Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 saville STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 Saville STS, high idle when at a red light, car wants to take off on me. When driving the car speeds up without me on the gas padel. High idle in park or neutral. Please help

·
Registered
92 saville STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm back now With some codes.

-HISTORY-

R061-SIR (Supplemental Inflatable Restraint) Indicator circuit failure.
E030-ISC (Idle Speed Control) RPM out of range.
E098-High RPM P/N to D/R shift under ISC.

-CURRENT-

A048- Low Refrigerant Pressure.

From all that my guess would be to replace the ISC, did I get it right? As far as the other codes I have no idea, but hopefully somebody can help me.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
Yeah, that does not sound like a trans problem at all. Looks more like an ISC motor problem.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
The FSM would have a test procedure, but I'm not sure how to do that. You might take the closed throttle switch apart and try cleaning the contacts.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
I had a very similar problem in an '86 Thunderbird--high idle, car running away--and a good cleaning and lubrication of the idle speed control solved the problem for years until I sold. Not sure if there is any similarity between the controls, but a good cleaning and lube rarely hurts anything that moves...

As to your other codes it sounds like your A/C charge is low (probably not working) and that the "Air Bag" service warning bulb may be burned out.

·
Registered
95 Seville STS
18 Posts
ht tp ://ww w . you tube. com /watch?v=qC1Omt5_ ItM

The forum won't let me post links yet. Take out the spaces in the link and there is a video to show you how to test it.

I'm not sure your 92 is the same as my 95 but there is a video I used to test mine. The 2nd one they show is what mine looks like.

When you put it back on the car connect the 9 volt battery to the 2 terminals to run the plunger all the way back in. Install it and check the gap between the plunger and accelerator, I think it should be .30 if I remember, someone else can verify this. You make have to turn the bolt on the plunger in or out to get this.

My car was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor. Again I'm not sure your 92 Seville is the same as my 95.

·
Registered
92 saville STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just taking a look at the ISC, I didn't test it, no jumper cables. But I did notice I would like grinding noise it almost sounds like it's spinning and it's making contact with the walls. And when I shut the engine off, it keeped on going. Now I know it's a motor, but I dont think that loud grinding noise is normal. Is that the cause of the high idle?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
Look at the plunger. If when it is idling high, the plunger is in contact with the throttle hammer, then that is most likely the cause.

·
Registered
92 saville STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time and helping, I will pay it forward. @stevillests thx, that video. I did exactly what was on it, and yes its the ISC. @ranger yes the plunger was in contact with the throttle hammer and would not disengage or engage. Again thx for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts