Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to start a DTS with blown trans. I've read about 40-50 pages of trans issues since registering yesterday. :drool: Looks like only the DTS and STS are good fits for a 2001 DTS? Nobody has used a DHS trans and swapped the DTS final drive?--not that I could do that myself but I could have it done. Will 2002 and 2003 DTS/STS work without code issues popping up?

The story goes...I bought a night vision DTS with a trans problem for $750. Owner said he was recently driving the car when it suddenly banged loudly and fluid erupted everywhere and something went bouncing down the road from underneath the car. He said the car is stuck between two gears (2 and 3), but that's probably because the shifter/indicator says so inside the car. Someone has disconnected the selector cable under the hood to try to operate the trans shifting from there. From under the hood the trans lever on the trans can be moved in about 5 positions but not up to where PARK is. I don't yet know if it goes up to NEUTRAL, but the starter will not engage at all. Because the shifter won't "park" he disconnected the battery so there's no chance of running it down, but I guess the codes go away then too.

I connected the battery and the starter will not engage in any manually selected gear from under the hood (Internal neutral safety switch?). The electronics of the car come up and the night vision comes on. Odometer says 213k miles. I'm going to trailer the car home this afternoon.

What would your approach be to starting and diagnosing this car? Would be nice to get it to start so I check that off the list. He's adamant that the engine is sound and that it's the transmission, but I don't know his ability to really know what happened. I'm a bit of a junkyard junkie with a cheap Pick-a-Part yard close by, so it's not a big issue to watch for a DTS to come through in wrecked condition, but it will probably take a good while before a wrecked (2001-2002) DTS donor will come through. Of the 7-8 Devilles there now, none are DTS.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,607 Posts
'
'00-04 powertrains (DTS/STS) are the same (except for code y&9 differences). They will fit without code issues.
I'm transplanting a '02 STS powertrain into a '01 DTS as we speak.
I've transplanted a '03 DTS into a '00 SLS with no issues. I remember having to swap wiring harnesses in this instance.
The factory shop manual (FSM) is your friend.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Different final drive ratios in the transmissions. The PCMs are optimized for its respective transmission.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,179 Posts
8th character of the VIN is the powertrain code........

9 = 300 hp, 3.71 final drive
Y = 275 hp, 3.11 final drive

·
Registered
14 SRX, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary
4,121 Posts
I think you'll be able to see the internal mode selector when you remove the trans pan. You could probably move it around to make it read "park". Not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it turns out the trans for sure grenaded while driving, which makes me feel more confident about the engine. From the top of the trans I can see internal parts including writing on one of the bands. ouch.
See below. :suspense:

I got the Y and 9 VIN and final drive differences. What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever changed the final drive between the two transmissions with success? I know GTP/Buick people swap chain drive gears to optimize ratios for better 1/4 mile times. 3.11 to 3.71 might be a pretty sizable step.

'
'00-04 powertrains (DTS/STS) are the same (except for code y&9 differences). They will fit without code issues.
I'm transplanting a '02 STS powertrain into a '01 DTS as we speak.
I've transplanted a '03 DTS into a '00 SLS with no issues. I remember having to swap wiring harnesses in this instance.
The factory shop manual (FSM) is your friend.
Okay, thanks. It's sounding a little more likely that I can find a used one then.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Explains what he saw bouncing down the road, eh?
My trusty local shop says $2000 including the TC and 12 month warranty, which is all they ever give.
My favorite yard only has one 9 VIN car and it has no body damage so it's not a good candidate.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Used 4T80E's generally have good track records......and I say generally because I didn't really have a good experience. But, if you replace all the known problematic things before swapping the trans, it should be good.

Now if I still had my transmission out, I would have replaced the TC, TCC apply seal, 3rd clutch support bushing in addition to the main filter and TCC solenoid.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
813 Posts
Now if I still had my transmission out, I would have replaced the TC, TCC apply seal, 3rd clutch support bushing in addition to the main filter and TCC solenoid.
Plus maybe the Input Speed Sensor (ISS); expensive to change once the transmission is back together; relatively cheap to do while trans is apart.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wish I had paid more attention to the car when it was brought in, as far as the engine status which would've told something about why it was there. The car is very nice looking still. A wrecked Y code car is there in wrecked condition that still drives. I smelled each car's trans dipstick to compare and they smell identical. The drop left on the 9 code is as red as the other car's. I'm considering it. Darn. I'd hate to install a bad one just to have to do it again. Anyway to determine condition out of the car? Too many engine parts gone now.

----------

Meaning there are too many engine parts gone to start it now..to check function of the trans.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Plus maybe the Input Speed Sensor (ISS); expensive to change once the transmission is back together; relatively cheap to do while trans is apart.
Yeah that too. Although it seems like it's more of a problem of 93-96 transmissions.

Maybe get the most financially viable one possible and rebuild that, that way you can be confident that it will be fine. I don't think there is a way to test the trans while it's out, not in the consumer level at least.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there any demand around here for a Northstar eng and Y VIN trans in good condition? Considering pulling the one from the total I found which has about 140K miles.

----------

Car runs and drives. Is a recent insurance total from a rear end crash.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I pulled the engine and trans from the Y code car. The engine and trans are leak free/bone dry on the exterior and mileage is 145k. Couldn't resist given the care and condition of the car. The only thing not corrected were the inner half shaft boots which were torn and leaking on the inboard joint. I took pics of the engine/trans before turning a bolt showing the leak free state.

Took about 2 hours to have the cradle on the ground but almost as long to disconnect everything topside, lift the car up and slide the complete cradle from underneath. So it's on my trailer under a new shower liner. What to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, this must not be the sexiest thread in the forum, but I finally found a thread that told me what I wanted to read.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/254691-transmission-trouble.html

If you still have your old transmission, swap the final drive units. It's not too bad of a job.
Two options I'm considering if you would entertain them please: (1) swapping the complete Y code DHS eng/trans and possibly using the Y code PCM to run it in the DTS car. Wonder if that would cause conflicts with the other systems in the vehicle? Or option (2), using the y code DHS trans with swapped in final drive from the DTS...and making the other obvious upgrades spoken of above.

Thanks for any opinions/experience. Car was $750. I have $400 and my labor in pulling the DHS running gear. Car still looks pretty good. I'd like to drive it for a little while along with the 3 other vehicles I drive. Not really motivated to spend $2200 (with tax) on a trans not knowing the quality of the engine. Don't care that much about the 25 hp difference.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,607 Posts
I
If you swap the whole powertrain, use the PCM that's in the car, not from the donor.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decided to wait to find a 9 code transmission, fearing that the internal switching on the Y code EVEN WITH CHANGING the final drive to the 9 code final drive won't play well.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, only three short years later (wow) I'm finally dropping the cradle for the trans swap. I have a proper (used) 9 code transmission from an STS Seville to swap into the car. While the eng and trans are out of the car what engine service should I perform? I have the TCC. The injectors will be cleaned as well as flushing the fuel system.

Should the crossover issues be addressed? Isn't it the water pump crossover gaskets or something that require service? Anything else?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,310 Posts
Should the crossover issues be addressed? Isn't it the water pump crossover gaskets or something that require service?
Only if it is leaking, unless you want to change the gaskets on a preventative measure.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's something I don't know (any leaking) since I bought it non-running and it has never been started, being still stuck in gear.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts