Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 seville sls
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my deal. Had the po741 code about a year ago on my 2001 sls with 38,000 miles. Did the brake check at 60, TCC not locking up. I decided to drive it till it broke. Cleared the code 3 times, came back 3 times, cleared it 4th time, has not reasserted in 12000 miles. Today I drove 20 miles into a 35 mile trip. Noticed at 70 mph rpm at 3300. At one point, I lost power, had it floored, and the car was slowing down. Pulled over, cycled to park and back to drive, worked ok for remaining 15 miles. When backing in to parking space, car shuddered like a manual car with clutch engaged at low rpm. 4 hours later, it did the same thing in drive, cleared up when I pushed on gas. Drive home had similar rpm/mph issues. Chattered again when pulling into garage. I know TCC or TCC solinoid or seals are bad, could this be a torque converter problem now too? I think I can drop the engine/tranny for removal in the garage, is it worth doing and finding more wrong, or should I take it to a professional?

·
Registered
2002 seville sls
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention that there are zero codes...except one for the drivers side mirror position sensor....

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
It sounds like you may actually have slipping clutches, as opposed to a torque converter failure. It's also possible the failure of the viscous converter has thrown debris through the transmission, clogging other passages. There was someone here a while back that had the P0741 that eventually trashed his entire transmission. Unless you want to rebuild the whole thing yourself, or swap in another trans, I'd lean toward taking it to a trans shop.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
It sounds like you may actually have slipping clutches, as opposed to a torque converter failure. It's also possible the failure of the viscous converter has thrown debris through the transmission, clogging other passages. There was someone here a while back that had the P0741 that eventually trashed his entire transmission. Unless you want to rebuild the whole thing yourself, or swap in another trans, I'd lean toward taking it to a trans shop.
38,000 miles on the car, correct?

I wonder if you have water mixed with the ATF from condensation. I would try changing the trans fluid first. Reuseable pan gasket, screens, not filters, so it's only a matter of draining and refilling. There is a plug under (above) one of the screens that drains the upper "sump".

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
38 + 12 = 50.

Slow clutch engagement, shuddering, poor shifts, 3300 at 70 - the transmission is toast. The high rpm at 70 says it never shifted to 4th. But why at 50K miles ? The transmission is practically new....

I've never done a 4T80E - my neighbor runs a transmission shop and I've seen 2 torn down. Based on those observations I would have a good, dedicated shop do the work if you're not a transmission guru.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
My 2000 STs did something similar on Monday. I have no codes now, nor did i have any when it happened. Was driving on a rural state road, speed limit is 40 mph, and it was raining, and melting the snow we have here in MA and there were lakes of almost frozen water forming on both sides of the roads, so needless to say the underneath of the car, and the engine compartment was getting soaked with freezing water as I drove thru these lakes. All of a sudden the transmission is slipping like mad, need to keep RPMs above 3500 RPM to keep any kind of forward momentum. Tried shifting manually thru different gears, didn't do anything. After about a half mile of this the transmission starts grabbing again, but the shift points are all off, and really hard, like its lost its memory (transmissions learn shift points and shift engagement as the cars are driven), or lost the VSS signal to tell it when to shift and how hard to shift. (Car has lost the VSS under similar conditions last year, but the speedometer kept working this time so I don't think it was that and that would not make the tranny slip) Another couple of miles and all was as it should be again. Obviously I got water into an electrical connector somewhere under the car (probably the big circular one under the water pump) and that screwed up my tranny. You might want to check this connector on your car especially if this happened when it was wet out.

·
Registered
2002 seville sls
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took it to the dealer for diagnosis, A friend of a friend works there. They are not having any luck telling me exactly what is up, their computer is saying the tranny is never being told to shift past 3rd??? The lady at the counter wasn't too informative, and the tech had left already. They have a master technician looking at it today. It only has 50,000 miles, it was the wife's grandma's car from new till 2 years ago, I got it when it had 27,000 miles and it had sat in the garage for almost 2 years without moving. I'm thinking that may have dried out some seals in the tranny and they may have come apart? Either way, its paid for, has low miles and is in mint condition. Ill suck it up and get the thing rebuilt if I have to....Oh and I changed the trans fluid, and all the other fluids when I got it...Grand ma bought the car in Cadillac Mich, and never really left town with it, so it had 27,000 in town miles, then sat forever...
I have rebuilt motors, but auto transmissions are kinda taboo to me...ill let the shop rebuild it if it comes to that....I like warranties....

·
Registered
96 SLS
18 Posts
I 2 had the P0741 code but casr was stuck in 2nd gear got all the TCC sal and the shift Salnoids. Went to reaplace them and found sum shaveings in the oil so droped trans and check it out and founf 3rd and 4th gear clutches burnt. did not re build got a good deal on a reman from gm (friend works at cadi dealer) ordered and put in and she runs great now.

·
Registered
2002 seville sls
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the tranny was shot, they wanted almost as much for a rebuild as the re-man cost. Got it all done for a hair over $3000...3 year 75000 mile warranty...back on the road for a while for me!

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
So the tranny was shot, they wanted almost as much for a rebuild as the re-man cost. Got it all done for a hair over $3000...3 year 75000 mile warranty...back on the road for a while for me!
Bummer for the replacement - but the car is worth maintaining - it's a classic already and you gotta admit - it still turns heads, doesn't it ???

NOW - go up in the black bar and read (study) the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. When you get through that, especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation.......", go down to Discussions, Item Specific: and read all 9 pages of Cadillac Technical Tips. Almost every question you may have is answered there.

Get a real GM/Helm Factory service manual from ebay or www.helminc.com - read and study the sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes" - your car will tell YOU what is wrong with it...............

·
Registered
none
39 Posts
yeah...i hate to say it but GM really isn't all that amazing with automatic transmissions in my experience(which is somewhat limited because I am a youngin) but ive had two have the auto rebuilt on 3 out of the 4 GM cars I have owned and my camaros clutch packs went at only 53k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts