Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been experiencing what I can best describe as what feels like a short shutter or running across shallow rumble strips at highway speed.

This has occurred when I’m at the lower speed end of a higher gear. When I give enough gas to speed up, but not enough to downshift, as it begins to accelerate I feel what I can best describe as a shallow rubble strip in the road. It doesn’t happen every time, but enough to make me notice it.

I’ve been able to deliberately reproduce it once, but it would seem like there has to a perfect condition to make it happen. I just haven’t figured out how to do it every time. It hasn’t done it in manual.

I figure it has to be transmission or differential related.

Has anyone experienced this as well or any ideas as to what it could be?

I’m reluctant to bring it in as it’s not easily reproduced.

It’s a 2017 with just shy of 10k on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Sedan
49 Posts
Re: Transmission Shutter

Pretty sure there's a service bulletin out for exactly that. They replace the transmission fluid I believe. So shouldn't have any issues at your dealership.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Transmission Shutter

Well, I guess I should’ve read the post a few down on the torque converter shutter. Looks like this could be the issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes. There's a TSB for it. 58-62 mph in 8th gear with light acceleration is where I found the issue. Felt like driving over rumble strips.
Took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they changed the Tranny fluid and filter. Seems ok now, tried to replicate 3-4 times now and haven't had a issue. They said it would take 150-200 miles for fluid to work its way into system fully, but seems to be working well just after 50 miles. Transmission actually seems a bit smoother too.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
634 Posts
I started to really notice my shudder at 8k on the odo, now I have 11,000 and its getting worse each day. I'm finally going to get this address, here is what I've compiled from all the various 8-speed auto threads over the past year.

*Unlike the harsh 1-2 shift that mostly occurs when the car is cold, the shudder gets progressively worse as the transmission oil warms up.
*The two scenarios where the shudder is most evident is (1) during 20-40 MPH stop-and-go traffic and (2) with the cruise control set at 70MPH and watching the transmission shudder for a blink (tach dips 1-200 rpm's) every 8 seconds.
*Make certain the techs are using "version 3" Dextron HP fluid (should be marked after Dec 2017).
*A more "permanent" fix is still under review and will be rolled out in early 2019.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I started to really notice my shudder at 8k on the odo, now I have 11,000 and its getting worse each day. I'm finally going to get this address, here is what I've compiled from all the various 8-speed auto threads over the past year.

*Unlike the harsh 1-2 shift that mostly occurs when the car is cold, the shudder gets progressively worse as the transmission oil warms up.
*The two scenarios where the shudder is most evident is (1) during 20-40 MPH stop-and-go traffic and (2) with the cruise control set at 70MPH and watching the transmission shudder for a blink (tach dips 1-200) every 8 seconds.
*Make certain the techs are using "version 3" Dextron HP fluid (should be marked after Dec 2017).
*A more "permanent" fix is still under review and will be rolled out in early 2019.
Yep. Had same experience. Driven 350 miles now after fluid change, and all seems good so far. 60-70 F weather and now 38-40F in the morning, no issues warm or cold. Tour mode is real smooth now.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made an appointment today to have this addressed. I’m just over 10K in miles and it’s becoming more prevalent.

Thanks for all the replies and guidance!

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
634 Posts
I made an appointment today to have this addressed. I’m just over 10K in miles and it’s becoming more prevalent.

Thanks for all the replies and guidance!
I just did the same, got the car back yesterday. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im having these same issues 2017 ATS.
I bought it at 30K miles and has gotten more noticeable. Now at 39K miles and took it in for warranty work on the touchscreen and to fix the shudder.

Dealership is telling me that its due to have transmission serviced at 45K therefore it will cost me $400+ to have transmission serviced/ flushed.
which makes no sense to me. This problem is covered under the warranty from everything Ive read so far.

Im going to dealership tomorrow with the TSB #16-NA-175 in hand and asking them to explain how they are trying to charge me $400 to flush my transmission.

I can understand charging for transmission maintenance service but does changing fluid/filter cost $400?

Anybody that can give advice on how I should handle this is appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You have proof of acknowledged pre-existing condition with TSB. They will see work of TSB has never been done on that VIN and therefor overrides any scheduled maint. needed.
Willing to bet they do the work, doesn't matter to the dealer, they bill GM for the work on the TSB. They are just a dealer that provides services of selling and services, they are employed by the manufacture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They already acknowledged it needed to be flushed and that was their first step to take in correcting it. Then this afternoon he calls me saying since it’s close to service date that GM is going to tell them car needs transmission service before they’ll fix it and it’ll cost me $400+.
I understand they will be paid by GM to do the flush that’s why I’m confused with the reasoning they told me as to why it will cost me $400.
If they refuse to do the flush under warranty is there anyone else I can contact to fix the issue?

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
634 Posts
My shudder is better since the flush and the tach seems to stay at a steady RPM when in cruise control. However, the harsh 1-2 shift is 100 x worse since it was returned! I'm guessing when they performed the service they re-programed the transmission shift points back to manufacture specs? I'm just going to wait until spring once they've announced the permanent solution and then I'll just get everything fixed at once.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,704 Posts
My shudder is better since the flush and the tach seems to stay at a steady RPM when in cruise control. However, the harsh 1-2 shift is 100 x worse since it was returned! I'm guessing when they performed the service they re-programed the transmission shift points back to manufacture specs? I'm just going to wait until spring once they've announced the permanent solution and then I'll just get everything fixed at once.
Hate to say it but the harsh 1-2 shift is part of the personality of this car. Not to say it shouldn't be happening but it seems GM has gone the route "there's nothing we can do".

What I've noticed is if you bring up the trans fluid temp on your DIC, keep an eye on the temp and you'll notice that once the trans reaches 120 or higher the harsh shift goes away. The further below that number it is the more prevalent the harsh shift will be. Keep that in mind if you want to duplicate the issue at the dealership. The winter is a good time to address this with the dealership because the cold weather helps keep the trans temp low. I was waiting till I got close to mid 40k miles before I addressed it. I'm about there now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hate to say it but the harsh 1-2 shift is part of the personality of this car. Not to say it shouldn't be happening but it seems GM has gone the route "there's nothing we can do".

What I've noticed is if you bring up the trans fluid temp on your DIC, keep an eye on the temp and you'll notice that once the trans reaches 120 or higher the harsh shift goes away. The further below that number it is the more prevalent the harsh shift will be. Keep that in mind if you want to duplicate the issue at the dealership. The winter is a good time to address this with the dealership because the cold weather helps keep the trans temp low. I was waiting till I got close to mid 40k miles before I addressed it. I'm about there now.
I agree with 1-2 shift being harsh on this car, especially when fluids are cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
update:
my local dealership has refused to flush transmission unless I pay them $400 b/c he says its to close to service milage ( 39K on car, service recommended at 45K)
I talked to other local mechanics and transmission shops and they all agree with me. Dealership should flush under warranty for no charge regardless of service mileage.

I found an out of town dealership that told me they'll flush it for no charge and the mileage makes no difference either way. Its covered under the warranty.

The local transmission shop said he has fixed this same problem by changing and adding a lubricating additive to the fluid back to it but I dont want to void the warranty possibly. But he says this is exactly what GM does also to fix the issue.

At this point I may just take it out of town and have it flushed and documented so if problem arises in future I will have documentation of warranty work.

My other option is to pay local shop to do routine maintenance then take it back to local dealership and tell them now that its had transmission fluid changed per GM recommendation ( although before 45K miles) that they have no excuse not to flush my tranny under warranty.

I have since learned my local cadillac dealer has a reputation for this type of poor customer service/ warranty work. This was my first and last time dealing with them.
Does anyone have a GM contact info that I can discuss my issues with? I doubt corporate would be impressed with this level of service or lack thereof being shown here

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,704 Posts
update:
my local dealership has refused to flush transmission unless I pay them $400 b/c he says its to close to service milage ( 39K on car, service recommended at 45K)
I talked to other local mechanics and transmission shops and they all agree with me. Dealership should flush under warranty for no charge regardless of service mileage.

I found an out of town dealership that told me they'll flush it for no charge and the mileage makes no difference either way. Its covered under the warranty.

The local transmission shop said he has fixed this same problem by changing and adding a lubricating additive to the fluid back to it but I dont want to void the warranty possibly. But he says this is exactly what GM does also to fix the issue.

At this point I may just take it out of town and have it flushed and documented so if problem arises in future I will have documentation of warranty work.

My other option is to pay local shop to do routine maintenance then take it back to local dealership and tell them now that its had transmission fluid changed per GM recommendation ( although before 45K miles) that they have no excuse not to flush my tranny under warranty.

I have since learned my local cadillac dealer has a reputation for this type of poor customer service/ warranty work. This was my first and last time dealing with them.
Does anyone have a GM contact info that I can discuss my issues with? I doubt corporate would be impressed with this level of service or lack thereof being shown here
I would contact Cadillac customer service and let them know what that dealership told you. That said, I would still bring it to the other dealership and make sure that they are performing the TSB. The purpose of the TSB is to make the problem go away so if the triple flush and quick relearn on the transmission doesn't fix the problem they still have to figure out how to fix it which is contained in the TSB.

Do not have some shop that thinks they know how to fix it do the work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
update:

correction: local transmission shop called his friend which happens to be one of the service managers at dealership who is on vacation this week. The same guy I talked with last friday that told me the problem, their solution and it was covered under warranty. However he's not there this week so Im dealing with another service manager that is telling me its not covered.

anyway transmission shop will use the new fluids GM uses with the lubricant already added and flush the system for $160. I'll have documentation that it has been serviced just not by dealership. The friend that is on vacation says it doesn't have to be serviced by dealership but I'm worried it the problem arises again will GM void my warranty since dealership didnt service it?

Im thinking it may be best to take it out of town and have it flushed by dealership that will document it under warranty work at no charge.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts