Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury AWD 2.0T Red Obsession
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

picked up some mulch which was wet and left it in the trunk for a day, leaked all over and now the trunk smells....vacuumed it out, used a rug cleaner, and leaving it open to air out...not as bad as before but still not great. I could take it somewhere and have it steam cleaned but wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,535 Posts
Spray it with OdoBan to kill any mold/mildew: https://odoban.com/products/odoban-original/ This stuff works great, I discovered it when my daughter was an infant and I found that those miracle odorless diaper garbage cans are anything but odorless however Odoban worked wonderfully with it. Follow up with some carpet fresh if needed, let it sit for a few minutes then vacuum out. But let the Odoban do its thing first to kill anything that got started there from the wet mulch.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
250 Posts
+1 on the Odoban. Might be worth sticking a Damp Rid-like moisture absorber in the trunk as well after you clean it - dollar stores usually have them for much cheaper than any other stores, and they can fit in the plastic tray thing on the passenger side of the trunk.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,535 Posts
Be very careful with the use of ozone generators because a lot of materials don't respond well to high ozone concentrations. I suspect most of the typical consumer models don't produce the ozone levels that they claim which is a good thing and although car materials are designed to be robust over a period of time to typical atmospheric levels of ozone they were never intended to be exposed to a concentrated atmosphere of ozone. It is damaging to many of the natural and synthetic materials used in cars. NO, you won't come back and fine everything turned to powder right after your treatment but it ages the material at a greatly accelerated rate. It also won't do any good if the base cause (i.e. active mold or mildew growth) hasn't been controlled.

Ozone treatment is very useful when properly applied in the right environment but there are far too many of these machines being purchased and used by people who don't really understand what they are doing and who think that if a little is good then a lot more must be better. A friend who should have known better used one of the better machines in an enclosed space and did a long treatment (5 hours) of a large quantity of electronic gear he had purchased from the estate of a smoker. Within a year he started seeing the damage to insulation, couplings, isolation/vibration mounts, and trim pieces. Oddly, the residue from cigarette smoke seems to be a pretty good preservative for non-living products but removing it the wrong way can easily result in damage. I used to use carbon tetrachloride often as a cleaner in electronic products because it is very effective and evaporates quickly without leaving a residue. Properly used carbon tet was a very effective chemical but improperly used it was extremely hazardous to humans (think very rapid and irreversible liver damage) and to a lot of components and it is probably for the best that it has been largely phased out because it was so easy to misuse. Ozone generators aren't as dangerous although you definitely don't want to expose yourself to a high concentration but be careful what else is exposed to this environment.

Rodger

·
Registered
17 ATS (ALICE)
46 Posts
I suspect most of the typical consumer models don't produce the ozone levels that they claim which is a good thing
Correct, they do not. Commercial units still cost thousands, I should add the car should be in well ventilated area ergo outside or in the garage with the door cracked. Also leave the car open outside for an hour or so before driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts