We have some cleanup work to do today -

1000 Tuesday -

Front "lawn" up to 5" deep - looking W from up on the N-S gravel road

DSCN1063.JPG

From the garage front to the gravel road - NE

DSCN1061.JPG

Garden and shed - SW

DSCN1058.JPG

Still draining east as of 1000 today - 3 of us raking shredded leaves and sticks. Mosquitos. The place looks like a big green salad. Most water we've had in our 33 years here, including FLOYD, SANDY, ISABEL.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,335 Posts
Looks extreme. We had terrible weather in NW Europe all of July. Now it finally got well. And you have it now.

Did you register any damage. Seems like water is up to the foundation?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No damage. A few small tree limbs down, lots of litter. Yes, water reached the foundation for about 270 degrees of the whole. This island is all clay and sand so there are no basements here - and each home has a good sump pump - our entire footer has an inside channel that dumps to a 20 gallon sump. Of course, until the entire water level recedes, the sump pump gets a workout.

Our property is about 13 feet above MHW (Mean High Water) so we don't like to see high winds pack water up the Chesapeake Bay, especially during a rising tide.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
WOW!
how long before that amount of water recedes?

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rain petered out and stopped at about 1030 - 1100. Karen took those pictures at about noon and the water level had receded markedly by 5 PM - we have quite a system of swails and shallow runoff ditches. You could HEAR the water running out of the 10" culvert under the gravel road eastward for over 6 hours.......... two events helped: The wind went NW quickly, which tends to blow water out of the Chesapeake Bay and that wind shift occurred at about two hours after the tide had begun to fall. Blind luck and superstition wins out over skill and science once again!

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,043 Posts
First thing jumped out at me is you must be living right. You know you could have ended up reporting appreciably more and worse of everything. Hopefully that's the end of your turn this season.

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
During my years of large boat ocean sailing I've seen some right hairy stuff. ISAIAS was an inconvenience, nothing more. 26 years of submarining was fun, too.

(Easy to be smug when you've dodged a bullet.....:cool:)

Been there, done that -

·
Registered
Something German S550, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
529 Posts
I'll take some of that rain. I haven't seen rain since March. In the next year or 2, I'm moving where there is rain at least every other week or at least for a few days once a month. My roses and me hate 14+ hrs of sun every day.

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here on the upper Eastern Shore of Maryland we have had, as of right now. just over 10" of rain since Sunday night. Hellish line of thunderstorms from 0330 to 0600 this AM. More coming (forecast) late today.

A call to our local forecast office, NWS, Mt. Holly, NJ revealed that we (Kent Island) were in some of the worst wind/rain areas during ISAIAS' passage.

If you're a weather junkie, look into becoming a SkyWarn spotter for NWS in your area. Trained "civilians" who report all sorts of weather conditions in real-time to the local NWS office.

skywarn2.jpg
skywarn.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,335 Posts
Hope you get it cleaned up.
Today was our first day above 30C. Will continue next two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts