Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Seville STS

Will a message appear in the DIC when transmission fluid is running low?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
No. No. (to meet the minimum message character count)

·
Registered
2005 3.6 CTS Luxury Sport
147 Posts
what could appear then? i just changed my trans fluid at 29% n then pressed the button till it read 100% just like the Engine oil life one. also is this all there is to reseting it after changeing the tranny fluid and filter?

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
wow the trans fluid level msg got all the way down to 29% how many miles on that
anyways wow ok im not sure that its suposed to get that low
i thout someone ones said that it should never have a reason to be below 98% life left

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Thats not a level display, its transmission fluid life, and about the only time it ever goes down from 100% is if the car, or transmission has overheated.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,051 Posts
Transmission fluid level is measured by a dipstick, exactly like the engine oil level.

Transmission fluid life is determined by comparing temperatures, time, loads, and speeds over a LONG period. Engine oil life is calculated from a similar algorithm.

Because transmission fluid is not subjected to combustion gas and acid pollution, it will last literally forever unless it is grossly overheated (in our cars the temperature warning comes on at 305 degrees - 305) or subjected to contamination from clutch band wear, metal particle contamination (final drive pinon wear) or torque converter failure. Modern transmission fluids, particularly DEXRON-VI, are some pretty tough products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts