Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got around to changing out my triangle/parking/map light (or what ever its called lol) with LED bulbs. BUT I ran into a problem. I thought most folks on here were using a 5 led Matrix bulb (from autolumination)

and so that's what I ordered but when I went to put them in, THEY DIDNT FIT!! They fit into the socket just fine but couldn't get them to slide into place in the headlight. Did any of guys who did this replacement run into that issue and/or did you use different bulbs, if so which ones??

I ended using these for now

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I told you that you need to shave a little of the opening with a razor or something to get them to fit...

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way did you tell me that and if you did, no way did I remeber it lol... See I replaced them w/o taking off the bumper and headlight, that's a tight squeeze in there for a big guy. Guess I'm just gonna have to use another type LED. Just saw that they have this 194 tower LED, probably give that a try.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
See I replaced them w/o taking off the bumper and headlight, that's a tight squeeze in there for a big guy.
Yes, that would certainly make it difficult for 5-LED Matrix bulbs.

Guess I'm just gonna have to use another type LED. Just saw that they have this 194 tower LED, probably give that a try.
Looking at the information on autolumination, it seems that those SMT Tower LEDs are 10mm wide, which are just as wide as the Matrix ones. Might not work. I don't have one here at work, but you may want to measure those bulbs you've got and if they are actually 10mm or wider. If they are actually 13mm or so, then the tower LEDs should fit (if I remember correctly).

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the information on autolumination, it seems that those SMT Tower LEDs are 10mm wide, which are just as wide as the Matrix ones. Might not work. I don't have one here at work, but you may want to measure those bulbs you've got and if they are actually 10mm or wider. If they are actually 13mm or so, then the tower LEDs should fit (if I remember correctly).
Very true, good point, I'll take some measurements over the weekend.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK just did some measurements based on info from autolumination. The 5 led matrix bulb is actually 5/8 inches wide, 5|8 inches = 15.875 mm.. The the stock 194 bulb is 10mm x 27mm so the SMT tower should fit just perfect.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
The the stock 194 bulb is 10mm x 27mm so the SMT tower should fit just perfect.
With more than enough room. It would be interesting to see what these look like in there, as they might be the perfect alternative for corner lights and sidemarkers.

The website clearly says they are 1/2" wide (9.5mm), but I had a feeling that was not accurate. Thanks for measuring "over the weekend" though. ;)

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
Well I finally got around to changing out my triangle/parking/map light (or what ever its called lol) with LED bulbs. BUT I ran into a problem. I thought most folks on here were using a 5 led Matrix bulb (from autolumination)

and so that's what I ordered but when I went to put them in, THEY DIDNT FIT!! They fit into the socket just fine but couldn't get them to slide into place in the headlight. Did any of guys who did this replacement run into that issue and/or did you use different bulbs, if so which ones??

I ended using these for now
These fit fine. No shaving the housing or anything. I have them in my sides markers and parking lamps. Match my 10000k lowbeams perfectly too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-HID-WHITE-SUPER-REFRACTOR-5-LED-BULBS-194-168-158_W0QQitemZ280123770157QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
'09 CTS AWD Performance
89 Posts
OK just did some measurements based on info from autolumination. The 5 led matrix bulb is actually 5/8 inches wide, 5|8 inches = 15.875 mm.. The the stock 194 bulb is 10mm x 27mm so the SMT tower should fit just perfect.

Well, let me know how they look and if I should spend more money - I tried the 5-leds a few weekends ago, and had the same problem with it not fitting (after wedging myself into the wheel-well). Is there that much of a difference (besides color) if you don't put a 5-led in there and use the tower?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
Well, let me know how they look and if I should spend more money - I tried the 5-leds a few weekends ago, and had the same problem with it not fitting (after wedging myself into the wheel-well). Is there that much of a difference (besides color) if you don't put a 5-led in there and use the tower?
if you really want to use 5-LED bulbs look above at my post, i put a link in there with 5-LEDs that fit fine. not cutting or shaving the housing, they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
The tower ones look like they have the same field of view as the 5-LED ones. So, it should look just as good. Maybe better but I have never seen those LEDs first hand. maybe they are brighter?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I found some slim 194 LED bulbs at PEP Boys for $10. They fit in there easy, it's just a hard reach because I didn't remove the assembly.

They come in Blue or white, The white matches the HIDs better.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I took a picture, but I'm not that good with computers, when I clicked "Insert a Photo" it asks for a URL. how do I get the photo to a URL?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts