Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V A8
82 Posts
Given the advice from my forum friends, I contacted Trifecta to let them know I track my car and they responded with assurance that the car will be safe.

Here is what I sent them:
Hi, I have a question about the tune I just ordered.
I regularly track my car at desert road courses where the temperatures sometimes reach over 100 deg F. I want reliable performance through 30 minute track sessions of hard driving and will sacrifice some performance to ensure reliability. I don’t want to be throwing codes and going into limp mode like my friend’s tuned BMW 335.

So, would it be possible for my tune to be configured as follows:
Tour Mode – near stock performance.
Sport Mode – max performance street driving on CA 91 octane premium gas.
Track Mode – high performance with bulletproof reliability on 91 octane CA gas with RoyalPurple MaxBoost added to each tank of gas, suitable for desert road courses in summer heat.

Here is a link to my YouTube channel. You can see the RPMs and throttle I use while at the track. I use Track/Race mode when tracking my ATS-V.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RKTROY2

Thanks. I’m really looking forward to my new tune.
Have a great Christmas!

Here is Trifecta's response:
Hi Roy,
Thanks for the follow up. The calibration is issued with stock Tour mode. As for Sport and Track, we can't customize each driving mode for different fuel types or additives. Those are global tables and will apply to all modes.
That being said, you don't have to worry about the vehicle going into limp mode etc. Our calibration has many custom programming features. One of them is that it'll automatically adjust performance, no matter the mode you are in, to keep the engine safe. These aren't hard coded values like on other tunes, that the engine will try to achieve no matter what, leading to issues. It'll adjust itself on it's own. So if after a few pulls temps are too high, fueling isn't where it needs to be, etc, it will simply pull power to keep the engine safe and the vehicle consistent.
We do offer specific high output calibrations for boostane etc. That would be done via a separate calibration. You would flash and use that for the specific settings, like using boostane in the tank for your track session.
Thanks,
Michael
TRIFECTA Performance Support
That's also how stock tune and every other competent tune works unless you turn the engines nannies off.

All they're telling you is that you're car won't blow up on the road course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,801 Posts
That's also how stock tune and every other competent tune works unless you turn the engines nannies off.

All they're telling you is that you're car won't blow up on the road course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think that was basically his question. Not every "competent" tune does that. Many, whether you know it or not, alter the safety limits within the tune in order to squeeze a little more power over the other tuners. Everyone thinks this tuner is hot shit until an engine or 2 blow. Then the truth comes out.
Trifecta has been at this game with GM cars for quite some time. They build tunes that are safe, consistent, and deliver strong performance that is reliable. They will tweak up the power and responsiveness if you are running higher octane but will check your logs to verify knock is under control.

They also tune the transmission more toward performance but I'm not sure what changes there. I know I can feel the difference and rather than judge it by dyno's, which is the worse way to judge a tune, I judge it by performance times.
With the stock tune I was hitting consistent 4.0-4.2 second 0-60's on the street with PS4 tires. With the initial tune I was consistently hitting 3.8-4.0. With the revised tune and 98 octane I can hit 3.55-3.65 all day long.

I haven't run a quarter yet but I imagine based on the above changes I'm conservatively sitting at the low to mid 11's.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
I couldn’t wait till Xmas so I installed my tune last night. This morning I took the car out for a test in the Angeles Forest. It just so happened that I got behind a brand new Corvette ZR1 (no plates yet), a Camaro ZL1 1LE, and a C7 Z06. I’m sure they saw the bright red 4 door Caddy in their mirrors and tried to drop me – but it wasn’t happening! I turned on my PDR to record the fun.
My butt dyno tells me that the Trifecta tune makes the car more frisky and responsive, however I won’t know for sure until I take the car to the track next year.
Enjoy.
Blessings.
Roy.
ATS-V Chasing Chevys

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I couldn’t wait till Xmas so I installed my tune last night. This morning I took the car out for a test in the Angeles Forest. It just so happened that I got behind a brand new Corvette ZR1 (no plates yet), a Camaro ZL1 1LE, and a C7 Z06. I’m sure they saw the bright red 4 door Caddy in their mirrors and tried to drop me – but it wasn’t happening! I turned on my PDR to record the fun.
My butt dyno tells me that the Trifecta tune makes the car more frisky and responsive, however I won’t know for sure until I take the car to the track next year.
Enjoy.
Blessings.
Roy.
ATS-V Chasing Chevys
Glad you're enjoying it. You do know you're not going to stay with a new ZR1 right? If he wanted to pull away and knew how to drive he would have. At the least, with your tune, he has nearly 300 more HP and weighs 500lbs less.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
713 Posts
Yes. One can datalog the car regardless of calibration and send to Trifecta to take a look at.
A little confusing as the system asks you which calibration file you want to datalog. It is actually looking for you to name and to assign a location for your log file.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all:

As promised, I’m writing a more detailed review after having the Trifecta tune programmed in my ATS-V for several days now, and have sought opportunities to experience it in various scenarios. As you will see, I have been blown away, and couldn’t be more pleased with the “bang for the buck” this upgrade provides an ATS-V driver.

My ATS-V is a 2017 sedan, 6-speed manual transmission, with approximately 12,500 miles. Prior to adding the Trifecta tune, it was 100% stock.

First off, let’s start with an overview of what the tune does. Trifecta’s website provides a very descriptive explanation of how the Trifecta tune brings the stock ATS-V’s 464hp to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600hp. Although the LF4 is advertised to provide 18lbs/in2 of boost from the twin turbochargers, those that watch the digital boost gauge have likely asked the same question I did. “How can we be achieving 18psi of boost when the most I ever see on the gauge is 12psi?” And the answer is because our LF4s do not provide 18psi (at least mine doesn’t), the reasons for which I do not know.

The Trifecta tune brings the maximum boost up from around 12psi to around 18psi, and also provides what Trifecta describes as, “active rail pressure management, bi-directional enhanced knock control and zoning, enhanced engine and transmission response,” and various other features. Their website goes into detail for each of these features. The tune is also advertised as significantly enhancing the 8-speed auto transmission; although as noted I have the 6-speed manual.

Trifecta also provides what, to me, was a convincing argument as to choosing their tune over taking my car to a local dyno shop, noting, “Why buy a tune from a dyno shop that might run your car on the rollers 10 times when you can buy from a company that's channeled over several hundred dyno pulls' worth of testing into their product? Rather than relying on a “dyno tuner” that may or may not have experience tuning the ATS-V (but almost certainly to their local area only), with TRIFECTA you can rest assured you're purchasing from the company that's been in the GM factory turbo vehicle tuning business longer than anybody else, in many cases pioneering the tuning aftermarket for these vehicles. The TRIFECTA ATS-V calibration has been subjected to over 300 chassis dyno pulls, on dynos across multiple continents, and tens of thousands of test miles have been accumulated in virtually every climate, elevation and season.” As I mentioned, this was a convincing selling point to me personally.

I would never describe the ATS-V as being underpowered in its stock form. Those of us (i.e., most of us) that have read and watched the multiple reviewed by the various car magazines and auto journalists have seen the incredible stock performance displayed by the ATS-V, such as zero-to-60 in 3.8 seconds (MotorTrend actually achieved 3.7 seconds), while receiving near-unanimous praise for its incredible handling, steering feel, chassis stability, strong braking performance, and track programming modes. During my research and conducting test drives in the quest of deciding what my next car would be, I knew within five minutes of driving the ATS-V that both the BMW M3 and MB AMG C63s had each fallen a notch in their ranking on my personal comparison list. Plus, with Audi deciding not to bring the new RS4 to the US market, the decision to buy the ATS-V became even easier. Also, an attractive factor for me is that the ATS-V is something I don’t see every day on the roads. I enjoy being a little different and unique, and I’m certainly not a person that buys just for the name or emblem, or the perceived status symbol.

I have greatly enjoyed the ATS-V in its stock form, but soon decided I wanted to experiment with a little more performance. Given the inherent increased ability to tune cars with forced induction, I started by looking at performance upgrades via changes in calibration. After researching the options, the Trifecta tune appeared to be developed over considerable time with precision, by a company that seemed to know what they were doing. I asked multiple questions prior to buying, and they were professional and detailed in their responses (more on that later).

Purchasing the tune from Trifecta provides the buyer with the tune itself and the cable that connects the user’s laptop (via USB port) to the ATS-V’s OBD-II port. Trifecta asks for your VIN number, presumably to ensure their tune is customized for your car (i.e., year, transmission type, etc.). Their website is well-developed and convenient to use. Customers can ask questions via a personalized “forum” type of experience, with just the customer and Trifecta Q&A. I asked multiple questions prior to purchasing, and the team at Trifecta were consistently very quick to answer my questions thoroughly and in a professional, patient, and friendly manner. Once your tune is ready, it is available for download in the customer’s forum. The customer also receives a detailed list of the types of additional modifications that are compatible with the Trifecta tune. For example, one of my questions was whether the tune would need to be adjusted for a set of down-pipes and mid-pipes that I have on order from my friends at Weapon-X. Luckily, the stock tune is 100% compatible with downpipes, with cats or cat-less. However, the stock tune is not compatible with aftermarket air intakes. Thankfully that was not an issue for me, given my ATS-V was 100% stock.

Installation was conducted using Trifecta’s step-by-step installation guide, which also includes a video of the process. Installation was completed without a hitch, and took about 15 minutes from start to finish. Couldn’t be easier!

So, here are my summarized observations after driving for a few days with the Trifecta tune:

- I’m very impressed with the increased power! This car is now incredibly fast; night and day versus stock!

- The added power is quite linear throughout the powerband, meaning it’s not an on/off type of feel. The power is very smooth in its delivery, feeling almost as if
it were a stock LF4 but with significantly more power and torque. And speaking of torque, this motor is now very “torque-ee.”

- Trifecta’s site has the dyno charts. The horsepower and torque provided by the Trifecta calibration are available early…literally from about 1,500rpm through to
the redline.

- You never get the feeling that the new calibration is something that’s been added “on top” of what was already there. Rather, it’s more of “an overall integrated
package” of performance (I hope that makes some sense!).

- In its stock form, I could tell when the turbos had worked their way up to boost (approximately 3,500rpm). As you all know, the stock LF4 does have some level
of turbo lag, but much less pronounced than many other turbocharged cars. The Trifecta tune seems to even out the boost even further, to where any feel of
turbo lag has been further minimized.

- The added power is very usable, and controllable assuming the user exercises reasonable judgment. Obviously with this much power, you can get yourself into
trouble. Not unlike how one can get into trouble with a stock ATS-V, or any car in this league of performance. However, it’s easily managed based on how much
gas you give it. Again, just use reasonable judgment.

- The ATS-V’s chassis and suspension handles the increased power very well. At no times have I felt like the engine was out-performing the car’s ability to handle.
I think this is a testament to how good the ATS-V’s stock chassis and suspension have been designed. The integrated package, with power and handling, truly
makes one think this is what the ATS-V was designed for.

- All stock functionality continues to work perfectly. The Trifecta tune does not impact tour mode, but is present in sport and track settings.

- I’ve attempted a few launch controlled starts, in both the track “1-wet” and “2-dry” settings, and one in full track just for grins. It’s been anywhere from 12
degrees to 25 degrees here over the past few days. My stock Pilot Super Sports stay very hard in this temperature and, needless to say, the pavement is
extremely cold. Not surprisingly in these conditions, traction is a challenge. I was able to get some decent launches by modulating the throttle less than what I
would in warmer, stickier conditions. I can’t wait till we get back to good weather when the Pilot Super Sports are sticky and the roads are hot. I imagine the
traction challenges will be more manageable then.

Overall, I couldn’t be more pleased! Bang-for-the-buck, I personally feel this is an awesome upgrade! As mentioned above, I have some down-pipes and mid-pipes ordered from Weapon-X, and can’t wait to see what this beast is like once I combine those with the Trifecta tune!

As always, the items noted in this post are just my opinions, my $0.02. However, I’ve tried to be reasonably objective, and hope this is helpful to the others that have expressed interest in possibly getting a tune for their ATS-V.

NO MORE DISCUSSION ABOUT WARRANTY MATTERS WITH AFTERMARKET TUNES - If you wish to debate that topic, then start your own thread. Please be respectful and stop hi-jacking posts on different topics.

For those who wish to discuss the performance improvements from the Trifecta tune, or have legitimate questions about the Trifecta tune, I'd enjoy talking.

All the best - Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to say it Mike but you have quoted allot from the website and give me the feel you work there the way you worded your thread. ?
Anyhow I'm debating the tune especially for the better tranny shifts. To bad the don't adjust touring also. Random rough shifts and 8to7 back and forth shifts. Shouldn't be in 8th gear until freeway really. I just havent found allot of people talking about the tune.
Happy New year.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I hate to say it Mike but you have quoted allot from the website and give me the feel you work there the way you worded your thread. ?
Anyhow I'm debating the tune especially for the better tranny shifts. To bad the don't adjust touring also. Random rough shifts and 8to7 back and forth shifts. Shouldn't be in 8th gear until freeway really. I just havent found allot of people talking about the tune.
Happy New year.
They leave touring mode alone for those times you just want to cruise comfortable. You have 2 modes and 5 performance levels with the tune so that's plenty. They can also change some other options upon request

·
Registered
2020 XT5, 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
382 Posts
They leave touring mode alone for those times you just want to cruise comfortable. You have 2 modes and 5 performance levels with the tune so that's plenty. They can also change some other options upon request
I would prefer the tune on all modes. And they will do that for you if you ask. It takes too long to switch modes when you want power.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
I was finally able to try out the Trifecta tune yesterday at Willow Springs. The car felt fast and responsive and was 100% reliable all day - 144 miles of track time, using 24 gallons of gas at 6 MPG. The weather was cold so the car never got very hot. I was able to beat my previous lap times by about a second (last time I was at Willow Springs was in October before I installed the tune). I hit a top speed of 133 on the front straight which is a few MPH faster than last time (but frankly my speed is more limited by my courage through turn 9 and how late I brake before turn 1).
Overall I'm quite satisfied with my Trifecta tune.
Blessings.
Roy.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
Occasionally I would hit the rev limiter before the upshift and a couple of times I got 6th instead of 4th. Ha ha. I have a manual so any shifting errors are on me. I never look at the boost psi - too busy on a road course to look down. The only reason I know my top speed is that it is recorded by the PDR.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
How about the transmission shifts etc? How much PSI was max boost?
Thank you for your time.
Sean.
Max psi is usually 18 but can go to 20 depending on temps, barametric pressure, etc...
Transmission tuning is a bit more subtle. What you notice is less tip in required for the trans to kick down and holding gears longer when trans is in performance mode.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all:

As promised, I’m writing a more detailed review after having the Trifecta tune programmed in my ATS-V for several days now, and have sought opportunities to experience it in various scenarios. As you will see, I have been blown away, and couldn’t be more pleased with the “bang for the buck” this upgrade provides an ATS-V driver.

My ATS-V is a 2017 sedan, 6-speed manual transmission, with approximately 12,500 miles. Prior to adding the Trifecta tune, it was 100% stock.

First off, let’s start with an overview of what the tune does. Trifecta’s website provides a very descriptive explanation of how the Trifecta tune brings the stock ATS-V’s 464hp to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600hp. Although the LF4 is advertised to provide 18lbs/in2 of boost from the twin turbochargers, those that watch the digital boost gauge have likely asked the same question I did. “How can we be achieving 18psi of boost when the most I ever see on the gauge is 12psi?” And the answer is because our LF4s do not provide 18psi (at least mine doesn’t), the reasons for which I do not know.

The Trifecta tune brings the maximum boost up from around 12psi to around 18psi, and also provides what Trifecta describes as, “active rail pressure management, bi-directional enhanced knock control and zoning, enhanced engine and transmission response,” and various other features. Their website goes into detail for each of these features. The tune is also advertised as significantly enhancing the 8-speed auto transmission; although as noted I have the 6-speed manual.

Trifecta also provides what, to me, was a convincing argument as to choosing their tune over taking my car to a local dyno shop, noting, “Why buy a tune from a dyno shop that might run your car on the rollers 10 times when you can buy from a company that's channeled over several hundred dyno pulls' worth of testing into their product? Rather than relying on a “dyno tuner” that may or may not have experience tuning the ATS-V (but almost certainly to their local area only), with TRIFECTA you can rest assured you're purchasing from the company that's been in the GM factory turbo vehicle tuning business longer than anybody else, in many cases pioneering the tuning aftermarket for these vehicles. The TRIFECTA ATS-V calibration has been subjected to over 300 chassis dyno pulls, on dynos across multiple continents, and tens of thousands of test miles have been accumulated in virtually every climate, elevation and season.” As I mentioned, this was a convincing selling point to me personally.

I would never describe the ATS-V as being underpowered in its stock form. Those of us (i.e., most of us) that have read and watched the multiple reviewed by the various car magazines and auto journalists have seen the incredible stock performance displayed by the ATS-V, such as zero-to-60 in 3.8 seconds (MotorTrend actually achieved 3.7 seconds), while receiving near-unanimous praise for its incredible handling, steering feel, chassis stability, strong braking performance, and track programming modes. During my research and conducting test drives in the quest of deciding what my next car would be, I knew within five minutes of driving the ATS-V that both the BMW M3 and MB AMG C63s had each fallen a notch in their ranking on my personal comparison list. Plus, with Audi deciding not to bring the new RS4 to the US market, the decision to buy the ATS-V became even easier. Also, an attractive factor for me is that the ATS-V is something I don’t see every day on the roads. I enjoy being a little different and unique, and I’m certainly not a person that buys just for the name or emblem, or the perceived status symbol.

I have greatly enjoyed the ATS-V in its stock form, but soon decided I wanted to experiment with a little more performance. Given the inherent increased ability to tune cars with forced induction, I started by looking at performance upgrades via changes in calibration. After researching the options, the Trifecta tune appeared to be developed over considerable time with precision, by a company that seemed to know what they were doing. I asked multiple questions prior to buying, and they were professional and detailed in their responses (more on that later).

Purchasing the tune from Trifecta provides the buyer with the tune itself and the cable that connects the user’s laptop (via USB port) to the ATS-V’s OBD-II port. Trifecta asks for your VIN number, presumably to ensure their tune is customized for your car (i.e., year, transmission type, etc.). Their website is well-developed and convenient to use. Customers can ask questions via a personalized “forum” type of experience, with just the customer and Trifecta Q&A. I asked multiple questions prior to purchasing, and the team at Trifecta were consistently very quick to answer my questions thoroughly and in a professional, patient, and friendly manner. Once your tune is ready, it is available for download in the customer’s forum. The customer also receives a detailed list of the types of additional modifications that are compatible with the Trifecta tune. For example, one of my questions was whether the tune would need to be adjusted for a set of down-pipes and mid-pipes that I have on order from my friends at Weapon-X. Luckily, the stock tune is 100% compatible with downpipes, with cats or cat-less. However, the stock tune is not compatible with aftermarket air intakes. Thankfully that was not an issue for me, given my ATS-V was 100% stock.

Installation was conducted using Trifecta’s step-by-step installation guide, which also includes a video of the process. Installation was completed without a hitch, and took about 15 minutes from start to finish. Couldn’t be easier!

So, here are my summarized observations after driving for a few days with the Trifecta tune:

- I’m very impressed with the increased power! This car is now incredibly fast; night and day versus stock!

- The added power is quite linear throughout the powerband, meaning it’s not an on/off type of feel. The power is very smooth in its delivery, feeling almost as if
it were a stock LF4 but with significantly more power and torque. And speaking of torque, this motor is now very “torque-ee.”

- Trifecta’s site has the dyno charts. The horsepower and torque provided by the Trifecta calibration are available early…literally from about 1,500rpm through to
the redline.

- You never get the feeling that the new calibration is something that’s been added “on top” of what was already there. Rather, it’s more of “an overall integrated
package” of performance (I hope that makes some sense!).

- In its stock form, I could tell when the turbos had worked their way up to boost (approximately 3,500rpm). As you all know, the stock LF4 does have some level
of turbo lag, but much less pronounced than many other turbocharged cars. The Trifecta tune seems to even out the boost even further, to where any feel of
turbo lag has been further minimized.

- The added power is very usable, and controllable assuming the user exercises reasonable judgment. Obviously with this much power, you can get yourself into
trouble. Not unlike how one can get into trouble with a stock ATS-V, or any car in this league of performance. However, it’s easily managed based on how much
gas you give it. Again, just use reasonable judgment.

- The ATS-V’s chassis and suspension handles the increased power very well. At no times have I felt like the engine was out-performing the car’s ability to handle.
I think this is a testament to how good the ATS-V’s stock chassis and suspension have been designed. The integrated package, with power and handling, truly
makes one think this is what the ATS-V was designed for.

- All stock functionality continues to work perfectly. The Trifecta tune does not impact tour mode, but is present in sport and track settings.

- I’ve attempted a few launch controlled starts, in both the track “1-wet” and “2-dry” settings, and one in full track just for grins. It’s been anywhere from 12
degrees to 25 degrees here over the past few days. My stock Pilot Super Sports stay very hard in this temperature and, needless to say, the pavement is
extremely cold. Not surprisingly in these conditions, traction is a challenge. I was able to get some decent launches by modulating the throttle less than what I
would in warmer, stickier conditions. I can’t wait till we get back to good weather when the Pilot Super Sports are sticky and the roads are hot. I imagine the
traction challenges will be more manageable then.

Overall, I couldn’t be more pleased! Bang-for-the-buck, I personally feel this is an awesome upgrade! As mentioned above, I have some down-pipes and mid-pipes ordered from Weapon-X, and can’t wait to see what this beast is like once I combine those with the Trifecta tune!

As always, the items noted in this post are just my opinions, my $0.02. However, I’ve tried to be reasonably objective, and hope this is helpful to the others that have expressed interest in possibly getting a tune for their ATS-V.

NO MORE DISCUSSION ABOUT WARRANTY MATTERS WITH AFTERMARKET TUNES - If you wish to debate that topic, then start your own thread. Please be respectful and stop hi-jacking posts on different topics.

For those who wish to discuss the performance improvements from the Trifecta tune, or have legitimate questions about the Trifecta tune, I'd enjoy talking.

All the best - Mike
How do I get ahold of you? I'd love to discuss this tune for my car.

·
Banned
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
357 Posts
Max psi is usually 18 but can go to 20 depending on temps, barametric pressure, etc...
Transmission tuning is a bit more subtle. What you notice is less tip in required for the trans to kick down and holding gears longer when trans is in performance mode.
That's without fuel mods. My car holds 20+ psi over 180mph with some fuel mods and an adjusted tune.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts