Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought a 1993 Fleetwood. It has 143,000 miles on the clock. It runs perfectly and seems to have been well-taken care of. After purchase, I changed the oil and filter, replaced pcv valve and air filter, changed the gas filter, and put in new coolant. Here is my question: should I change the transmission fluid, too? I've heard that it may be best to "leave well enough alone" but I've also heard that it's a good idea to change it. I have no idea if it has ever been changed at all; it may be the original stuff in there. The tranny doesn't slip and it shifts smoothly. What do the experts here in this forum suggest I do?
Thank you from upstate NY

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Change? YES, by all means. FLUSH? NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER flush a trans!! It does destructive things.

GM states that you drop pan, drain fluid, change filter, and reinstall and install new fluid. Nothing more.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
^^What he said. Never flush (threatens disturbing too much in there), just change the fluid and filter.

We bought our '93 w/ 88.5k on the clock and it still seemed fine, so we waited until just after 100k to have the fluid and filter changed--all is well, and it still shifts like new.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
And I can speak from experience (I worked as the grease monkey in an oil change shop, sucky job, but you learn a lot in a hurry, and I got free oil changes every tuesday!!), watch for the trans filter seal, it often gets stuck in the trans and when you install the new filter, it stacks 2 seals, and causes a leak.

Just make sure both filters look identical on the tube going up.

·
Registered
93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala
728 Posts
I must be lucky, when I worked for chevy I had every car I bought flushed, heres the list 93 fleetwood 130,000 miles 90 fleetwood 67,000 miles 91 fleetwood 72,000 miles 95 chevy 1500 truck 190,000 miles and never had a problem, oh and my 98 sls 85,000 miles. Not saying to do it I have just never had a problem.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
It is very risky. I don't know who came up with it, but forcing fluid backwards or forwards through a trans is very dangerous.

#1 best way to change trans fluid:
Drop lower cooler line and put in backup of fluid, at least 2x OVERHAUL amount
Connect hose to upper cooler line and put in empty bucket.
Start car. (ensure trans is warm prior to starting this!) and run till fluid is clean.

This is the only way to 100% change the fluid.

·
Registered
93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala
728 Posts
N0DIH said:
It is very risky. I don't know who came up with it, but forcing fluid backwards or forwards through a trans is very dangerous.

#1 best way to change trans fluid:
Drop lower cooler line and put in backup of fluid, at least 2x OVERHAUL amount
Connect hose to upper cooler line and put in empty bucket.
Start car. (ensure trans is warm prior to starting this!) and run till fluid is clean.

This is the only way to 100% change the fluid.
Thats how mine were done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts