Cadillac Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
'91 Fltwd Coupe 4900 ('93 Regal Coupe 3800)
433 Posts
Unfortunately the recent downgrade seems to have killed this site. It's now owned by some car forum syndicate (that also owns at least one Toyota forum - YUCK!) rather than Cadillac enthusiasts!

I appreciate all the work you've done to get the car running but unfortunately it sounds like it also has the common headbolt issue.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Yeah, it's likely.
It hasn't overheated but also isn't driven much. Every time I drive it the fill tank is empty and has to have coolant added.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
Unfortunately the recent downgrade seems to have killed this site. It's now owned by some car forum syndicate (that also owns at least one Toyota forum - YUCK!) rather than Cadillac enthusiasts
This site is owned by VerticalScope, located in Toronto, ON, Canada. I'd assume that most of their personnel are not gearheads, but fortunately we have quite a few members who are damned good at car stuff and offering advice. We have several Moderators who work to keep the site running and clean, and who also offer constructive criticism to Site Admin regarding upgrades and problems. Concerned members can offer site advice through the Community Help forum.

Fumble, It sounds like you need to jack up the rear view mirror and run a new Seville under it. What does/did your cylinder block exhaust gas test tell you ?

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Exchanging it for another Northstar car would be exchanging it for another set of problems, so no. I'm trying to solve a transmission issue right now. The engine can wait.
I realize the cars are considered throw-aways, but it's a night vision car which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,425 Posts
I hate that about newer cars. They could be so much more than that these days with better engineering, but that would not be keeping up with the Joneses.

Any progress with the trans?

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Looks like I'm not going to take the car back to the trans guy until after the holidays, due to their work load and I'm not relying on this car for transportation anyway.
Interestingly I was leaning on it this week while walking the cat in the front yard and smelled coolant. Thought that was just my imagination but no. I keep a drip pan under the engine and always have but there's never been coolant in it and yet the colant is low every time I start it. The pan must've been in the right spot this time because it sure enough has coolant in it. MAybe I can test the coolant exhaust dealio before it goes to the shop again.

Saw a 2011 DTS in my favo yard this month and just realized that they still had the Northstar up until that time?!

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
Exchanging it for another Northstar car would be exchanging it for another set of problems, so no. I'm trying to solve a transmission issue right now. The engine can wait.
I realize the cars are considered throw-aways, but it's a night vision car which is what I wanted.
I hope you have seen and used night vision before. I had it on a Cadillac dhs and never used it.
It shows up in green like old computer from the 80s. In the dts it was low on windshield so it took your eyes of the road. Plus it would only see things that are basically standing in the road. Most deer i hit come from woods or ditch.
I have totaled 2 cars from deer and replaced grills/bumper. I thought night vision would be great but I never used it for deer.
It was cool you could see cars axle and muffler going down the road

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Around here does pretty much just stand alongside the interstate grazing, sometimes really, really close to the lanes of travel. You can't see them until you're on them. The HID is great for seeing those white spots ahead. In foggy conditions it's a plus too seeing things before your eyes can. You aren't going to avoid a deer bounding into traffic either way. The HID isn't troublesome to view for me.

Anyway, the trans shop says he feels the problem is a shift solenoid which is one thing I posed from the beginning. The computer is commanding a shift but isn't setting a code now. As mentioned earlier if I start out with the lever in 2nd it will shift from 1st to 2nd. If I wait until revs/speed are sufficient to command a 3rd shift and I move the lever to 3rd, it shifts. But if I move the lever to 3rd too soon it tries to fall back to through 2nd and never catches.
I need to figure out those part numbers for the shift solenoids.

The car needs O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 replaced. The stink from the cat tells me not to drive it anymore until repaired. The sensor doesn't look fun to replace.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,425 Posts
Hopefully the solenoids aren't too hard to get to. Then again, few things on a Northstar are easy to get to.

O2 sensors shouldn't be too bad, at least they are underneath haha

I admire your tenacity keeping after it. Sucks that cars are throwaway anymore. I still can't wrap my head around that.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,179 Posts
Shift solenoids are easily accessible once you drop the pan.
Part Number: 24207384

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Excellent. The hard part of that job is getting the low heavy car stable in the air and catching the trans fluid...and hoping this fixes it.
The O2 sensor is, I believe, the front bank and high on the exhaust manifold but hidden behind some stuffs that I don't want to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,179 Posts
The hard part of that job is getting the low heavy car stable in the air and catching the trans fluid...and hoping this fixes it.
Ramps or a floor jack with jack stands will get it high enough.
Catching the fluid is a bit tricky, but if you remove the bolts starting from one corner, and then remove bolts one by one from each side of the corner in opposite directions, you should get "most" of the fluid to pour off that corner as the pan lowers. Spread plenty of news paper on the floor as it will still be a bit messy.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
...in the air tonight, hold on. Car is on standw with fluid slowing draining in my small pans. While underneath, I spotted an O2 sensor shown in the pic. Is this bank 2 sensor 1? If so access from underneath is better than thought.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
That's B2S1.

Front O2 sensor B2 S1.gif

For your 2001 the sensors are:

B1S1 - top of right (rear) exhaust manifold
B1S2 - after-cat sensor
B2S1 - left (front) bank exhaust collector

Reactions: fumble

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
That's good news assuming it's the only one needed to replace.

EDIT: see the 2nd pic carnage, added after sefiro's reply I didn't see initially..

POSTED THIS BEFORE THE ABOVE EDIT. No good news on to the trans. The solenoids probably work fine. But the valve metering plate (?), no. I'm going to lean toward the trans shop damaging it perhaps? That must be the 2nd gear circuit busted off.

It's been so long now, I'm trying to remember if I pulled the bottom pan when I pulled the side pan to change the TCC solenoid before taking it to them. Seems I remember checking and cleaning the screens. Maybe not.

I'm pondering changing the valve body and metal plate from the first trans to give this a try as a fix. Anybody have an opinion?

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
977 Posts
The lower valve body has 3 major parts, the valve body, plate, channel body. The plane is often replaced on rebuild as the checkballs might hammer the holes in the plate changing flow pattern.

Looks like channel body (the most visible piece), plate and possibly the valve body are damaged. If you replace the valve body with a rebuilt, you'll should receive all 3 parts as a single replacement unit.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Here's the carnage seen after removing the body and plate. What do you think about an epoxy repair so that the valve body assembly seats again? Because it's prob not worth doing the trans again. It's that repair or just have to shift 2nd manually.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Can someone post the torque spec of the valve body assembly to the trans? I'm sticking a used one in for now to get the car mobile again. It needs to run this weekend. I'm epoxying the housing.
And does anyone have a recommdation for an epoxy? Need to do this today.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts