Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS 3.6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my car has P0700 code, just came up yesterday. TCM needing replaced. So, I can buy another TCM but then I am finding it must be specific to my car. So obviously not an easy switch. So, what are suggestions here? My mechanic will use a part I purchased but if this part is easy to get to, I could put in the new one. After reading a few things, it's not that simple. This car is my nemesis. 6k in repairs in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. After this is the differential bushing, my mechanic said 900-1000 to replace. Anyway, can I do this myself? I'm on a limited income and cadillacs are expensive for upkeep in my experience. Thanks for your input!! :cool:

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
956 Posts
TCM is inside the transmission. Not an easy job. However, your problem may just be the electrical connector between outside wiring and inside the transmission wiring. The connector is a round -twist to lock - item on the passenger side of the trans. Personally, before I bought the TCM and got someone to install it, I would get someone to unplug, carefully inspect, and clean that connector. You may get lucky and finally find a cheap fix on a Cadillac. Good Luck

The $900 for the front differential bushing is a rip off. Can be done by an experienced DIYer but probably not you. I did it with a lift and about 5 hours of time but it pushed me to my limits. I am an experienced DIYer but am 71 years old. I did not use the factory part or the Creative Steel part. Ordered a specific older model spring shackle bushing and cut it down to size for about $20 or so. So parts and lift time charge, I spent $70 or so total plus my sweat and tears. No added beer charge since the lift was on a military Base (Auto Hobby Shop self repairs).

·
Registered
2005 STS 3.6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! I'm going to call around to price that bushing replacement. As for the TCM, I read it was on there passenger side under the hood, not in the transmission. I am getting the transmission fluids replaced with a new filter, had already scheduled that before the P0700 popped up. Not driving it now. Going 4 blocks to the mechanic is all. We shall see after this week. I know whomever had this before me did not take care of this car. I'm gonna have a great car whenever it stops begging for Maintainence.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
956 Posts
My bad. I was thinking you were referring to the TEHCM which is inside the tranny. Even if it is easier to get to, I still stand by my other advice. All these modules are replaced more often than needed. More times than not, the problem is corrosion at connectors or wiring problems when you get a module code. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2005 STS 3.6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!! My quandary now is where is it really? I have searched and searched. In addition I have been wanting to find a Chilton or Haynes book on my car. Also hard to find. At times like this I wish I had a brother.

·
Registered
2007 STS V8 AWD
30 Posts
Now my car has P0700 code, just came up yesterday. TCM needing replaced. So, I can buy another TCM but then I am finding it must be specific to my car. So obviously not an easy switch. So, what are suggestions here? My mechanic will use a part I purchased but if this part is easy to get to, I could put in the new one. After reading a few things, it's not that simple. This car is my nemesis. 6k in repairs in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. After this is the differential bushing, my mechanic said 900-1000 to replace. Anyway, can I do this myself? I'm on a limited income and cadillacs are expensive for upkeep in my experience. Thanks for your input!! :cool:
From Factory Service Manual; On Fusebox underhood.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 STS 4.6
55 Posts
I got my local dealer to replace my rear differential bushing for $600 bucks. If you got a shop and tools You can basically remove the drive shaft and two top mount bolts. Remove the differential mount bolt and than the the differential with tilt toward the ground. Now you have carefully cut of the mount bushing shell with torch. Than you can use the air hammer to pop out the shell. Than clean housing hole. I suggest freezing bushing in ur fridge. Than use a puller to install the bushing. You can even use 1/2 ready rod a back plate and a socket to drive the bushing in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts