Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Deville
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone to Advance and they checked the Battery, Starter and Alternator. All of those was good. In the mornings I have to turn the key several times to get the car to start. Once the car is warm it will crank right up once I have driven it. I did replace the fuel pump last weekend. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? I did have to filled the coolant resevoir up this weekend with coolant.

·
Registered
94 Deville
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Calvin it started before. It was the only code that came up and I had other signs that indicated the fuel pump had to be replaced. ie the sensor was skipping so I knew it had to be replaced.

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
did you do the fuel filter? how are you plug wires mine go all the time and can cause rough idle and hard starts. did you check the pressure after replacing the fuel pump I went through 3 before I got one that worked and all where new.

·
Registered
94 Deville
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I replaced the fuel filter beside the rear tire. What do you mean by plug wires? How do you check the pressure after the fuel pump has been replaced?

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
spark plug wires they can get burnt where come in contact with metal aka the engine block will leave white make on wire. to test fuel pressure you have to hook a gauge the the shrater valve witch is on the fuel rail. if this is a N* does it skip on start up or is there smoke when first starting car?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Any stored DTC's?

'94 Deville has a 4.9 engine. Devilles didn't get the Northstar until '96.

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
ok with 4.9 still check the plug wires and fuel pressure and see if there is fluid in the fuel pressure regulator, also see if the throttle control motor is functioning(it will move periodically)

·
Registered
94 Deville
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Calvin I will check the spark plug wires this weekend also the fuel pressure rail. When I start the car it skips on 3 tries then on the 4 try cranks up. Ranger the last time I checked the codes. The indication was for me to replaced the fuel pump. I will check the codes when I get off work today. Yes I have a 4.9 also.

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
check battery connections and grounds. but sounds to me like it is the throttle position motor.these are problematic in mine don it 5 x in 180000

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
easy if you take off the throttle body(TB) not so much if it is in place so I take off the TB clean it and the clean or check the egr passages(little tubes under throttle body) you need a torque wrench to put TB back on a harbor freight will do and make sure you use new gasket and clean the surfaces. it can be done w/o removal of TB but requires more patience and a relly small star bit for clearance. if TB never removed and cleaned before it is just a good Idea to do it this will improve throttle response also.

----------

before that is there eny codes on this car

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Next time you go to start it, crack the throttle ever so slightly with you foot and see if it starts right up. If so, it's the ISC motor.

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
I would say check the relay not sure how w/o a diagram of it.
also check your fuel pump electrical connection mabey do this first.
was this code there before you did the pump ?

----------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts