Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission went out last week, 105K on the 96 Eldo. Barely got it to the dealer. Aftermarket warranty co. is paying for most of the bill. BUT they are sending the dealer a used trany to put in instead of a factory rebuild with 3 yr 35k warranty. The used one supposadly has about 75K on it.

My next car is a Dodge magnum with Hemi.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ouch. Mine went out on my 95. I put a used one in from a 60K eldorado with every upgrade. It did just fine for the rest of it's life.

You really have to pound these trannys to break them, how did this happen?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
They are bullet proof. Fine print in aftermarket warr does say: used parts are acceptable. Could you convince them to have dealer rebuild yours??? (I realize many dealers farm out that kind of work.)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
They are bullet proof. Fine print in aftermarket warr does say: used parts are acceptable. Could you convince them to have dealer rebuild yours??? (I realize many dealers farm out that kind of work.)

Exactly, mine took a beating before I got it. The guy ignored the solenoids breaking and drove it around in second. This put too much pressure and heat on the 2-3 accumulator spring and when I fixed the solenoids, it saw third ONCE and it broke the spring into tiny pieces.

The fluid was almost black and the maganet had at least an inch of metal on it.

That is how much punishment these trannies can take.

·
Registered
95 aurora + 97 seville sls
23 Posts
My buddy has a 96 eldo with 267,00 miles and he beats the Sh*t out of that car. Original trans with no problems yet other than the solinoids.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
What is the point of the original post? Are you asking for help/guidence or opinions? or is this becoming a chat room? If you plan on keeping the car, pay the difference between what the warranty company pays for the used tranny and the 3/36 rebuilt. Labor charges remain the same. Their obligation is to return the car to you with the drivetrain fully functional with the approximate same mileage prior to the failure. If your extended warranty will run out prior to 3/36 then the extra money is well spent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts