Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Cadillac Seville, My first car
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone

I have a new question that needs to be resolved, apparently my car makes a loud grinding noise from the front of the car and it appears that its coming from the transmission, with that in mind what might the issue be

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,779 Posts
Re: Newbie here

Not much to go on. Does it happen in neutral? In gear? Only while moving? RPM or speed related?

A grinding noise from the trans can't be good (if that is in fact where it is coming from).

·
Registered
'02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS
1,948 Posts
Re: Newbie here

2 months later? Are you drivin' it like you stole it?
Convertor will make noise in gear & usually not in park.
Chain sprokets will make noise in park, go away in drive & come back while moving.
Gear set will make noise while moving & change with the shifts.
Diff will make noise while moving & not change with the shifts. (most common in 4T60E)
Whichever one, not good.
Are you sure it's a trans noise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello Cadillac community, I have a problem that needs to be resolved. I took my car in for service about a month ago and the mechanic told me I need to replace my transmission because the chain is missing. I was curious if the chain can be put back on or do I need to get a new transmission?:confused:
I enjoy the skepticism, the car was brought to the mechanic to fix the motor mounts and do some routine maintenance. The symptoms the car is experiencing are; a rumbling feeling in the gas pedal during acceleration, transmission will lock up and wont shift, the car also gets stuck in park when trying to drive and the transmission jumps when i brake.

any help is appreciated whether its sarcastic or not.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The chain is missing? That's impossible. If the chain were BROKEN (which doesn't happen), the car wouldn't move. But it can't just be missing, it's inside the transmission.

What symptoms are you having, and what was this "mechanic" doing to the car in the first place?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,249 Posts
Hello Cadillac community, I have a problem that needs to be resolved. I took my car in for service about a month ago and the mechanic told me I need to replace my transmission because the chain is missing. I was curious if the chain can be put back on or do I need to get a new transmission?:confused:
-------------------
I think the "mechanic" was YANKING your chain -

oh - and it sounds like it's time to find a new "mechanic" -

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The transmission chain is what transfers all the engine power past the Torque Converter to the transmission (eventually to the wheels).
No (or broken chain) = car will not move in any gear.

And yes the chain can be replaced in about 30 minutes after you spend 20h dropping the subframe. Not needed to be dropped all the way, just about 16" or so, enough to get access to the transmission side cover. You then spend the same amount of time to put the engine/tranny back in position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the sarcastic humor, I was unsure whether it was the transmission chain or something else because its my first car and i don't have much experience with vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I brought the car to a mechanic to fix the motor mounts and do some routine maintenance. The symptoms the car is experiencing are; a rumbling feeling in the gas pedal during acceleration, transmission will lock up and wont shift, the car also gets stuck in park when trying to drive and the transmission jumps when i brake.
Well, that is some of the symptoms im experiencing

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I missed that. (Was this thread merged with another?)

Has anyone checked the fluid level/condition, or pulled codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was told the transmission chain came off. There was no codes that mentioned the transmission and all fluids were changed immediately. I can only go on the word of the mechanics that worked on my car.

·
Registered
'02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS
1,948 Posts
If the chain came off, the car wouldn't move at all and the only way it would come off is if it broke. If it is extremely stretched it would bang on hard accel as it jumps the teeth of the sprocket. More common in the lesser units like AXOD, 4T60E, 440T4, 125... Never saw it happen in a 4T80E.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Once the chain jumps the car will basically have no more than 20 yards of driving and done.
What does “locks up and don't shift” means? Does not shift away from park (the shifter is stuck) or it stays in a gear no matter what speed you have.
“Stuck in drive when trying to drive”? Does it means you can't shift out of park or your shifter moves in another gear but the selected speed is not, or is off by 1-2 positions?
What "jumps when brake" means, it jumps out of gear in to neutral or is not downshifting?

I am just trying to understand the issue...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts