Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

I have developed a problem and hopefully someone out there can confirm that I have not lost my mind. LOL.

I checked my transmission fluid level and it was to the point where it says add a half pint. Well... I added a half pint and shut the hood. Next fill up, its to the point.. add a half pint. This time I added some, ran around the block and checked it again. Same thing. I added another half pint, same thing. No matter how much I put in.. it says add a half pint. It's not leaking out, the garage floor is dry. The transmission shifts fine, and no idiot lights on. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MMNineInchNails said:
Are you checking the fluid level with the engine on? You're supposed to check the fluid when the engine is running.

Yep... engine running, in park, transmission warm. Always reads 1/2 pint low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bobbcatt said:
Yep... engine running, in park, transmission warm. Always reads 1/2 pint low.
Ooooops. I found that it was actually a couple quarts low of fluid. The previous owner hit something, dented the transmission pan, and the gasket is leaking. I didnt realize it until I put two quarts of fluid in, and checked it this morning, about a half quart leaked out. Thanks for reading my post!

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MMNineInchNails said:
That means You should get a chrome tranny pan and while you're down there a shift kit and new filter.
I went shopping today for a new tranny pan. Went to all the chain stores here in nashville and a couple other places. No one had a chrome pan. Had to order one from Cadillac. :( A shift kit? Thanks for the idea!

Bob

·
Registered
989 Posts
Get a Chrome tranny pan off ebay for like $5.

A shift kit improves shifting (obviously) and makes the tranny shift faster, so you get more power between gears and less slippage, and your transmission's life will last a little longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
MMNineInchNails