Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time one of my trans cooler lines have blown off my radiator. The first time was with the original radiator. then the second time with a new radiator. It blew the connector completely out of the radiator both times. Does anyone know what could be happening? I was thinking maybe a trans pump failure or torque converter issue. But the transmission is shifting perfectly. After the first time, i changed the radiator of course along with the trans line assembly. and I had a transmission service done on it. any thoughts on this weird problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it was a screw in fitting I would guess that it wasn't screwed in and tightened down properly.

Roy

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >136k miles
922 Posts
Did the whole fitting fly out or did the hose disconnect from the fitting? The pic appears to show that the entire fitting is missing, but it would take a lot of pressure to blow the fitting out of the radiator (unlless, of course, the threads were already stripped or damaged). If the hose just became disconnected, it may not have been connected properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the whole fitting fly out or did the hose disconnect from the fitting? The pic appears to show that the entire fitting is missing, but it would take a lot of pressure to blow the fitting out of the radiator (unlless, of course, the threads were already stripped or damaged). If the hose just became disconnected, it may not have been connected properly.
The whole fitting flew out. This makes the second time. it happened on the original radiator and on the new one. I assume its not faulty radiators at this point. but a pressure issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the picture it looks like a threaded opening that's why I thought maybe A fitting had not been screwed in tight.

Roy
I thought the same thing. but no it kind of looks threaded but its actually pressed in. As I said I assume its a pressure problem at this point. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >136k miles
922 Posts
I concur that you likely have a pressure issue. However i would not expect that fitting to be the weak point!

Regardless, the next step would be to check the pressure at the lines. I'm not sure how to do this without installing a new radiator again; in fact, I would probably just take it to a radiator shop for diagnosis and/or repair.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the radiator and the fitting are OK I would put it back in and take it to some place that could Weld it without overheating it..

Roy

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
249 Posts
In my experience. Once the line blows off it will never seal correctly again. So, I 2nd the weld idea.

Sent from Earth II using Tapatalk V

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,388 Posts
The new fitting presses in then locks with a 90 degree clockwise rotation.

There is very, very little pressure across the transmission fluid cooler - the return end is wide open to the pan.

Weld something to a plastic tank ???? :rolleyes: Lotsa luck.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
249 Posts
The new fitting presses in then locks with a 90 degree clockwise rotation.

There is very, very little pressure across the transmission fluid cooler - the return end is wide open to the pan.

Weld something to a plastic tank ???? :rolleyes: Lotsa luck.
You don't weld it to the fiberglass shell... You tig weld to the threads.

Sent from Earth II using Tapatalk V

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,388 Posts
again - lotsa luck. The heat will melt/distort the composite end tank. Will.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts