Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The transmission just went. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw about a kilometer of white smoke engulfing every car behind me. I looked at the RPMs and saw the needle jump to red. I pulled over right away into a parking lot, locked it up and called a cab.

Anyone want to buy it?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
The transmission just went. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw about a kilometer of white smoke engulfing every car behind me. I looked at the RPMs and saw the needle jump to red. I pulled over right away into a parking lot, locked it up and called a cab.

Anyone want to buy it?
I'm sure the transmission didn't went. Like we told you, you will need a new radiator.

The transmission hose didn't just snap, it broke! The smoke you saw was the rest of the transmission fluid and coolant on your engine burning because the fitting is dead (part of the radiator) and you lost transmission fluid.

The transmission was slipping because is didn't have any fluid in the transmission.

I just don't know why you took your car in the first place when the rad and the transmission cooler line was shot.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I think he had the rad and line replaced.

Rekkid did you check the lines to see if it came off again? If the lines came off there is a chance the shop just welded or re attached your line somehow and it broke again...don't no how much you trust that shop. Where are you from?

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
It's a new rad, everything was suppose to be fixed and the shop said I was good to go. Total bill was $820 and they only charged $32 for the transmission fluid, and as far as I know, didn't do anything else regarding it except reuse the existing lines into the new rad. I expressed concern about the transmission, in fact that's why I brought it to this garage, they are well known in the area and specialize in them. They told me that the tranny seems fine and it only needed fluid. They had it out for four test drives and checked fluid levels each time they had it out.

This wasn't just a little bit of fluid burning off the engine, I couldn't see the vehicles behind me and the trail of smoke was literally a kilometer long. Yesterday when I picked the car up it drove well and everything seemed good. When I parked the car today I popped the hood and saw the front lower engine/radiator was all wet, nothing dripping that I could quickly see, but lots of smoke and strong smell of something burning. The radiator overflow was half full... but I was kinda mad and had other people with me in the car at the time and my first instinct was just get everyone home in cab as fast as possible... it was pretty cold out. I'll head back over to it tomorrow morning and see how she is and get it towed back to the garage.

I'm in Moncton, New Brunswick.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
im just sayin it sounds more like your line blew off again and maybe the shop messed up.
i worked with a guy from there, but i dont remember his name... he was a little loopy but a nice guy.

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I hear you, and I appreciate your feedback. Had it not been for this forum I could have easily been taken to the cleaners... although I'm not yet in the clear. The mechanic himself drives a new Escalade so I assuming he at leasts appreciates my situation.

I hope it's just a hose, I'm going to have a look at it now.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
any update?

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The transmission line came off the new rad. The fluid that is left in the tranny is black. The garage is blaming the aftermarket rad and is trying to get them to pay for a new transmission. In the meantime, the garage says that they're going to try and refill it to see how it runs and "hopefully its still ok".

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They reused it. They said the fitting on the new rad was plastic and attached the existing hose on it. They said they tugged on it and it was on good and solid and were very surprised it came off.

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They asked me how much I'd want to sell the car for. I told them more than they would be willing to pay. This is turning from bad to worse to ridiculous.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
if my mechanic was asking me that same question, I would check what he's doing on my car.

Sincerely, When they change the radiator, they had to change the transmission fitting hose. Put a new OEM rad (they corrected the flaw btw), new fitting and you'll be good to go with a peace of mind for ever! It happened on my car and I still love it!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
When they ask you that it means 2 things.
1. They are going to tell you the problem is bigger than it is and overcharge you
2. They are trying to scare you to sell it cheap, so they fix it and re sell it for a big profit.
Take your car somewhere else, no one uses plastic fittings on a high pressure line...how dumb are they. The fluid gets really hot and under a lot of pressure, those 2 combined of course the fitting was not going to stay on.

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'd love to take it somewhere else, but they're the ones that screwed up and they're the reason my transmission needs work. I'm not going to pay for this, they are... and they're trying. They know they need to repair this. Do I take it somewhere else and send the bill to them? I'm not sure that would go over very well.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
What do you mean they are trying to pay for it? If they have admited the damage is caused by a part you bought through them and their shotty install there is nothing left for them to argue.
Tell them fix it right and your parents are going to b taking over the car or you are selling to a friend so you need the warrenty info on the new tranny..new/used ones come with mileage on them and usually 90 day coverage when properly installed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
More great advice, thank you!

Yeah they are going after the company they bought the aftermarket rad from to get them to pay for the tranny. Regardless, I'm not paying for it. I hope they don't make things any more difficult for me than they already have.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
update?

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The garage replaced the rad again and sent the "defective" one to the supplier in Montreal for examination. It's possible they will recall the rads. They were suppose to take out the transmission today. I didn't ask if they were rebuilding or replacing. They were waiting to try and get the supplier to pay for the tranny, but after I had much discussion with them they are just going to do the work themselves. They have not provided me with a rental, I've asked but haven't pressured them. I'd really just like my car back to me at no additional cost. I'm not even sure when I'll get it back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow I just had this happen to my 2004 with only 54K miles on it. Lucky for me The car was at a stop light when it exploded. Question, what was the flaw that was mentioned in the thread? Also I was successful at getting Cadillac to cover almost all of the costs on this. Maybe due to the excellent condition my car is and such low miles and I'm original owner. Hopefully my tranny is not going to have issues later down the road. I do think the car will be sold soon as I've lost faith in GM quality.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
the threads on the line strip... i think its a combination of it being hot, pressurized and some corrosion build up... there should have been more threads and a bigger fitting, in my opinion this probably would have fixed the problem, and maybe using stainless steel.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts