Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood 75 Series Harvey
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, I like to share a problem with my 1987/1988 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Series.

The car has a FWD automatich transmission, which locks and/or 'slips' in Drive. Reverse is excellend and stong.

The weird thing about putting it into Drive, it will take of and immediately stops (brakes). The wheels are locked then (like braking or Park) and the is no way of moving it back- or forward at all by pusshing it by hand. Putting it into Neutral, it can be pushed easily back- and forward. Reverse is all OK.

Put the front on a jack, and does the same thing. Looks like the transmission is going into park or something with the braking bands (?).
When it is in Drive and it locks, the engine doesn't feel any resistance from the transmission and will rev up.

Maybe an easy fix instead of a full transmission swap?

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
This is a cable operated transmission. Check to be sure the shift cable is operating correctly. I have seen simular trouble caused by a loose nut on the trans selector lever where it hooks to the cable. Make sure it is really shifting into the gear you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts