Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 srx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner had transmission flushed/serviced at 95000 miles, transmission oil life indicator shows 42% life remaining at 103000 miles, when should I change fluid/filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated! P.s. great forum!

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
WILEY.......sitting at 42% remaining life, it sounds like the trans fluid life indicator was not reset back to 100% when the last owner had the transmission serviced. Did you check the owners' manual on how to reset it? May be something in there. Did you do a forum Google Site Search for an answer? You may want to try that.

If you check you owners' manual for scheduled maintenance, it says that under "normal" operating conditions the trans fluid life should be 150,000 miles (no time limit). Your vehicle has averaged 15,000 miles a year over its 7 model years (perhaps suggests lots of easy highway miles?). Many here have reported that @ 100K miles their trans fluid remaining life still sits at 100%, mine included, albeit at 84K miles. Wonder if the previous owner's driving conditions qualified for "severe service." Towing, routine high outdoor ambient temperatures, a lot of stop and go driving.

Just a thought. I don't think I have read any posts here since I joined the forum three years ago where that indicator ever moved off of 100%!!!! Maybe yours works and ours don't.:lildevil:

PJ

·
Registered
'08 SRX V6
542 Posts
Vehicle maintenance is a personal thing; some of us still adhere to 3k oil changes because that's how they grew up.
However, I've tried to form some opinions on observations:
- I've owned only 6 or 7 GM vehicles with auto trannys, and not a single one lasted past 60k miles, even with gentle care and regular fluid/filter changes. I know modern ones are better, but how much better; they still use clutches that wear and pour dust/crud into the system. But the SRX's are built in France, maybe that's better quality!!!
- The mileage indicators are obviously whacko if they are giving that kind of results that you guys are reporting. My V6 has no indicator, and calls for 50k severe, 100k normal changes.
- Many manufacturers have tried super-high maintenance intervals, to try to lure customers with the promise of low maintenance costs and the appearance of high durability. Mercedes actually touted a "good for life" tranny service interval for awhile, until they had too many tranny breakdowns during the extended warranty periods. And we all know how the oil-life indicator of about 15k miles worked out on the V6.
- I drive my V6 pretty easy; no rush-hour traffic, no high speed, no towing. I changed the tranny fluid at 50k, and it was the nastiest stuff I have ever seen come out of a transmission - totally dark gray, and a pretty good layer of clutch dust on the bottom of the pan and in the filter. But it had no symptoms, so maybe I'm over-reacting.

Based on info I have seen, most of the vehicles should get through the warranty period of 5 years/100k without trashing the tranny; and the majority of Cadillacs are leased for 3 years. So, probably a good economic call on GM's part. But what about us guys who want to buy a new Caddy and expect it to last 10 years?

Cheers,
DG

·
Registered
2006 srx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input PJ! I will check the owners manual on how to reset the transmission oil life sensor.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
687 Posts
I agree on the theory of failing to reset when they changed oil.
That would have been similar to my car because it was at 72% at 50,000 miles when I changed the fluid.
Mine didn't look nearly as bad as The Wrench describes above, but I like the idea of 50,000 mile changes.
Now if the [email protected] thing just had a dipstick and fill tube :mad2:

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts