Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF in there car? I have used the MaxLife oil in many of my cars, but never there transmisson fluid.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
315 Posts
Royal Purple is the best transmission fluid. I had it in my 01 SLS (similar 4 speed transmission) and it shifted so smoothly.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Why is it "the best" ???

My 2002 STS gets the flying snot run out of it on a regular basis - it uses Pennzoil DEXRON-VI, shifts like butter when driven placidly, shifts quick and tight when pushed hard. No leaks, no squeals, fluid is sweet and bright red since 06/07.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Why is it "the best" ???

My 2002 STS gets the flying snot run out of it on a regular basis - it uses Pennzoil DEXRON-VI, shifts like butter when driven placidly, shifts quick and tight when pushed hard. No leaks, no squeals, fluid is sweet and bright red since 06/07.
It's synthetic transmisson fluid, which is better.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Dexron VI is the minimum specification. All the name brand ATF's that are Dexron approved are basically all similar. When you only have to meet a minimum standard to get approvals, there is no incentive to exceed those standards and make a better product. Also, a great many are just re-branded (GM approved) formulas.

I use AMSOIL ATF and have since 1980. Really improved the performance of the A6 in my 2009 CTS and they will not pay GM a dime.

According to published GM info, all these products are reblended. In short, they buy a formula, brew it up and package it in their bottle and tout its the best. So take your pick, not a whole lot of difference in any of them but colorful packaging and price.

BTW - Pennzoil is not a company. It is just a brand name owned by Shell Oil, as is Quaker State.
Royal Purple is a brand owned by Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P, a big oil company.

And all this a multi-billion dollar scheme designed to make GM more money, everyone pays GM for the license + a royality on every gallon of ATF sold.

ReblendersLicenseTrade Name
ValvolineJ-60151Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Allegheny PetroleumJ-60152Altra SHL DEXRON® VI - LV
Smitty's SupplyJ-60153Super S
Sure Guard
Shell LubricantsJ-60154AC/Delco DEXRON®-VI
Quaker State ATF DEXRON®-VI
Pennzoil DEXRON®-VI
Advanced Lubrication SpecialtiesJ-60155Advantage DEXRON®-VI
Amalie Oil CompanyJ-60156Amalie DEXRON®-VI Synthetic ATF
Wolf's Head DEXRON®-VI Synthetic ATF
Xcel DEXRON®-VI Synthetic ATF
Universal LubricantsJ-60157Universal DEXRON®-VI
Cam2 InternationalJ-60158CAM2 Synthetic ATF DEXRON®-VI
Citgo Petroleum CorporationJ-60159TranGard DEXRON®-VI ATF
Afton Chemical CorporationJ-60160HiTEC® 4006Y
Warren DistributionJ-60161MAG 1 DEXRON®-VI ATF
BP Lubricants USA, Inc.J-60162Castrol DEXRON®-VI ATF
Castrol Transmax DEX VI
Fuchs-Europe Schmierstoffe GmbHJ-60163TITAN ATF 6000 SL
Warren Oil CompanyJ-60164COASTAL DEXRON®-VI
WARREN DEXRON®-VI
LUBRIGUARD DEXRON®-VI
SERVICE PRO DEXRON®-VI
ZXP Technologies Ltd.J-601651st Priority DEXRON®-VI ATF
Total LubrifiantsJ-60166Fluidmatic VI
Gazpromneft-Lubricants, Ltd.J-60167G-Box ATF DX VI
ValvolineJ-60168DEXRON HP
SK CorporationJ-60169DEXRON HP
Shell LubricantsJ-60170DEXRON HP
Chevron Products CompanyJ-60171DEXRON HP
BP LubricantsJ-60172Castrol DEXRON®-VI ATF
Castrol Transmax Dex VI
Transmax Dex VI LV Multivehicle
Transmax® Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF
Allegheny PetroleumJ-60173Altra DEXRON®-VI Transmission Fluid
Warren DistributionJ-60174MAG 1 DEXRON®-VI ATF
Phillips 66 CompanyJ-60175Phillips 66 Lubricants DEXRON®-VI ATF
Kendall DEXRON®-VI ATF
Martin Operating Partnership LCJ-60176SynGard™ Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF
CAM2 International LLCJ-60177CAM2 DEXRON®-VI / MERCON® LV Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Colorado PetroleumJ-60178TBD
ExxonMobil CorpJ-60179TBD
Omni Specialty PackagingJ-60180TBD
Smitty's SupplyJ-60181TBD
Shell International Petroleum CompanyJ-60182Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF Shell Spirax S6 ATF X
Reliance Fluid TechnologiesJ-60183Maxximum Performace Synthetic Multi-Vehicle DEXRON®-VI
Mach 2 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle DEXRON®-VI
Tuxton Synthetic Multi-Vehicle DEXRON®-VI
Chrysan Industries, IncJ-60184TBD
Warren Oil CompanyJ-62100LubriGold® FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI-VEHICLE DEXRON®-VI ATF,
Warren® DEXRON®-VI AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, Coastal®
DEXRON®-VI AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Pinnacle OilJ-62101National DEXRON®-VI ATF
Warren Distribution Inc.J-62102TBD
Chevron Product Company.J-62103Havoline Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle DEXRON®VI
Ashland, Inc.J-62104Valvoline DEXRON-VI
Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P.J-62105TBD
OOO LLK-International (LukOil)J-62106LUKOIL ATF SYNTH VI

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium, 2009 DTS Base (sold), 1997 Eldorado Coupe
69 Posts
I use snake oil in mine. 100 times better than anything else out there so the salesman said.

All kidding aside, tjwhite721 and Z71 are correct. A full synthetic such as Amsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line, and others will provide better wear protection and better performance - especially long term. There have been many tests performed in controlled conditions proving synthetic lubricants are far superior to a petroleum-based product. I know the Amsoil is a full synthetic because I have used it for over 20 years. I did my homework and the research before switching to synthetic lubricants. I have no idea what was in my 2009 DTS transmission when I bought it with 26k on the meter, but when I changed it over to Amsoil ATF, the difference was night and day. To give you a perspective on synthetics, my uncle has used Amsoil synthetic lubricants in his fleet of trucks for 30+ years because it reduces downtime, maintenance costs, and increases fuel economy. He regularly runs between 600,000 to over 800,000 miles between engine overhauls and over 1,000,000 miles on the transmissions and differentials.

·
Administrator
68,531 Posts
Curiously a significant percentage of "DEXRON-VI" on store shelves is a synthetic product. (as shown in the chart in post 6)

Here's some hearsay and black magic as opposed to industry fact .............

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000384801.cfm

http://www.gmdexron.com/index.aspx

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/automatic-transmission-products/automatic-transmission-fluid/36

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/dexron-vi-atf

........... for cold, hard fact you need to abandon the industry technical papers and get into forums in BITOG ................

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=825873

Decibel, Even back in '74 a friend of mine, long haul diesel truck driver, was going 450,000 before replacing the pistons and liners in his big Cummins diesels. Heck - a (cared for) Cat 3208 NA will run up to 5,000 hours (300,000 miles at 60) before ring jobs. But ........... different problems for transmission fluids - they hold up well because they see nowhere near the abuse that engine oils do.

Who has bragging rights - The car owner who drives 150,000 miles with no transmission problems using DEXRON-VI or the car owner who drives 150,000 miles with no transmission problems using an AMSOIL product ? Seems to me there are one hell of a lot more vehicles running around the world on manufacturer recommended fluids than there are using the boutique fluids............. and statistically they ALL last just as long. Don't get me wrong - I have used both AMSOIL and Royal Purple products in car and boat engines - and in no case was I able to justify the extra expense of the boutique product. (But Royal Purple does have a "WOW !!!" factor on the dipstick at a car show. :sneaky: )

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium, 2009 DTS Base (sold), 1997 Eldorado Coupe
69 Posts
Synthetics are not "boutique" products anymore. Manufacturer recommended fluids ARE synthetics in a lot of cases now. You better not try running a petroleum oil in a DTS or Corvette and go by the oil monitor computer built into the car for the oil change interval. The built in oil life computer is based on the longevity that only a synthetic can offer. Extended drain intervals are a key advantage of synthetics. Sure, you can get a bunch of miles out of a car engine if you change your petroleum oil every 3000 miles. Or you can use a quality synthetic and run it from 12000 to 25000 miles or more AND get seriously better wear protection. This has been proven time and time again with ASTM standard testing such as the four ball wear test. I have seen the tests performed for the Department of Defense by Wyle Laboratories on engine oils and the results were very clear. The test results are out there if you care to look. Personally, I wouldn't run anything but synthetic lubricants because I KNOW the difference. It's also less expensive in the long run because you don't have to change it as often. I'm surprised as someone who has used Amsoil products that you could not find justification. Do the math. It's LESS expensive when used properly. And no, I'm not an Amsoil dealer. I don't use Amsoil exclusively either. Mobil 1 has some nice products. I guess that's why it is listed from the factory on the oil filler cap.

·
Administrator
68,531 Posts
Synthetics are not "boutique" products anymore.
No one said they were. Synthetics are now as common as dirt. They are petroleum derivative oils. For the flip side, have you seen the latest synthetic engine oils made from natural gas ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
No one said they were. Synthetics are now as common as dirt. They are petroleum derivative oils. For the flip side, have you seen the latest synthetic engine oils made from natural gas ?
Most of GM products are synthetic blend. You could not do synthetic oil changes for for $27 dollars or transmission service for only $150. DEXRON-VI or what its called its not fully synthetic. The best fluid GM makes is Coolant :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts