Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car pulls to the left. New tires, struts, motor mount, stabilizer links, rotors, pads and passenger CV Half Shaft. Had alignment verified and tires rotated by Southern Tire. They put the car on rack, put in neutral and checked the tires. The front passenger tire only spins 1/2 way around and stops, other tire does not move. (both wheels off the ground) The front driver tire spins freely and does not effect the pasenger side. They recommend bring to transmission shop. Said when both wheels of groung and in neutral opposite tire should spin in opposite direction of tire being spun by hand. Only transmission code car every had and still has every now and then is the P0717. They believe transmission may be what cause CV half shaft to go bad. Does this sound like it's time for new/rebuilt transmission or could it be something simple? Car has 79,900 miles, 96 SLS. Body and seats are in great shape, motor also. Any suggestions on where to bring or avoid? Live near New Orleans. Also any comments on new versus rebuilt and related costs.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't see how the other tire should spin the opposite way, but I could be wrong. Is the transmission shifting bad? I would't suspect the transmission of causing it.

For the price paid for the new parts, you should have taken it to a dealer. That is where i would go.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Said when both wheels of groung and in neutral opposite tire should spin in opposite direction of tire being spun by hand.
I believe that is correct.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The transmission can turn and the other wheel will be stopped if you're in neutral. If you want the opposite wheel to turn backwards you put the transmission in park.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Said when both wheels of groung and in neutral opposite tire should spin in opposite direction of tire being spun by hand.
I too believe that is correct. The differential in the tansaxle is what does it... Almost sounds like the Axle on the drivers side isn't engaged with the differential pinions.

It is possible to tear down that part of the tranny without taking the engine/tranny out. You would have to do it from the passenger side wheel well.... But I have no idea how extensive the repair would end up being. Could be a simple broken snap ring letting the axle slide out of it's pinion, or it could be something worse. Either way you would need to take apart the differential in the tranny to fix it.

I would recommend that you take it to a reputable transmission shop

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
The transmission can turn and the other wheel will be stopped if you're in neutral. If you want the opposite wheel to turn backwards you put the transmission in park.
Absolutely. The input being locked will cause the other wheel to turn the opposite way of the one being spun. Put it in park on an auto or in gear on a stick and this will happen. It SHOULD NOT happen in Neutral.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Can't remember if when I have seen that it was in neutral or park, but I know very little about transmissions.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
That is correct. With non-posi differential the tires will rotate in opposite directions when one is turned.

Check the ball joints. They can cause the car to feel like it pulls on acceleration if they're really bad. Just a thought. I had that happen.

I believe that is correct.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
That is correct. With non-posi differential the tires will rotate in opposite directions when one is turned.

Check the ball joints. They can cause the car to feel like it pulls on acceleration if they're really bad. Just a thought. I had that happen.
Also check the castle nut holding the ball joint in place. When the car is lifted and the load is removed from the suspension, it is very hard to see if it is loose. It will cause the car to do all kinds of strange things under power or sometimes when braking. It doesn't have to be very loose at all either, just a couple turns. There should be a cotter pin to lock it in place, but I have seen them break or perhaps not be replaced.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan to put the car on stands tonight to check wheel movement myself. Great point about caliper - I will check as well and report back!

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car on jack stands - here are the results:
Car in park - spin drivers side: 1/2 turn then stops - passenger side spins 1/2 turn in opposite direction also stops.
Car in park - spin passenger side: 1/2 turn then stops - drivers side spins 1/2 turn in opposite direction also stops.
Car in neutral - spin drivers side: turns freely, full rotation no resistance, passenger side does not move.
Car in neutral - spin passenger side: 1/2 turn then stops, turn in opposite direction - 1/2 turn and stops - drivers side does not move.

Any comments or suggestions.

Did not find any drag in calipers. Called a friend with shop (usually busy with paying customer) who knows transmissions but does not work on Cadillacs due to lack of Caddy knowledge. He can't look at this week but I can bring by on Monday (hopefully). He has trans shop he trust that can fix if trans is the problem.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Car on jack stands - here are the results:
Car in park - spin drivers side: 1/2 turn then stops - passenger side spins 1/2 turn in opposite direction also stops.
Car in park - spin passenger side: 1/2 turn then stops - drivers side spins 1/2 turn in opposite direction also stops.
Car in neutral - spin drivers side: turns freely, full rotation no resistance, passenger side does not move.
Car in neutral - spin passenger side: 1/2 turn then stops, turn in opposite direction - 1/2 turn and stops - drivers side does not move.

Any comments or suggestions.

Did not find any drag in calipers. Called a friend with shop (usually busy with paying customer) who knows transmissions but does not work on Cadillacs due to lack of Caddy knowledge. He can't look at this week but I can bring by on Monday (hopefully). He has trans shop he trust that can fix if trans is the problem.
I think the tranny is fine...
Did you check the rear calipers too? Are the two front tires different? were the two front tires installed at different times (different amounts of tread life)?

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All four tires were installed July 22, 2007 (Mich Symeterys). Brand new rotors and pads on all four wheels as well. I did not check rear wheels for drag - guess I should. Probably check when car is on lift at friends shop. The front passenger side tire not turning freely in park or neutral concerned me. Anybody done similar test? Is this correct? I thought both tires would make full rotations in either direction without resistance if car was jacked up and in neutral or park.??????

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When it rains it really really rains!!!!! Yesterday started hearing whinning noise from drivers side of engine. RPMs go way up and car acts like it does not want to go into gear. Whinning and crying (the car and me) the whole time. Will shift to all gears - eventually. Have had the pc0717 code for past 2 years. No other codes. Now what??!! Bringing to friend on Monday if car will make it. Fluid was low so I added to correct amount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts