Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the Wide open Throttle. About 4 weeks later my deville starts misfiring and the check engine light comes on. The service dept said

Problem #1
My valve cover gasket is leaking oil into the the plugs causing miss fire

Problem #2
My TCC in stuck OFF

My first question is.... was all this the result of me trying the WOT??? Maybe I did something wrong.

My second question is.... I had Problem #1 fixed. I would like to know will it hurt my car if I drive it for a while without fixing problem# 2? (They want $1000 to fix)

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
I fail to see how a WOT could cause the VC gasket to fail.

TCC is "Torque Converter Clutch" and is the mechanism in the transmission that, at about 41-43 MPH in high gear, "locks" the converter, eliminating a bit of slippage in the trans and improving efficiency.

It's not a deal breaker, but a reputable transmission shop could probably do it for you for less than a grand. The T480-E is a bulletproof transmission.

Transmission Experts may chime in with better, more correct, or more enlightening information.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I agree with Jim.

The answer to the first question is no.

The answer to the second question is also no. The worst that will happen is, as Jim mentioned, there will be a bit of slippage. That is not a big deal. All automatic transmissions used to slip a little til VCC/TCC came along. You will see a small increase in RPM (100 -200) at any given speed and thus fuel economy will decrease but I would doubt it would exceed 1 MPG, if that.

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts
Check engine light comes on if the sensor detects bad emissions or misfire conditions. Bad emissions come from misfires. I really don't think a bad valve cover was the problem. I had a misfire condition 2 times. First time it was misfiring, I thought the car was really broke. Then I calmed down and looked around. Bad spark wire. Then about 6 months later, after a lot of WOT, it started misfiring again. It was a coil pack. $30 and 10 minutes later, it was running like a champ again. I think the dealer just wants $$$. Don't trust them. TCC is probably fine. How much did they charge to replace the gaskets?
If it cost more than new plug wires and a coil pack or two, then I bet he just got your money. Coil packs are about $30 a piece and new wires are about $65-$70.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts