Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a garage leaving the speedometer connector off a 1999 Deville hurt your transmission? I had my transmission replaced and when I picked it up I started out in heavy traffic so the speed was slow,after a few blocks I noticed my speedometer wasnt working and my transmission wasnt changing gears so I turned around and went back to the shop and they said they forgot to plug it up.The car seems to drive ok but I am wondering about damage to my transmission.I had to drive back about a mile to go around the traffic.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
If you were able to drive back to the shop at 2,500 rpm or less, you should be OK - even at those speeds (engine) no damage would be done in a short time........curious the shop never tested their work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding submariner409,I was shocked that they never drove the car after changing out a transmission,I was a mechanic years ago and I tested every car I repaired.I am new to cadillacs ,this is my first one and when they are working right you cant beat the smooth ride.I dont know how fast I drove but I started to feel the transmission shifting almost right on the way back to the transmission shop.The owner of the shop said the car would not change gear without the speedometer being connected but it started to change gears on the way back and that what worries me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts