Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a V recently and had the dealer put in a new differential at the end of the car's factory warranty, and clearing up one clunk has led to a new noise.

For some reason, when pushing in the clutch under light throttle in 1st and 2nd, it sounds like the transmission is clanging back and forth, almost as if it's not bolted down... I thought I had read something about the driveshaft torquing back and forth and causing a similar sound, but I can't find it now.

It doesn't happen once I work my way up the rpm band, only in lower rpms, and generally only when I push the clutch in and before letting off the gas, rather than the other way around.

Any thoughts? User error :) ?

Maybe I just need someone to teach me how to properly drive a race car :shhh: ?

Thanks everyone for the help

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Well I would take it back to the dealer and let them check it. It sounds like worn transmission and/or motor mounts from your description but they made have simply left something loose.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They checked the motor mounts while it was there and confirmed that they are good, but would bad or worn motor mounts cause this?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
They checked the motor mounts while it was there and confirmed that they are good, but would bad or worn motor mounts cause this?
Well worn motor mounts are not the only possibility but an "unachored" motor can cause a variety of symptoms like vibrations, rough motor shut down, and drive train noises.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
My clutch was just replaced under warranty last week due to a leak in the system, and now I have a slight clang and a definite shudder whenever I engage the clutch at low speeds. Is this a similar problem? Should I have them check the motor mounts, or is this something that will decrease as everything "settles in?"

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
I used to have these symptoms, so I doubt they'll decrease over time. If anything, they will get worse over time.

You might want to consider upgrading to polyurethane mounts (motor, transmission, rear diff bushing). Besides the PITA of install, they've worked well for me. Virtually clunk free. :cloud9:

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
:welcome: to the clunk club!

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Clunk, Clang, Boom, Bang.....hopefully you aren't unfortunate enough to hear the later of the two noises.

Welcome to the parade

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
63 Posts
I am taking my car in for this on Thursday. I will report what they find. Also notice my clutch resevoir was empty, I toped it off and it shifts smoother but I still have the same clanking.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I am taking my car in for this on Thursday. I will report what they find. Also notice my clutch resevoir was empty, I toped it off and it shifts smoother but I still have the same clanking.
Are you sure it is a "clank" and not a "clang"? If you are sure we have another new club to go with the pre-existing "clunk club" and "clang club."

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked my clutch fluid reservoir, and it looked dirty, but it was definitely full...

My sound is literally a clanging from underneath the shifter like the transmission is yawing back and forth. It seems to be tied to the torque of being under load and then not under load. It doesn't happen all the time though, so I was thinking maybe it was just user error :hmm:

I'll call the mechanic and just ask if he's seen this before, but I was hoping someone else had heard this.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
63 Posts
Are you sure it is a "clank" and not a "clang"? If you are sure we have another new club to go with the pre-existing "clunk club" and "clang club."
Clank, clang, bang, boom, vroom, the car makes many noises.

Anyway my car is done they "clanging" was supposedly the shifter fork needed to be lubed. :bonkers:. I will see if this cleared things up when I go and pick up the car tonight.

I got an 09 CTS as a loaner and I looooove the interior, the seat seem small and I am not a big guy (5-10, 160 lbs.)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
296 Posts
I think Luke sells those tranny mounts for a reason. The stock one is junk like all the other soft rubber bushings in the car. I would check there.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the late reply, project went to hell...

I took it to the dealer for another issue and had them take a drive to check the clanging sound, and they said it's normal. I think they're getting tired of fixing my warranty items :) Motor mounts are fine and a new differential was installed right after I bought it, so I know it's not one of those.

When I get home tomorrow night I'm going to try to record some audio and post it for the group to hear.

It may be flywheel related also, almost as though one of the springs that holds a mass in place is broken and the metal is just kind of clanging around.

Has anyone run into anything similar? As if your transmission is loose and throwing its weight around? :bonkers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts