Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, gang. I'm the owner of a 1990 Caddy Deville (FWD). I just happened to notice that my caddy would accelerate from first and then shift to third gear. And whenever I'm on the freeway the overdrive gear fails to kick it....resulting in my foot hitting the pedal down to the floor. Even though it's picking up power the overdrive doesn't kick in where I can accelerate faster so that I can overtake a car.

Now, when I shift into 1st or 2nd gear the car will shift into gear just fine. I can even shift from 1st to 3rd without a problem.

I have checked the tranny fluid and it is full.

I don't have any codes coming up to diagnose the problem. Any ideals or suggestions as to what's going on? I'm thinking I may need a rebuilt transmission but don't want to commit to that if it's something minor that can be corrected.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
When you are cruising on the highway you should be in overdrive. Overdrive is an economy gearing to let the engine run slower.

When you accelerate you are shifting into 3rd or 2nd.

I'm gonna suggest that the solenoids are sticking. They may not post a code at this point.

If you are interested in changing them yourself there are instructions posted. It is a messy job but not too hard. You have to be careful because you take the valve body off the trans and there are some small parts involved.

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. I do have the tech manual for my caddy but unfortunately I don't have the equipment to get the job done. I had suspected that it was probably related to the solenoids. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts