Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS 2.8L 6spd.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.8 6speed in my 05 cts.
There are other cts v6's as well...the 3.2 and 3.6 correct?
Does the 2.8, 3.2, 3.6 share the same manual gearbox?
Will a 3.2 clutch and pressure plate bolt up to my 2.8?
I can't seem to find an answer.
And the local cadillac dealer...doesn't know either.

Anyone here know?
My clutch pedal is crazy stupid stiff..its hydraulic..shouldn't be this stiff.
I know the pressue plate is bad...prior owner sat at lights holding clutch pedal in!
It makes me look like an amateur driver because of how jacked up it is.
Gear changes are jerky, starting off in first is like launching.
Doesn't slip tho..

Anyone? Ideas? Thoughts?
Thank you..
First time cts owner.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,819 Posts
This is from wiki, so take it with a grain if salt. But i do know that the 03 was offered with a 5 speed. I just wasn't sure when they switched over to the 6 speed manual.

"The CTS was originally offered with either GM's in-house five-speed 5L40-E automatic transmission or a five-speed Getrag 260 manual transmission. For the 2005 model year, the Getrag was replaced with an Aisin AY-6 six-speed."

KOT

·
Registered
05 CTS 2.8L 6spd.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But will a 3.2 clutch kit work with my 2.8?
I've seen that wiki info before and didn't really tell me much.
But if the 3.2 came with AY-6 trans then in theory..it should fit..
Maybe I should just rip everything out..and stuff the LS1 motor and trans I got from a WS-6 TA in it.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt
244 Posts
The 3.2 is a different engine design than the 2.8/3.6. I'd wager that the Getrag 5-speed found with the 3.2 will not work as a replacement for the Aisin 6-speed. I wouldn't count on any part of the 3.2 working with the 2.8.

5-speed bellhousing:

6-speed bellhousing:

As for swapping in the T56... look at a CTS-V T56 tailhousing / funky rail shifter arrangment - I seriously doubt the F-body shifter would end up in the right spot, and I'd also think that it wouldn't even fit in the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
05 CTS 2.8L 6spd.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww :( damn it. I've shoved a northstare engine in a fiero I'm sure I can make it fit and not work hahaha.
So the 2.8 is its own animal huh? Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. Kept me from making a major mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts