Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Coupe Deville /03 Seville SLS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ...

The other day I went to pass a vehicle while doing a WOT, the car chugged a bit, but did shift ... Later that evening when I got home, I noticed a leak on my garage floor .... Today I went underneath and found the source of the leak, but, I am not sure what this is ...

It's a cap on the underside of the bell housing, and it's a pretty big leak .... Can you help me identify this??

2005 STS, 3.6L 2WD 165K

Thx ..

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 STS V8 AWD
20 Posts
That is an inspection cover for the bell housing. It can be removed to look into the area between the torque converter and transmission front pump housing. If you remove the cover and see oil leaking down from between the converter and transmission case then I would be very suspicious that the front pump oil seal has failed and starting to leak. ( Requires transmission removal to replace seal ) Be sure to have transmission oil level checked and topped up as required to prevent damage to transmission. Fluid level may already be low and causing the problem you described. This is my best guess a this point and others may have a better answer for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts