Registered
2008 CTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, some background information

2008 Cadillac CTS Performance
AWD
81,000 Miles

I am experiencing a very noticible groan or grind sound as the car shifts from first to second gear and from second to third. The noise just started a few days ago, I have also noticed that it is shifting a little bit harder than it used to. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have experienced a lot of issues with this car over the last few weeks, everythign from cosmetic issues, like the "wood" panel insert on teh drivers side door that crack the full length of the panel, to cylinders misfiring. A simple tuneup fixed the misfiring, although I was a little surpried that I had to do this before 100k miles.

Unfortunately, my powertrain warranty expired on January 18th, so the dealership will not be looking at the transmission problem I am experiencing. This was by far the nicest car I have ever purchased but I have never had so many problems with a vehicle before.

Any advice on the transmission issue would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

12,778 Posts
Mille1sj, I'm sorry to hear you've been having these frustrations! If you do decide to involve your dealer at any point and would like assistance working with them towards a resolution, please keep me in mind. Customer Service is always happy to step in and follow up on your behalf. I'm reachable via email at [email protected]mexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2008 CTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Katie, I appreciate the qucik feedback. There is a local Cadillac dealership near my house, that I would use. I was just curious if anyone else has had any issues like this or if it is truely a transmission problem.
thanks again!

·
Registered
'09 cts
12 Posts
Are you getting any AWD or Check Engine warning lights? If not, you could scan your OBD to make sure nothing's hanging around but I'd bet your problem is all transmission.

I don't know anything about automatic transmissions, but every tech I've talked to says the problems tend to spread quickly and get more expensive with time. All I can recommend is to find a shop you trust and go in sooner than later. I had a total rebuild on my Bronco because it was driven a few hundred miles by someone who knew it had a problem. The tech said a few hundred bucks for a simple band adjustment could have saved me a thousand.

If you're lucky, it could be something simple like a modulator, and they wouldn't even have to crack the case!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
Ironically I have the same mileage and vehicle, but my warranty doesn't expire until August.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how little I have spent on my CTS since I bought it new (original tires). I have started to notice the occasional rough shift (very intermittent). I mentioned it on my last oil change, but the dealer could not replicate.

Just kind of watching this one....I changed the trans oil at 50K and will do so again at 100K. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
2 Posts
I have the same thing. Slight vibration in 2-3 gear at around 12-1400 RPMs. Going to change my tranny fluid and filter this weekend, hope its not a serious issue!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts