Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,164 Posts
Why don't they rebuild the 4t80E, no demand, or too complex?
GM/Cadillac dealers get around $4500 for a 4T80E reman replacement - even if the only fault is the TCC solenoid - P 1860. The shop where I work part-time gets $3700.

Demand, complexity, and the sheer amount of labor to get the damned thing out and back in is the cost bugaboo.

GM book rate to overhaul a 4T80E in a FWD Seville/Deville/Eldorado is about 23 hours, not including parts !!!

I see plenty of starter advice and opinion in this thread. A floppy Bendix is not good.

What is the magic marker numbering on the water crossover leg? It's not factory. Looks like a repair date or something.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
EDIT: have to try for the numbers again tomorrow. I couldn't find them today.

The 1st trans shop (locally owned and closed for the holidays) is known to beat the pants off most shops while provided excellent service. My 98 Tahoe trans was $1000 from them in 2006. The actual Caddie quote to R&R is $600-800 with a potential to go $200 higher depending on seal needs.

I'll check he marking later today. Noticed it but didn't pay attention to it when originally seen. The only history I know is an attorney bought it new. The second owner imagined that he took better care than he did. He let his youngish daughter use it as her primary vehicle at one time while she loved across town and it suffered from that.
The lower, forward plastic splash pan has been off the car before. That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge on it.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So the marking appears (meaning that it is) 14-41-1-322 and below that is 215-4-2
I have no idea what it may be. A replacement starter is ordered and I'm looking forward to getting the intake back on the car before I forget how everything reconnects. I started cleaing the inside of the intake and it was incredibly nasty so I punted on that dealio.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
Don't sweat the inside of the intake. Not a problem or performance problem. It's all condensed oil vapor from the PCV system. The tuned port runners and distribution log make it impossible to properly clean. Maybe a dedicated hot tank session. It will look awful again in less than a year, anyway.

No idea where you'll find the Deville heater pipes. Talk to Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac, one of our long-time Vendors, up ^^^ there.

Those cryptic numbers may be a junkyard coding for used parts storage ID. Any indication that the crossover was replaced?

Torque on the intake manifold bolts is 89 lb/in. Less than 7.5 lb/ft. Don't crack a manifold bolt boss!! make sure the PCV line and connectors are not cracked/loose - possible big vacuum leak. Replace the plenum while you're in there........... or you'll be in there again in March.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Heater pipes? I took off the pipe that runs from across the top of the engine and have it soaking in acetone. It was clear but caked internally from the same oily stuff as the intake.
Didn't look closely enough at the cross over in the dimming light to see if it appeared to be serviced but does look like an inventory number for a larger junkyard.

Oreilly's has a Dorman plenum WITH the 8 intake runner O-rings for around $22. Seems like a deal. Found it online but they struggled hard locating it on their computer in-store. The box says THROTTLE BODY INTAKE AIR RUBBER COUPLING. PART #911-010. It DOES have the 8 blue runner O-rings. Surprisingly it was in stock too.

According to their files the injector O-rings are the same size top and bottom. I got those too since mine were brittle and several cracked while removing.

What I was struggling with removing the intake is a sort of locator pin maybe where your image says BLANK CAP. In the dark it looked like a connector so I waited until removing the 3 bolts into the plenum the next opportunity. Starter should be here by Tuesday.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
Heater coolant pipes run across the firewall at the right (rear) side of the engine.

Two lines/hoses/pipes run across the top of the Deville Northstar.

One comes from the water crossover hollow bolt/nipple, goes to the upper side of the coolant surge tank, and is the coolant purge line - it MUST be free-flowing for coolant.

Another may be either the PCV clean air line, from the atmospheric side of the TB - or the PCV dirty air line from the right (rear) cam cover to an intake manifold vacuum fitting. (That one would be pretty oily, but that's perfectly normal).

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The gas in the tank was worse than I thought but luckily there was less than a gallon of it. Cycling the pump on and off with the key purged it. I then put a couple of gallons of 93 Octane from Shell in and ran it until it came out at the fuel rail. I assembled the intake, injectors and rail.

Well, I didn't realize these pics were so bad. Anyway, There's a couple of small hoses shown, there's a pipe not shown that goes across the engine from side to side (the one soaking with acetone in it. There's a pic of a rubber hose from the cross over out of a hollow nipple (prob goes to that no shown pipe?). There are what appear to be heater hoses on the firewall near the AC hoses shown. Any of that sound like what I'm looking for?

The pic below, do I want to check the red arrowed pipe, or the yellow arrowed hose with missing pipe?

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,357 Posts
Red arrow is Power Steering High Pressure line, so that should be good.

The one sitting on the cover looks to be one of the PCV lines that go across the top of the engine.

I think the yellow arrow refers to the heater pipes, along the firewall anyway. If they don't leak I'd leave them be.

Make sure you don't drop anything in the intakes! :)

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Check out that right side hose end on the probable PVC line. It's rotted off, though hard to make out in the pic.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
OK ....... The small hose from the water crossover hollow bolt/nipple attaches to a hard pipe that goes across the engine to the hose (top picture, yellow arrows) that attaches to the top side of the surge tank. That's the coolant purge line and it must be free-flowing in order to prevent air bubbles in the coolant and subsequent overheating due to water pump cavitation.

The gray metal line is the P/S/ output pressure line.

The metal black line at the firewall is one of the coolant pipes to/from the heater core.

The PCV dirty air line from the top of the right (rear) cam cover must be perfect - leak wise - because it's connected to the intake manifold, full vacuum at all times. Any leak is a fuel mixture screwup. Your engine uses either a push-in rattle valve or a permanent fixed orifice to meter PCV flow - it's in the cam cover fitting.

The PCV clean air line connects the left (front) cam cover fitting to the atmospheric side of the throttlebody. It allows clean, filtered outside air into the engine guts so the PCV system can remove condensation moisture and blowby acids from the interior for burning with the fuel mixture.

PCV basic operation -

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Ok, A used trans has been installed but the car isn't right. It only goes into 2nd if I manually use the floor shifter. It frequently shifts hard too. In D from a standing start it won't shift into 2nd ever. It goes into 3rd eventually with enough speed. They said the code was something about 2nd gear ratio issue.

Only now have I sat long enough to think about running the codes. The temp sensor is also broken from when the old trans grenaded I suppose. They mentioned something about fuel also. I'll see soon. But I did finally drive it home. First time I've driven it.

EDIT: I did run the codes and now have to locate that page again to check some, like:

PCM P0118 CURRENT Eng Coolant Temp Sensor high Voltage
PCM P0405 HISTORY Probably EGR (dies at idle until driven a while)
PCM P0732 CURRENT Transmission issue of some kind. Saw something about using Dex VI.
PCM P1115 HISTORY Eng Coolant Temp Sensor High Voltage

ABS C1287 history
ABS C1288 history
NO AMP CODES

DDM B1327 HISTORY
DDM B3069 HISTORY
DDM U1300 HISTORY
DDM U1301 HISTORY
DDM U1000 CURRENT
DDM U1066 HISTORY
DDM U1164 HISTORY
DDM U1065 HISTORY
DDM U1016 HISTORY
DDM U1064 HISTORY

NO DDS CODES

DIM B1327 HISTORY
DIM B2810 HISTORY
DIM P1531 HISTORY
DIM P1536 HISTORY
DIM U1300 HISTORY
DIM U1301 HISTORY
DIM U1000 CURRENT

IPC B1004 HISTORY
IPC B1327 HISTORY
IPC U1300 HISTORY
IPC U1301 HISTORY
IPC U1000 CURRENT

IPM B0409 CURRENT
IPM B1004 HISTORY

IRC B1327 HISTORY
IRC U1000 CURRENT
IRC U1064 HISTORY
IRC U1065 HISTORY
IRC U1016 HISTORY
IRC U1129 HISTORY

LRD B1327 HISTORY
LRD U1300 HISTORY
LRD U1301 HISTORY
LRD U1000 CURRENT
LRD U1164 HISTORY
LRD U1065 HISTORY
LRD U1064 HISTORY

MSM B1327 HISTORY
MSM B1840 HISTORY
MSM B1860 HISTORY
MSM B1875 HISTORY
MSM U1000 CURRENT
MSM U1305 HISTORY
MSM U1064 HISTORY
MSM U1016 HISTORY
MSM U1164 HISTORY

PDM B1327 HISTORY
PDM U1300 HISTORY
PDM U1301 HISTORY
PDM U1000 CURRENT
PDM U1164 HISTORY
PDM U1065 HISTORY
PDM U1016 HISTORY
PDM U1064 HISTORY
PDM U1066 HISTORY
PDM U1048 HISTORY

NO RFA CODES

RIM B1327 HISTORY
RIM U1000 CURRENT
RIM U1162 HISTORY
RIM U1160 HISTORY
RIM U1161 HISTORY
RIM U1163 HISTORY
RIM U1065 HISTORY
RIM U1064 HISTORY
RIM U1016 HISTORY
RIM U1164 HISTORY

RRD B1327 HISTORY
RRD B1913 HISTORY
RRD U1300 HISTORY
RRD U1301 HISTORY
RRD U1000 CURRENT
RRD U1164 HISTORY
RRD U1065 HISTORY
RRD U1064 HISTORY
RRD U1048 HISTORY

NO RSS CODES
NO SDM CODES

TTM B1328 HISTORY
TTM B1327 HISTORY
TTM U1305 HISTORY
TTM U1000 CURRENT
TTM U1164 HISTORY
TTM U1016 HISTORY
TTM U1064 HISTORY

VTD B1009 HISTORY
VTD B1327 HISTORY
VTD B2734 HISTORY
VTD B3055 HISTORY

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Codes cleared, TB cleaned, EGR cleaned, coolant temp sensor replaced. It will now start without dying, but no other improvements. SERVICE STABIL SYSTEM now illuminated. SERVICE TRANS did NOT come on yet, but still won't shift to 2nd automatically. Only with the shifter lever. CHECK COOLANT LEVEL illuminated.

Codes set: P0171, P0174, P1404. One other was in history but I missed it.
I need to change the fuel filter and run a fuel pressure test.

It still stumbles on start-up unless you give it pedal for 15 seconds, but at least it isn't dying at every decel event. At half pedal it starts choking out and never accelerates. After the fuel filter and pressure test I'll swap the TPS.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
P 0171 and P 0174 point to a large vacuum leak into the intake manifold. Usually a bad line or connector in the PCV dirty air line or a torn intake manifold connector plenum.

Please - always post the code definitions of found codes. Most members have not memorized all 4,000+ codes yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
773 Posts
The electronic transmission is automatically shifted by the computer based on inputs from items like current gear, speed, rpm, desired acceleration (foot on pedal based on tps feed back).

I would focus on fixing the engine problems before spending anymore effort on the tranny. Use FSM to verify operational ability of tps, vss etc. Once fixed, you'll likely find the tranny will be shifting fine.

Also, lots of history/current messages regarding bad data stream. Wiring or computer might be failing which would also create the same symptom as bad sensor feedback described above.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Is there an FSM online? I'm on a limited income and that sounds expensive.

The P0171 and P0174 keep returning. They weren't set until after removing the TB intake boot and EGR valve, I've checked the boot twice along with noticeable air hoses then replaced one cracked hose on front valve cover, snugged a hose down on the TB top from that same pipe. Still setting it.

Still can't load the engine or it falls off a cliff. On start-up the idle is sketchy but will eventually rev to 4 grand or so if you moderate it. Under load on the street it's a no go. Might swap that TPS first since there's a couple in the back yard. Then the filter and pressure test. Fuel mileage is terrible right now.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
The entire GM/Cadillac service manuals for your car (??? 2001 DTS ???) are online at www.alldatadiy.com - do the multi-year subscription - it's somewhere around $25 - $40 for several years, considerably less than the ?? $225 DVD from www.helminc.com. And the Alldata contains more info than just the paper manuals plus, it is updated with user input. The paper and DVD manuals never were. All those pictures, diagrams, and procedures you see in my posts - straight out of Alldata.

Our engines have a rpm limiter set to 4,000 rpm when in N or P. Otherwise, the redline is 6,400 rpm. The engine will NOT rev past 4,000 in N or P.

From your last post engine operation description you have a LOT of problems to solve........ a LOT.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
It's been sitting for 3 years after a catastrophic trans failure.

The used TPS swap made zero difference. So on to the pressure test and fuel filter.

The same conditions exist from yesterday with number of codes knocked down to a few. After cleaning the TB & EGR valve the car isn't stalling on every throttle-off event like it did yesterday. The SERVICE TRANSMISSION is currently gone. The SERVICE STABILITY hasn't reset.

New issue today is the P0171 and P0174 since cleaning the TB & EGR. I'm going to to swap a used EGR from the back yard.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Fuel pressure test yielded 15 psi max at idle. Can we determine from that that there is a pressure issue? It liked 12 better. At key-on no pressure was registered. Only during starting did it register. Shutting off the car the pressure drops over 30 seconds or so.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts