Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a very strange encounter with my '99 Seville today. While stopping at a notorious lengthily traffic light, I switched gears to parking. At this very moment, the whole car shivered for a second or two, a burned smell was noticeable, and it sounded like another noisy compressor was just activated. The car felt quite rough and when I switched gears to D, the transmission seemed to have issues shifting gears. I vacated the very busy intersection and limped to a nearby gas station. I also noticed that the brake system was giving me some strange feedback (rocking vibration and a somewhat variable feedback like holding a clutch on the point when the car wants to go forward) and I had to step much harder and hold the pedal much harder than usual.

The idle RPM was totally stable the whole time. :hmm:

I then had dinner in a nearby restaurant to let the engine cool off enough and check the fluids. All seemed fine as far as I could tell with the little light I had left. I started the car and it purred like a cat. I drove home vary carefully with not further issues and no evidence of any problems ... :helpless:

Can anyone point me at what the issue is this time? :crying2:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,551 Posts
Sounds like a hiccup with the ABS.

Use your car's built-in diagnostic code system to see if the event set any trouble codes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apart from the codes below, no record of the incident seems to have been recorded:

RSS C C1738 C Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND
PCM C P0440 C Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System

PCM P1258 H Engine Coolant Overtemperature - above 268°F - Protection Mode Active (from my water pump incident)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,293 Posts
I had a very strange encounter with my '99 Seville today. While stopping at a notorious lengthily traffic light, I switched gears to parking. At this very moment, the whole car shivered for a second or two, a burned smell was noticeable, and it sounded like another noisy compressor was just activated. The car felt quite rough and when I switched gears to D, the transmission seemed to have issues shifting gears. I vacated the very busy intersection and limped to a nearby gas station. I also noticed that the brake system was giving me some strange feedback (rocking vibration and a somewhat variable feedback like holding a clutch on the point when the car wants to go forward) and I had to step much harder and hold the pedal much harder than usual.

The idle RPM was totally stable the whole time. :hmm:

I then had dinner in a nearby restaurant to let the engine cool off enough and check the fluids. All seemed fine as far as I could tell with the little light I had left. I started the car and it purred like a cat. I drove home vary carefully with not further issues and no evidence of any problems ... :helpless:

Can anyone point me at what the issue is this time? :crying2:
--------------------
any time something weird happens with your car -
the first thing you should do is check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so after the Caddy spend a night at the garage, they came up with the following diagnose:

- front engine mounts worn out
- rear transmission mounts worn out
- cam cover gasket bleeding oil (not too much though)
- spark plugs and wires worn out
- transmission system in need of drain, flush, and new fluid
- inner axle boxes bleeding grease
- front and rear brakes low, rotors too low for resurface
- one fuel line corroded, needs replacing
- left rear shock bleeding air

That pretty much sounds like a call for a new car, I presume.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Well, most of these items are normal maintenance jobs that almost every single car will need after 100k miles. You may be able to live with cam cover gasket leak for awhile.

So this is basically what you expect to see in a 14 year old car. OK, let me correct myself, this is basically what you expect to see in a 14 year old car that has not been maintained regularly, and as a result problems have stacked up.

By the way, I think you shouldn't flush the transmission. It may break the transmission's inner mechanisms.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
A shop will tell you to change parts/fluids based on cars age/miles AND if you provide prior service history. If you tell them you changed trans fluid and plugs in the last year they Might back peddle. Or they might flat out lie and say the new parts are defective and need to be changed. They have your car on lift and want your money. What do you think they will say?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, let me correct myself, this is basically what you expect to see in a 14 year old car that has not been maintained regularly, and as a result problems have stacked up.
I have had full inspections scheduled annually for the car with:

- all four brakes being completely done 14 months ago.
- Oil changes were always done ahead of schedule because I drive less than 2500 miles a year in the Seville.
- last complete inspection was done while replacing a faulty water pump in Oct., 2012

A shop will tell you to change parts/fluids based on cars age/miles AND if you provide prior service history. If you tell them you changed trans fluid and plugs in the last year they Might back peddle. Or they might flat out lie and say the new parts are defective and need to be changed. They have your car on lift and want your money. What do you think they will say?
I do indeed suspect foul play back here at San Antonio. It is getting incredibly hard to find capable and adequately honest mechanics and the spread in pricing is incredible around here. A dealership quoted me around $8k to repair the necessities while the garage that swapped the water pump is insisting on everything being "ok" and "reasonably safe" for such an old car. According to this board, I was massively overcharged by the latter, though.

Additionally, it is getting harder to find a mechanic that actually wants to work on the car. I had places like brake check and discount tire flat out refusing to work on the car with one mechanic commenting: "the effort and my profit don't match". I did already ask in another thread here where to find mechanics but the return was rather slim.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,293 Posts
Ok, so after the Caddy spend a night at the garage, they came up with the following diagnose:

- left rear shock bleeding air

That pretty much sounds like a call for a new car, I presume.
------------------------
Cadillac motor mounts don't "wear out" - they break -
if it's BROKEN - it should be replaced -

same as above -

keep an eye on it - but let it go for now -

maybe - how many miles on the car now -
when was the last tune-up done -

what does the trans fluid message say on the DIC -
I see you overheated at some time - that could change the reading -
it usually displays 100% - or maybe 99% -

with the engine running - pull the trans dipstick - look at the color of the fluid -
if PINK - and doesn't stink - it's OK - just reset the message - just like the oil message -
if brown and smelly - have it changed - NOT FLUSHED - JUST CHANGED -

if the axle boots are torn - you need to replace them -
but it makes more sense to simply replace the entire axle assembly -

you can inspect this by yourself - in 30 seconds - sort-of -
simply by looking through the wheel - at the outer brake pad -
general rule of thumb -
when the brake pad material becomes the same thickness as the steel backing plate -
it's time to replace the pads -

I can't imaging going through a set of brakes in a year/3000 miles -
even under the harshest driving conditions -
UNLESS the brakes are all hanging up -
and I'm sure you would have noticed/smelled it -

OK - understandable for a 14 year old car -

- left rear shock bleeding air -
again - understandable for a 14 year old car -
but it also looks like the exhaust valve in the compressor assembly is defective -
so you might need a new compressor - along with rear shocks -
OR - you COULD just install new rear shocks - and a MANUAL-FILL kit -
Monroe MA822 rear shocks are $57.47 for the pair - on Amazon.com -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C55T7W/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=12608657607&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17222161911304666523&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_3m61hp7t3d_e
and the manual fill kit is # AK29 - less then $10 -

like the others have already said - this is all just maintenance stuff -

clear all the codes - and see what comes bacj -

there are still some good honest REAL mechanics out there -
you just have to find one near you -

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the car inspected by two additional mechanics and they pretty much invalidated the dealerships error list. One was lifting the car and showed me all problematic areas in and under the car. The bill was down to around $1k for everything - even minor repairs. However, at this point I decided to sell it because literally every time when I switch the key, a new problem arises out of the blue. I seem to have a confused alarm system now, so when I open the door or the trunk (even by remote), the alarm sounds.

Probably I just had a cursed car but I am all but impressed from Cadillac so far. My wife has an equally old Pontiac and that poor thing is literally driven to the ground with very spotty maintenance, body damages, and zero willingness to repair anything major - yet it purrs like a cat and runs, runs, runs. The big difference is that she, in contrast to me, is always buying the cheapest stuff around, like power steering fluid at the gas station for $3 and the car gladly accepts it, while the Seville is thanking new high quality fluid with building up a leak. Same goes for oil changes, tune-ups, and so on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts