Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Deville Concours
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to the beach when about 100miles away from home when code p117 came up, the tranny started slipping everytime i got the code. The code would turn on when i came to a dead stop and turn off as i got up to speed.When i got up to speed it would turn on again and start slipping. I heard it was something about Shift A/ Shift B open or shorted output. What does that mean and how can i fix it??? I was told that it has an internal leak and i would have to get the tranny rebuilt. I think it is an electrical issue as the tranny was working fine when i left the house. The first time the code came on was when i hit traffic after being on the highway for 1hr. Thanks, Sean

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
P117 (E117) .................... Open/Short Solenoids/Solenoid Wiring (Transmission)
Rather common problem on older models. I'd replace the solenoids.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
If you replace the solenoids (or have it done) make sure the new bracket is installed to hold the filter in place. The filter WILL break the new solenoids if the bracket is not installed.

·
Super Moderator
86,986 Posts
Zonie,
Isn't the bracket to hold the solenoids in place? I didn't think there was a filter there.

·
Super Moderator
86,986 Posts
They can be purchased from Rockauto for about $50 each. Not sure about labor, but I would guess $200 - $300 for the job (parts & labor).

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Ranger, I'm pretty sure it's holding the filter screen in.

CC, I do almost all my own work. We've seen a wide range of estimates...I think some have said over $600 knowing it's solenoids, up to rebuild prices.

I think a fair price is in the $250-300 range.

·
Super Moderator
86,986 Posts
I remember someone saying that they had them done for $300. Be careful though. Many places will try to up sell you a rebuild or a new trans. RUN away and fine someone honest.

·
Registered
Deville Concours
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I there any instructions and pictures about installing the A+B solenoids? I might be doing this myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts