Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought a '96 deville with a blown motor- car is immaculate. We changed the engine and all is well- except- it only has 2nd gear. It takes off in 2nd and stays in 2nd, no matter what position the lever is in. I know with traction off Caddys take off in 2nd but traction is "ON" and working correctly. Turning T/C on or off doesn't make a difference. We checked the trans filter and it's clean, fluid is at the correct level. No transmission error codes are coming up.

I'm just wondering if this is a simple fix (sensor or wire or something) or do I end up swapping the trans for another one? And if I end up doing that, I've got a 4T80-E from a '96 Aurora with the 3.71 ratio, my dad's car has the 3.11 ratio. Will it work ok with the PCM? I'd prefer to keep the original trans and get it to work, hopefully it's something simple that I'm missing. Oh- and the speedometer is working so the VSS sensor is working.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure there are no codes, but I'll check again...

Shift solenoid? I know about engines- but not a whole lot about trannys. Where is the shift solenoid located? Inside or outside of the trans? Is it easily replaced/repaired?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
The shift solenoids are inside the pan. No need to drop the trans, but you do need to drop the pan & valve body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts