Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew,

What do you think... possible/impossible?

I had the great fortune to come across 2 literally brand new non-HID enclosures at a junkyard. So now I am trying to figure out if I sell them or retrofit them.

I've been inside of a capsule, and I can see bolts inside to release components, I just cant remember if you can physically transplant it all.

·
Registered
2014 ELR, 2007 STS-V, 2005 STS4 1sg, 2004 SRX4, 2013 SRX Performance
27 Posts
Ive done it years ago. It wasn't easy and I had to cut a small square out of the side to reach one fastener.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sigma-V, I dug into this today and it appears the only difference between an HID and non-HID capsule is the top (low beam D1S bulb). The bottom (high beam H7 bulb) is identical.

Therefore, the main effort is transplanting all the optics, ballast, ignitor, etc into the new housing. This is ideal because the bolt which is actually difficult to reach (as per Sigma-V above) is actually one of the H7 assembly bolts, the D1S assembly bolts are all accessible.

Once I got the upper portion disassembled, I could manipulate the tabs, remove the bulb holder, remove the lens holder and lens, the cutoff shield and manipulate the assembly out of the HID enclosure, transplant into the non-HID enclosure. So far, I have one done.. going well, gonna complete the next one tonight. Also taking this oppty to replace all city light and side marker bulbs with LED and a new Silverstar zXe Gold for the H7.

Here is why this is amazing. You can buy new non HID capsules for like $250 each and use them as new headlamps vs buying HID assemblies for $800+. This is also a ton easier than another approach I have previously taken of heating the capsules in an oven to remove the covers.

Here are some photos. Another cool project!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished up... The Halogen capsules with transplanted HID inners are working great. Switching out the 194/168 bulbs in the city lights/markers for LED also looks way better.

It's so pleasing to see new headlamps vs the old yellow/foggy ones!

Attachments

·
Registered
06 SRX 3.6L 2WD
438 Posts
Not to diminish your accomplishment, but wondering if it would be possible to just transplant the lenses?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not diminishing at all, I appreciate the question because I've been there and done that.

You remove everything and heat up the capsules in an oven. It's a pain in the ass to separate them and even with care on reassembly they usually leak.

So... yes.. possible, but maybe an easier and better approach this way.

Your mileage may vary..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts