Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Deville,N*with 70,000 miles. During acceleration from a stop the transmission seems to be slipping briefly and then reengaging. This problem is worse if you begin to accelerate and then let off the gas and then resume acceleration. Local dealer road tested it with a scan tool but was unable to come up with any fault codes. His solution was to put in a rebuilt trans-misssion for $4000 (not happening).My solution was to have him change the fluid. The problem still exists. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
275 Posts
saltine did they also change out the transmission filter and clean the tranny pan of any metal shavings? Also check your engine moutns and be sure they are all in good shape,sometimes a broken engine mount can make a transmission seem like its slipping,when the "slipping" the tranny seems like its doing is really the engine jerking around under acceleration. last thing is $4,000 is bit much for a rebiult tranny you can get it done for half that if not less from a reputible transmission repair shop. The dealerships always charge more money because they have more over head than some small shop. I hope this helps you out some check these things and get back to us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they changed the filter and cleaned the pan. Engine mounts are good.
It is definetly the transmission slipping.If I hit the traction button in the glove box(causing the transmission to start out in 2nd gear)the problem goes away.It seems to be something to do with the 1st gear clutch engagement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts