Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Catera
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I thought was an oil leak appears to be a transmission leak as the fluid is slightly peak. The leak seems to be towards the front of the transmission and in front of the bellhousing. Or at least I see the oil drops forming on the two downward facing bolts on the front lip of the bell housing. From what I've found through searching is that most leaks come from the pan gaskets, but the leak manifests itself in front of the gaskets. Any suggestions where to look when I squeeze myself under the car? Are the cooling lines anywhere near this? It's a slow leak, i.e. a penny sized spot each time I park, but I'd like to track this down before something goes bad. Should I just take it to a transmission shop or are there simple things to check first? (I really don't want to get under the car while it's running in neutral to check the fluid level. What an awful engineering design... If there was an easy way to check and refill the transmission, I would likely just keep doing that until I can deal with being carless for awhile... :mad:).

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Hi - did you ever get this issue resolved? I think I have the same issue. Leakage from about the engine/transmission mating area (rear main seal?). And since the leak the transmission has not been shifting smoothly and jerky sometimes.

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Topped up the fluid at the mechanics. It required about two quarts of tranny fluid. Now the shifting is smoother but still some leakage about the bell housing.

wondering if a sealant additive would help in this case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts