Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 2001 Deville (basic) with 51k miles. The 30k service was done at the dealer in 2003 and the transmission flush was a part of that service.

What I am experiencing is when I start the car, especially when it has been sitting for a few hours or at the beginning of the day. If I immediately put it into gear it doesn't go anywhere. If I wait, say 15 seconds than it is fine.

The second thing is if I slow down and then hit the gas again, there is a brief delay and the then the car "jerks" forward. This is most noticeble at lower speeds (parking lots, yield signs in my neighborhood, etc)

The fluid is full and does not smell burnt. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I apologize for not being of much help to you.

Was the tranny fluid FLUSHED and REPLACED?

Or was the transmission fluid pan dropped, the filter replaced, and the new fluid added?

There is a big difference between the two. A FLUSH can do more harm than good. I was told this by a reputable transmission shop in my area that has been in this business for 15 years, even though they can make more $$ for flushes, they don't do it.

According to the technical section in here, the transmission fluid on these cars do NOT need replacement on a regular basis. Under normal conditions, they should last the life of the car. In fact, if the Driver Information Center says transmission fluid life is close to 100%, and it should, fluid should not need replacement.

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts
I have the same problem in my 99, minus the jerky feel in low speeds. I got my fluid replaced and it still does it. I didn't flush either. It's been doing it for a while now and it hasn't gotten worse so I'm happy. Mostly does it in cold weather though.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
"According to the technical section in here, the transmission fluid on these cars do NOT need replacement on a regular basis. Under normal conditions, they should last the life of the car. In fact, if the Driver Information Center says transmission fluid life is close to 100%, and it should, fluid should not need replacement."

Maintenance schedule for my 04 Deville says change trans fluid and filter every 50,000 miles. You could void your warranty otherwise.

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear. It's Friday afterall!

I don't have the Maintenance schedule in front of me. Does it say replace every 5yrs/50k miles no matter what? Or under severe driving conditions, replace every 5yrs/50k miles?

Anyway, here's what the tech section had to say on Tranny Fluid Life Monitor:

Transmission Fluid Information (check this discussion for references): (back to the top)

Transmission fluid is not like engine oil. It is not exposed to blow by and by products of combustion. It does not see copius amounts of water from blowby on coldstarts. There is not much to deplete the lubricating characteristics of the trans oil and the antiwear and special friction modifier packages are very robust and stable. The temperature of the transmission fluid is pretty carefully controlled in the cooling development for the car. About the only thing that will shorten the transmission fluid's life is excessive heat and excessive heat for long periods of time. Since the modern transmission fluid has a high synthetic content it is pretty stable even at temps approaching 300°F. So...the things that govern and oil change in an engine do NOT apply to the transmission. Not at all.

The transmission fluid life "counter" in the display uses the transmission temperature as a means of judging the transmission fluid life. As long as nothing is done that the algorithm sees to shorten the life of the fluid it will stay at 100% virtually forever. If you start towing trailers or running extended heavy load operation you will see the transmission fluid life decrement fairly rapidly. If it is "stuck" on 100% then that means that the operating parameters that the PCM sees for the transmission fluid have all remained well within the guidelines for life time use of the transmission fluid. The transmission oil life monitor does not operate the same way the engine oil life monitor operates so you will typically see it stay at 100% in most cases.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
"According to the technical section in here, the transmission fluid on these cars do NOT need replacement on a regular basis. Under normal conditions, they should last the life of the car. In fact, if the Driver Information Center says transmission fluid life is close to 100%, and it should, fluid should not need replacement."

Maintenance schedule for my 04 Deville says change trans fluid and filter every 50,000 miles. You could void your warranty otherwise.
Read that again. I would suspect that is for "severe" service.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
yes, thats correct.

It basically states to change it when the DIC tells you, or follow the maintenence schedule if the vehicle is used mainly under severe conditions:
-heavy city traffic in high temps (90+)
-hilly terrain
-trailer towing
-limo service
-high performance operation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts