Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have been following the saga of the spun bearing in my old 2007 ESV, I have a happy ending. The road to nirvana was paved with trials and tribulations with a dealer in PA (and of course my home dealer in MD), but a great deal presented itself in Long Island of all places. I got a 2012 CPO Escalade ESV Platinum, with dual exhaust and black with black interior and 31K miles.

What's old is new again!'

I drove the last ESV for 6 years. There is something great about driving the same model again, because you know a lot about it already. But the jump from 2007 to 2012 brings with it some significant changes inside and out.

Dual exhaust and ride - It's different. I know that there has been some discussion in this forum on whether there are any "real" differences in performance between single and dual exhaust. I would say the jury is still out for me. What I have noticed is less "rumble" sound on start up. It's quieter. Even inside the cabin on acceleration. The magnetic suspension adds another dynamic of less road feel. Combined, these effects present a more refined, classy ride and sound. It drives like a classic top line cadillac, which while powerful, is luxurious in feel. In comparison, the 2007 almost feels like it had a sports suspension. In test driving, my observation is that single exhaust platinums sounded and drove more like the 2007, while the dual exhausts drove like the car that I got. Is there any physics behind any of this, I do not know, but as I said before, it's "different".

Electronics - Hallejuah for the bluetooth. Can even do Siri through the car. With the upgrade to digital Onstar, you get to use the mobile phone app - lock, unlock, remote start, horns and light from your phone. You can even google a location and have it sent to your Onstar using the app. There is also a cadillac app that allows you to schedule maintenance, get coupons, etc. The blind spot warning signals can be a little annoying, but it is just getting used to them. The USB port is great for using iPhone for music/charging. The XM traffic warnings can be a little annoying, but there are settings to manage the notifications.

The headrest entertainment system is a little bit of a quandry. Awesome for viewing DVDs, but can't figure out how to get video in from phones/tablets (except older gen iPhone/iPad like iPhone 4), since that is how the kids do it these days. Need to figure out how to get video in from iPhone 5S/6. Any ideas would be appreciative.

The heated/cooled cup holders are a little bit of a mystery. I would seem the best use case is for a cold can, that you want to keep cold. But don't see them cooling a hot can, and not sure how good a plastic bottle/cup would do, as plastic doesn't conduct heat/cold very well.

Alarm - Having been the victim of disappearing 22" wheels one night, I installed an alarm on the 2007. It was a 2 way Viper with tilt sensor to detect car being jacked up. With the new car being a CPO, I don't want to do anything that would void the warranty. I have wheel locks installed (actually have 2 sets per wheel, but the second set that I removed from teh 2007 will not fit on the platinum wheels (too long). Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciative.

More as I get it, and thanks to all. Should have joined this forum a long time ago.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
There is an oem tilt sensor and shock sensor. It will not void warranty if dealer installed as it is plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
Tilt sensors are useless, an experienced thief will simply block up the car, let the air out of the tires and remove them.

.....Congrats on the upgrade though!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an oem tilt sensor and shock sensor. It will not void warranty if dealer installed as it is plug and play.
GM sells this? Anyone with parts #'s?

----------

Tilt sensors are useless, an experienced thief will simply block up the car, let the air out of the tires and remove them.

Thanks MrHolland, and copy all that. Same with wheel locks. All it is is something to potentially deter/slow down the amateurs long enough to maybe get caught and police called. I had my 2007 parked in my driveway for 4 years before I got got. And it was a horrible feeling. I like the sound of the OEM pieces, but it was the little flashing light that I was hoping to restore, before the theieves realize that daddy got a new caddy.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Good luck with your new truck, I have/had 3 2012 platinum's, and still have one with 9k miles on it, got rid on our 2015 to keep the 2012, all my 2012's were ordered WITHOUT the dual exhaust option, because I had a few B&B systems laying around, and after a dozen Escalade's and trying all exhaust systems nothing sounds like the B&B system

----------

GM sells this? Anyone with parts #'s?

----------

Thanks MrHolland, and copy all that. Same with wheel locks. All it is is something to potentially deter/slow down the amateurs long enough to maybe get caught and police called. I had my 2007 parked in my driveway for 4 years before I got got. And it was a horrible feeling. I like the sound of the OEM pieces, but it was the little flashing light that I was hoping to restore, before the theieves realize that daddy got a new caddy.
All the things can at least slow the crooks down. I believe the part number you are looking for is #22962506

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts

Most two-bit thugs in the Charlotte area wouldn't have enough sense to do that.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I had dealer install both tilt sensors and shock sensors but dealer said shock sensor was enough. It is adjustable for sensitivity. In addition I installed two wheel locks per wheel. Good luck taking 8 wheel locks in addition to the regular nuts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like my dealer could find the tilt sensor (about $155), but not the shock sensor. May try a Chevy dealer as well.

Don't get the heated/cooled cupholders. Anyone had luck with them? One makes a vibrating noise when I trun it to cool. Maybe it's broken?

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
I have it in my MY10 and they were in my MY09 as well. I like them even as primitive as they are. They simply extend cool and hot times. They don't bring a drink to temp. I have long commutes and appreciate the extended hot time of my coffee in the morning.

My do not buzz or vibrate. There are fans on the back side, maybe check for something rubbing against those.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Congrats on an awesome truck, my hubby and I have two 2013 Platinums and love them both! We came from an 07 Yukon Denali XL and noticed the much quieter exhaust on the Esky as well as the smoother ride.

What i find helpful with the cup holders is if your drink is too hot, turn on the cooling feature to cool it off faster!

Many happy miles and enjoy your new truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all on advice and parts #'s. Yeah, will need to check that noise out. Getting used to the ride. Noticed myself hitting gas a little more like I am used to. Just a matter of time!

A couple of observation:

The button to fold the 2nd row seats is actually back by the third row seats vice the upper center console in the front seat.

The power running boards scare me a little. I think that I am going to break them, as much as they cycle! I get out the driver seat. It goes down. If I delay going into the back seat to get something, they go up. When I open the back door, it goes down. When I shut the door, it goes up.

This is weird, but the turn signals are louder.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Thanks to all on advice and parts #'s. Yeah, will need to check that noise out. Getting used to the ride. Noticed myself hitting gas a little more like I am used to. Just a matter of time!

A couple of observation:

The button to fold the 2nd row seats is actually back by the third row seats vice the upper center console in the front seat.

The power running boards scare me a little. I think that I am going to break them, as much as they cycle! I get out the driver seat. It goes down. If I delay going into the back seat to get something, they go up. When I open the back door, it goes down. When I shut the door, it goes up.

This is weird, but the turn signals are louder.
You can adjust the volume of the turn signals, it's in the DIC customization settings. I think they call it chime volume.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts