Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have had an issue where my 1992 deville stopped shifting properly. It won't get out of first it seems. I've maintained it pretty well and changed the trans fluid about a year or two ago. My inclination is unfortunately that there's a transmission issue that would total the car. I Checked the fluid and it is brown which-given the time frame on when I changed it-is a very bad sign.

But I also noticed this grinding noise at idle. It nearly goes away when I put the car in drive but is prominent and new to my car in park. I wanted to see if this was consistent with transmission problems or if there could possibly be a cheaper fix. The video can be seen here 92 Cadillac

This 92 has been my only source of transportation for 4 years now and would love to get another 8 months - year out of it if it all possible. Thanks so much for your help - this forum has been vital to keeping it running for 4 years.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
396 Posts
Post up a video of pulling the dipstick and wiping it on a white paper towel for us. Shine a light on the dipstick too for metal particles. But that doesn't sound good that noise. I'd bet the tranny is junk. Just a guess based on your postings though.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts
I'd agree. Brown, burnt fluid usually means rebuild time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts