Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, I started to notice a very slight thumping noise tied to the engine speed, but it was only apparent between 20 - 30 range.

Both while accelerating, and coasting.

If I accelerate quickly through that range, it isn't apparent, but I may not be hearing it. I took it to the dealership and they looked at my like I was crazy because "they couldn't hear anything". I gave up, and just thought I was being overly concerned.

This situation seems to happen much more often when it is warm, or the engine is warmed up.

Today, driving home from work, it was very loud and the car actually shuttered a bit. The noise has been progressively getting worse and worse.

All other gears, no problem.

Driving in manual mode, same issue in second gear and third gear.

Any ideas? 80K miles on the clock so the drive train is under warranty. Right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap.

Totally ignored the 5 YEARS OR 100,000 mile warranty.

I am sure though that I originally reported my concerns with the noise while it was still under warranty.

In my opinion, simply because they didn't think it was "bad enough" or that they couldn't hear the problem, the fact that I reported it should mean that they should fix it.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Crap.

I am sure though that I originally reported my concerns with the noise while it was still under warranty.

In my opinion, simply because they didn't think it was "bad enough" or that they couldn't hear the problem, the fact that I reported it should mean that they should fix it.
That is your opinion but my guess says you are in for a fight. I wish you luck though.

·
Registered
2015 SRX
31 Posts
I had the same thing on my Monte Carlo years ago and I thought for sure it was the transmission so I took it to the dealership. It turned out to be a misfire that was not triggering the MIL for some reason. So I think it's a novelty repair but let us know what happens.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
1,865 Posts
Crap.

If you don't put it in writing, it's your word against theirs. I would write a letter detailing my problems and send it to both the dealer and GM. I would send it "return receipt" and "signature required".

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went down this road before, and it isn't fun. I had a mitsubishi that started flashing the A/C light in the middle of winter.

I took the car in, and they said that they couldn't diagnose a problem because it was too cold to run the A/C. They entered the data into my account and I went on my way until Spring.

Spring comes along, and I am out of warranty, but clearly the A/C isn't working. I take it in and they refuse to fix it.

It took several calls to corporate and a threat of putting a big sign on the back of my car reading "Mitsubishi Doesn't Stand Behind Their Warranty". I told them, since I lived in Chicago at that time, that it might get them the exposure they are looking for.

They finally agreed to pay for parts, if I paid for labor. The part $250. The labor $1200. I said forget it.

I just never bought another Mitsubishi. Never will.

I am looking at a replacement vehicle for my '10 SRX now. My budget is $80K and I am looking at the BMW X5 Diesel or Escalade.

Does Cadillac want my business or not?

·
Registered
07 escalade ext/ 04 srx awd
61 Posts
I have good news for u if u r still under 5yr warranty!! I've had every problem one could encounter with this car! Your problem is a steady bearing with the rubber in casing after failing. The entire prop shaft has to be replaced as it is one unit. Was covered under my powertrain and I only have 25,000M. 40,000km. Exact same description as u stated. Not a tranny issue! Prop shaft cost here in Canada $1600.00. Plus the labour.

----------

If u have reported it before warranty was up GM is on the hook! I was previously a GM sales manager and I'm not talking without knowledge.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have good news for u if u r still under 5yr warranty!! I've had every problem one could encounter with this car! Your problem is a steady bearing with the rubber in casing after failing. The entire prop shaft has to be replaced as it is one unit. Was covered under my powertrain and I only have 25,000M. 40,000km. Exact same description as u stated. Not a tranny issue! Prop shaft cost here in Canada $1600.00. Plus the labour.

----------

If u have reported it before warranty was up GM is on the hook! I was previously a GM sales manager and I'm not talking without knowledge.
I think you are right. It got worse today. Even in reverse, it kind of knocks slowly and then when accelerating slowly from a stop it knocks progressively faster, and is starting to sound like its coming from under the car or near the front of the dash.

It is still slightly shuddering between 20 - 30 MPH.

Bad news. I am out of warranty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If u reported it under warranty time it will be covered! I know this for sure. I had video of this problem but erased it after they fixed it a month ago. Bring it back to dealer. Only happens at low speed and just as u described!

----------

Just found video I took but can't upload to this site. Give me ur email or phone number and I will send u video.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

----------

You win!

Just had my private mechanic look at it.

There are two steady bearings along the drive shaft, and the front one is bad. The problem is, there is no good way to replace it.

Apparently, they have a bunch of these parts on hand, because there is a recall for this exact problem. Only, the SRX isn't part of the recall. (That doesn't make any sense) In other cars, its a safety issue, because if the shaft breaks free from the steady bearing, the shaft could cause the side airbags to deploy.

I am going to try to get in communication with Cadillac and figure out what can be done about this. I don't think a car with 80,145 miles on it should have a bad drive shaft. Of course, the problem that I found a year ago, before it was knocking as hard as it is now, "couldn't be duplicated" by the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
I have a 2010, 70K, strange problem with vibration as if I was driving over side groves when you drift out of the lane or in areas like toll booth approaching to slow down. Rump, rump, rump... about 4 times. You felt t through the entire car. Car drove fine all the time, but under certain conditions like merging onto highway on a p ramp, t would do it about 50% of the time. Dealer could not replicate. So I got lucky and was able to replicate it every time. Steady speed of 28 to 30MPH, then hit the gas WOT, magic I could get it to happen 75% of the time.... It seams that the car needs to be in a specific gear, then when it is under load like ( Carl filled with 4 people and luggage ) on vacation this was the first time this happen, had no idea what it was, hit the gas WOT, the car will not downshift, however, the load will be on the driveshaft and cause it to happen. The 2nd time to the dealer I got smart, stopped by Home Depot, picked up 10 bags of sand, put them in the trunk and wala..... recreated the problem every time..... again, it was a very specific speed, then try to force a downshift, the car will not downshift in that particular gear and cause the oscillation of the drive shaft. Dealer had to replace the entire drive shaft, was told by Mr. X that GM knows of the problem with the drive shaft design, short bolts holding some of the components..... and the drive shaft separating at highway speeds causing it to rip through the harness wiring under the car causing air bags to deploy, nice!. GM covered there tracks by stating it was something other that a design flaw.... This info was from Mr X who works at a dealership in the United States....

Entire driveshaft was replaced under CPO. Problem solved.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it was a design flaw, why aren't they recalling it? Especially if its a safety hazard?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
What the consumer does not know is Cash in GM's pockets..... Imagine them having to recall thousands of cars and trucks, it would cost them $$$. Give the customer the run around until they get tied of fighting and GM wins. It takes lots and lots of consumers to complain before something will get done. Most owners don't even know they have problems, or they just live with it if they do.

But.....

Sometimes consumers do win, like the drain tubes for the sunroof, anyone who paid to get them repaired ( Not under Warrantee ) can get a full refund for the repair since GM has finally acknowledged its a problem. But most of the people who paid out of pocket over $500-, don't even know they can get there money back, if they are on this site, its one of the benefits sharing this information.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a fight. Cadillac was very slow to respond, and the drive shaft was getting worse and worse.

Yesterday, they offered to cover the cost of the parts ($700+) if I could cover labor ($275). I said fine. I just want it fixed.

I am eyeing a 2015 Yukon Denali XL (growing family), but I have to second guess GM. I complained about it under warranty, but they said since I made the claim at the beginning of January 2014, they aren't sure the sound and shutter I felt was tied to this latest problem.

It gets fixed tomorrow thank goodness. I want my smooth driving car back. Right now, I am not sure I won't be stranded.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
What a fight. Cadillac was very slow to respond, and the drive shaft was getting worse and worse.

Yesterday, they offered to cover the cost of the parts ($700+) if I could cover labor ($275). I said fine. I just want it fixed.

I am eyeing a 2015 Yukon Denali XL (growing family), but I have to second guess GM. I complained about it under warranty, but they said since I made the claim at the beginning of January 2014, they aren't sure the sound and shutter I felt was tied to this latest problem.

It gets fixed tomorrow thank goodness. I want my smooth driving car back. Right now, I am not sure I won't be stranded.
You better check out the forums for the new GM full size suvs. Lots of vibration and buffeting issues.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up my car yesterday.

Cadillac agreed to pay 75% of the repair cost, since the sound I reported may or may not have been related to this problem.

Picked the repaired car up yesterday.

Today, it's making this thumping noise on acceleration. I bring it back to the dealership.

They are now saying that the pump that is next to the rear differential must have a leak at the gasket, and it's allowing fluid and air into the rear differential housing which is being forced out causing the thump.

They are sure that's it.

Cost to repair, $1200.

They said that it can no way be related to the replacement of the drive shaft, or the fact that I drove on the bad drive shaft bearing for a week on their recommendation while cadillac corporate decided what they wanted to offer me.

I have a 2010 cadillac with 80,000 miles on it, and I have needed $2,200 worth of drive train repairs in the last two weeks? Unreal.

I'll never but another GM product again. I'm beyond angry.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to my world jcar! Just 30,000 miles on mine and about 8000$ in warranty work done and another 1500$ they say I need done not covered in rear diff! Beat that!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Cadillac treated me right.

They fixed both issues, which would have totaled $2,200 for about $714.

I can't complain about that.

I am concerned though that the car (which never had an issue) had significant drive train issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts