Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
Yes, the days of grabbing some generic transmission fluid off the shelf and pouring it in seem to be gone. All makes are now indicating specifically-formulated oils for their moving parts. While some people might find that annoying, I think it's great that manufacturers are working with lubricant companies to tweak maximum performance and life out of their parts.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,758 Posts
Anyone have instructions on trans Service? On the SRX, you were able to Drain and Fill only. No Filter...

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
There is a filter inside the transmission, but I think it is accessible only by dissassembly.

The factory filler and drain plugs must be discarded at time of drain and fill.

I could not find detailed instructions for the drain and fill procedure, but it appears the drain plug assembly has an "over-flow tube" for the refill level.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
Here is the written instructions for transmission fluid service. After reading the procedure, the do-it-your-self-er will need to proceed with a lot of confidence. Personally, I think when the time comes, I will pay the dealer to do the service because my drive-train will be under warranty.

Level Checking Procedure
1. Start the engine with the A/C turned off.
2. Move the shift lever to all positions from "P" to "D", waiting at least 2 seconds at each position. Repeat this again, and then return it to "P".
3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
Note:

- The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

- Use only recommended automatic transmission fluid. Refer to See: Specifications\Fluid Types Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers.
4. Wait until the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35-45°C (95-113°F).
Note: Some residual automatic transmission fluid will drain from the level setting hole when the plug is initially removed.
5. Remove the transmission oil drain plug (1). Allow any fluid to drain.
a. Wait until the fluid first begins to flow as a steady stream and is within the specified temperature range, install the transmission oil drain plug (1).
Note: The fluid filler plugs installed at locations 1 & 2 at the vehicle assembly plant are one-time-use. They have an interference fit and do not have O-rings. Once removed, these plugs must be replaced. The service part (replacement plug) available in the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) comes with an O-ring. Lubricate the seal with AW-1 fluid and install the O-ring prior to installing the plug. At each subsequent service, the service part plug (replacement plug) O-ring seal must be replaced. It is a one-time-use part. It is available separate from the plug in the EPC.
b. If no fluid comes out and the temperature is within the specified range, add fluid until fluid drips out as a steady stream, and then install the transmission oil drain plug (1). Use only the recommended automatic transmission fluid. Refer to See: Specifications\Fluid Types Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers.
6. Using a NEW transmission oil drain plug seal (2), install and tighten the transmission oil drain plug (1) to 8 Nm (6 lb ft).
Condition of Automatic Transmission Fluid

Note:

- Insufficient automatic transmission fluid level will cause the oil pump to draw in air, causing the line pressure to decrease. This causes the clutch to slip, resulting in malfunctions such as a burned clutch.

- Excessive/over filled automatic transmission fluid level will cause the gears in the automatic transmission to agitate the automatic transmission fluid, causing bubbling and malfunctions such as deterioration. If the vehicle is driven under this condition, the automatic transmission fluid level can increase and the automatic transmission fluid may blow out of the transmission breather vent hose.

- If the automatic transmission fluid contains an excessive amount of metal or friction material, internal wear of the automatic transmission is suspected.
1. Check that the automatic transmission fluid is free of foreign matter.
Note: If the automatic transmission fluid is cloudy, water contamination is suspected. Inspect the cooling system.
2. Check that the automatic transmission fluid is not discolored.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
It is becoming more common for manufacturers to use these "overflow" style fluid level check with out a dipstick/filler tube. It saves weight and reduces parts. I've been doing this style change on Mercedes-Benz cars for over 10 years now. On those transmissions, you fill by pumping fluid in through the drain plug, and then the level is checked by the drip rate. A steady flow of fluid is overfilled, and when it changes to a slow drip, then it's at the right level. On those, it must be done with the transmission pan level, car lifted, engine running and transmission fluid at 113F. It's generally not something a DIYer will tackle because of the level lifting.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Procedure is Very similar to my S Class.... Except on the Mercedes you can drain the Converter, Change the Filter and Clean the Magnets in the pan....

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium AWD
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the written instructions for transmission fluid service. After reading the procedure, the do-it-your-self-er will need to proceed with a lot of confidence. Personally, I think when the time comes, I will pay the dealer to do the service because my drive-train will be under warranty.

Level Checking Procedure
1. Start the engine with the A/C turned off.
2. Move the shift lever to all positions from "P" to "D", waiting at least 2 seconds at each position. Repeat this again, and then return it to "P".
3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
Note:

- The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

- Use only recommended automatic transmission fluid. Refer to See: Specifications\Fluid Types Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers.
4. Wait until the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35-45°C (95-113°F).
Note: Some residual automatic transmission fluid will drain from the level setting hole when the plug is initially removed.
5. Remove the transmission oil drain plug (1). Allow any fluid to drain.
a. Wait until the fluid first begins to flow as a steady stream and is within the specified temperature range, install the transmission oil drain plug (1).
Note: The fluid filler plugs installed at locations 1 & 2 at the vehicle assembly plant are one-time-use. They have an interference fit and do not have O-rings. Once removed, these plugs must be replaced. The service part (replacement plug) available in the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) comes with an O-ring. Lubricate the seal with AW-1 fluid and install the O-ring prior to installing the plug. At each subsequent service, the service part plug (replacement plug) O-ring seal must be replaced. It is a one-time-use part. It is available separate from the plug in the EPC.
b. If no fluid comes out and the temperature is within the specified range, add fluid until fluid drips out as a steady stream, and then install the transmission oil drain plug (1). Use only the recommended automatic transmission fluid. Refer to See: Specifications\Fluid Types Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers.
6. Using a NEW transmission oil drain plug seal (2), install and tighten the transmission oil drain plug (1) to 8 Nm (6 lb ft).
Condition of Automatic Transmission Fluid

Note:

- Insufficient automatic transmission fluid level will cause the oil pump to draw in air, causing the line pressure to decrease. This causes the clutch to slip, resulting in malfunctions such as a burned clutch.

- Excessive/over filled automatic transmission fluid level will cause the gears in the automatic transmission to agitate the automatic transmission fluid, causing bubbling and malfunctions such as deterioration. If the vehicle is driven under this condition, the automatic transmission fluid level can increase and the automatic transmission fluid may blow out of the transmission breather vent hose.

- If the automatic transmission fluid contains an excessive amount of metal or friction material, internal wear of the automatic transmission is suspected.
1. Check that the automatic transmission fluid is free of foreign matter.
Note: If the automatic transmission fluid is cloudy, water contamination is suspected. Inspect the cooling system.
2. Check that the automatic transmission fluid is not discolored.
Thank you for this, now I understand why the high cost for this operation at dealership. Not something I will tackle myself.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury AWD
33 Posts
Anyone know how many quarts it takes to do the job? Dealers are giving me different answers. I got a 2017 XT5 AWD and it uses the AW1 fluid. One guy says 8 quarts the other says 16 quarts.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Anyone know how many quarts it takes to do the job? Dealers are giving me different answers. I got a 2017 XT5 AWD and it uses the AW1 fluid. One guy says 8 quarts the other says 16 quarts.
Possibly the reason for the 2 different quotes.
Simple Drain and Fill 8 Quarts
Total Flush including the Converter 16 Quarts.

Look in the owners manual for the exact capacity.....

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury AWD
33 Posts
Couldn't find the capacity anywhere in the manual. But I figure the basic maintenance transmission flush wouldn't include the torque converter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts