Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the back of my trunk emblem to replace it? The upper latch has a plastic cover, is that removable? how do I remove the plastic "push" tabs? Do I have to buy new ones to replace them or are they reusable?

·
Registered
2012 OBM Premium RWD Coupe, Touring package
103 Posts
Are you just replacing the crest and wreath emblems? No need for full lid disassembly, those are just attached with double sided emblem tape. Cut through it with fishing line, then remove the remaining foam and adhesive. There are 2 holes on the trunk lid where locating pegs on the crest emblem go through, so you'll have to fishline saw from all sides of the crest towards the center. You may have a ghosting outline from oxidized/weathered clearcoat compared to the pristine protected area under the foam tape, you can buff that away by hand with a microfiber towel and cutting compound.

Wipe area clean with alcohol before you attach the new emblems.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you just replacing the crest and wreath emblems? No need for full lid disassembly, those are just attached with double sided emblem tape. Cut through it with fishing line, then remove the remaining foam and adhesive. There are 2 holes on the trunk lid where locating pegs on the crest emblem go through, so you'll have to fishline saw from all sides of the crest towards the center. You may have a ghosting outline from oxidized/weathered clearcoat compared to the pristine protected area under the foam tape, you can buff that away by hand with a microfiber towel and cutting compound.

Wipe area clean with alcohol before you attach the new emblems.
Great, I thought I would to go from the backside to unscrew a nut or something. My current emblem is sun faded. I want to remove the "3.6" & "CTS" and replace the crest. Do you know if the new crest emblem will fit? do you know if it's the same thing for the front?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used the rear ATS Coupe crest for mine (23157691) since it's the most angled, but the CTS coupe trunk has a serious peak, so none of the new style crest emblems will fit without modification. Some people just give'r with heat and bend the whole emblem to match the shape of the coupe trunk, which works, but it creases the chrome a good amount.

I separated the colored insert from the chrome emblem, cut relief notches along the top bottom and inside of the emblem, then heated and bent to match the shape. Reassembled the colored insert (after cutting it in half to match the new shape), added new emblem tape, covered the holes on the trunk lid, and stuck it like the avatar pic shows.

The front emblem is really integrated into the shape and design of the grill, so trying to stick on a new style emblem is going to look really obvious. It works best with a blank aftermarket grill, either those mesh ones from ebay, or a V bumper conversion which come with badgeless grills. I left mine alone since I was doing a V bumper swap anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Premium CTS4 Wagon
187 Posts
Has anyone done a true emblem delete? As in remove the emblems, sanded down the back panel, filled the holes, and repainted everything? Unless you already needed to repainted the trunk it probably wouldn't be worth it, but then again I do plenty of shit that isn't worth it so maybe someones done it?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Reactions: RAGordy

·
Registered
103 Posts
AJO713 what color is your car? There are companies that sell color matched vinyl patches for covering nicks and dings instead of a full repair and respray. Might be worth a try as a temporary thing in case you don't like the debadged look.

wcthunder, did you post a picture or link to the emblem you have? Is it a LED back-lit emblem? You can wire your emblem +ive wire to one of the Low Beam fuses or relays in the engine fusebox.

·
Registered
2013 Premium CTS4 Wagon
187 Posts
Im not sure of the exact color, but its black with a heavy flake. That's an awesome idea tho... I might just have to try that. I didn't think of putting a little bondo on and just using a paint pen, but.... hmmmmm If I do it ill put up a picture!

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,852 Posts
Im not sure of the exact color, but its black with a heavy flake. That's an awesome idea tho... I might just have to try that. I didn't think of putting a little bondo on and just using a paint pen, but.... hmmmmm If I do it ill put up a picture!
Sounds like black diamond tricoat.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AJO713 what color is your car? There are companies that sell color matched vinyl patches for covering nicks and dings instead of a full repair and respray. Might be worth a try as a temporary thing in case you don't like the debadged look.

wcthunder, did you post a picture or link to the emblem you have? Is it a LED back-lit emblem? You can wire your emblem +ive wire to one of the Low Beam fuses or relays in the engine fusebox.
no, I forgot :halo:...look again....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ha.

That's gonna take some dremeling to fit flush against the mesh grill, cut a rectangle out and attach it.
I don't know how it's going to hold up to weather, definitely wouldn't trust that wire grommet to be waterproof as is, so seal it up before hand and don't use any silicone that releases acetic acid.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe Premium
165 Posts
I backlit my emblem over a year ago, details here, and weather hasn't been an issue. Maintaining a secure connection to the dimmer circuit's fuse holder has been the only annoyance, disconnected twice...just twice. I used the Gorilla rubber cement.

I connected my emblem to the light pipes so they're on whenever the lights are on. There was rationale at the time for wiring it that way, but I cant remember now :confused: It's probably in the thread.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I backlit my emblem over a year ago, details here, and weather hasn't been an issue. Maintaining a secure connection to the dimmer circuit's fuse holder has been the only annoyance, disconnected twice...just twice. I used the Gorilla rubber cement.

I connected my emblem to the light pipes so they're on whenever the lights are on. There was rationale at the time for wiring it that way, but I cant remember now :confused: It's probably in the thread.
Well did you start a business? I want to buy one. I just want mine to look like Mercedes or Toyota...

Reactions: RAGordy

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe Premium
165 Posts
Well did you start a business? I want to buy one. I just want mine to look like Mercedes or Toyota...
I looked into it at the time, but there were a couple of key parts that I had issues sourcing, e.g., I added a chrome-plated cone that sits behind the emblem which allows the backlight to bounce 90 degrees through the glass. The light output quadrupled!
Image-1.png
I had this piece lying around the shop, and couldn't find something reasonably priced to package and sell. If I do, I'll sell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts