Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2020 Escalade Prem Lux Shorty, white/Kona.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at quarter tank of gas I decided to fill up. After putting the pump nozzle in and started pumping the nozzle auto shut off and no matter what I did it kept auto shutting off even pumping slowly or fast. I could only get 2 bucks worth of gas In. i tried two other gas stations and same thing happened. I’ve only got about 2000 miles on her and it has done this before. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I never top off by the way. I believe the times I’ve had success filling up has been with older pump nozzles. This make any sense?? Any suggestions from the knowledge base? Thank you.

· Registered
96 FWB
4,773 Posts
Used to be if someone kept topping off then the nozzle would 'load up' and impossible for the next person to make it work. The attendant would have to come out and shake the crap outta the nozzle to unload the 'clog' for the next person. But I ain't heard of that in several years.

Another issue from more recent years is or was anyone who did keep topping off would fill up the vent line for all manner of difficulty, as you're describing. But then you mention you don't never top off.

Your car isn't old enough to suspect a worn/broke EVAP system, unless it got loaded with fuel somehow.

Sorry, more ???? than you started with eh.

Reactions: KRDCAD

· Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
658 Posts
Defective EVAP component from the factory is possible. Or maybe it got overfilled before you got the car, check out this thread:

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for replying. I tried filling up again today but no go. the odd thing is the fuel gauge says I’m full, but after yesterday and today’s attempt Ive put in maybe a gallon of gas and it was at a quarter tank yesterday. So something is f’d up, I’ll call my caddy service dept tomorrow and post results.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caddy dealer called me to say the evap canister is full of gas and that’s why it won’t take any gas. I got the “don’t top off after the pump clicks off” which I don’t do. The only fill up I didn’t do was the first one when I took delivery. I suppose it only takes one time topping off to fill the evap canister?

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Cadillac app that lets me check on my car, such as where it’s parked and driving activity. So just out of curiosity I checked it out — I knew they would have to drive it to a gas station to make sure I wasn’t a dufus who didn’t know how to pump gas. Anyway, I could see at 2:56 p.m. the exact route he took to the gas station 3 miles away. There were 5 hard accelerations, 3 hard braking and 1 burst to 80mph Or greater. And it showed me the exact time of all these events. I’m not upset about it just thought it was interesting.

· Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
658 Posts
The only fill up I didn’t do was the first one when I took delivery. I suppose it only takes one time topping off to fill the evap canister?
Yup, that is why I don't trust the auto shut off function on gas pumps anymore. I keep my ear by the filler and as soon as I hear that slight change in sound, I click off.

· Registered
2016 CTS VSport
444 Posts
I have the Cadillac app that lets me check on my car, such as where it’s parked and driving activity. So just out of curiosity I checked it out — I knew they would have to drive it to a gas station to make sure I wasn’t a dufus who didn’t know how to pump gas. Anyway, I could see at 2:56 p.m. the exact route he took to the gas station 3 miles away. There were 5 hard accelerations, 3 hard braking and 1 burst to 80mph Or greater. And it showed me the exact time of all these events. I’m not upset about it just thought it was interesting.
I have the app, never seen that function. Can you elaborate?

Russ

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Continuing saga of my v-sport won’t take gas — new evap canister didn’t do it, still won’t take gas and shows full on gas gauge. Dealer still has car and have contacted Cadillac engineering, who are saying the CTS has two gas tanks connected by a tube and they think the tube has disconnected and one of the tanks is full. I don’t know about that, wouldn’t it be leaking gas if that was the case?

· Registered
2016 CTS VSport
444 Posts
It shows up on the caddy app which has a connection to o star.
It’s part of “connected services” thru on star which I got “free” for 2 years when I bought my v-sport.
Ya'll keep saying that, so WHERE is it? WHAT is it under? I have these menus listed:
  • Share Location
  • Send to Vehicle
  • Vehicle Status
  • Vehicle Service
  • Wi0Fi Hotspot
  • Owner Manual
  • Preferred Dealer
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Remote Commands
Those are all I have and there is no obvious answer on any of the sub-menus on my app...

Russ

· Registered
2016 CTS VSport
444 Posts
My version shows 3.30.0 (3245). I looked at my "Plan Info", it shows "Basic Plan" which also shows to include "Cadillac Smart Driver", yet it's not there. Time to start poking around...

Russ

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to be of assistance. It’s interesting info, I look at the after drive info all the time. It doesn’t take much to register a hard exceleration or hard braking. If someone else drives your car you can see exactly where they went.
update on my car, the dealer now has approval to replace the gas tanks and the senders, hopefully the filler tube is included. they found nothing wrong with the existing gas tanks.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update for closure on this topic. The new gas tanks and associated innards solved the problem. Gas gauge reads proper and have had two fill-ups with no problems although I’m not letting the pump automatically shut off so I’m filling almost to full. Cheers!

· Registered
2003 CTS Base and 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
573 Posts
Just an update for closure on this topic. The new gas tanks and associated innards solved the problem. Gas gauge reads proper and have had two fill-ups with no problems although I’m not letting the pump automatically shut off so I’m filling almost to full. Cheers!
By chance, would you have the part numbers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts