Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some tranny fluid in my transfer case on my 2005. Should I use what the dealer gave me dexron vi or use what the manual calls for (dexron iii) they said dexron 3 became 6. But 6 is synthetic and thinner then 3 it might not mix well with 3. What did you guys do? They said if it hasn't been serviced don't flush it so that's why im adding. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I had the fluid changed in the transfer case on my 03 and haven't had a problem
Not sure if they used synthetic fluid or not
A flush would likely take care of any old fluid though

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I think it depends on the transfer case model

My dad's h2 uses the manual tranny fluid in its transfer case(had it changed)

Mine uses the dexron stuff and haven't had a problem(also had it changed)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it said if you have dexron iii in it Don't put in dexron vi it can cause failure but use the manual tranny/transfer case fluid instead

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
First of all Dexron VI is NOT synthetic. Its a mixture of Gr. II and Gr. III base stocks + additives. At best it might be a blend although GM does not say it is. No where does GM mention the word synthetic in any descriptive data for Dexron VI. Matter of fact the safety data bulletin (mandatory) says its petroleum so I don't know where people get the assumption its a synthetic fluid.

Transfer cases and transmission that call for Dexron III should NOT Dexron VI. Dexron VI has additives in it that can harden the seals.

This fluid is in reality Dexron III.
This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
godsdiablo said:
So I should use the 888 part number ? That info came straight from Cadillac parts department that it was synthetic
Yes
I was also told it was synthetic and was showed by the service manager at my local dealer on his computer as proof

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so I just left Cadillac parts dept. had to purchase pipe sealant with PTFE
Part # 10-2008 12346004 they also said its not synthetic and that dexron III and dexron III-H was replaced by dexron VI. And not to use manual transmission and transfer case fluid that is for 4wd. I purchased III online for $4 a quart I'm going to put that in my transfer case

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
SFX Group said:
What happened to Dextron 3 than?
Superseded by the newer stuff

My truck has been super quiet with the new fluid(when the fan clutch is moaning like crazy) you can't hear nothing but the rumble of the engine

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is still dexTron 3 / mercon. Same stuff acdelco actually stopped putting there name on it in 2010. And the pipe sealant was actually white lithium grease.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
godsdiablo said:
There is still dexTron 3 / mercon. Same stuff acdelco actually stopped putting there name on it in 2010. And the pipe sealant was actually white lithium grease.
It is still being made but gm has newer stuff so that's why they use it
I have use the white lithium grease on the door hinges before(good stuff)

·
Registered
None at the moment
623 Posts
I am buying 2 new rear door handles (outside) the passenger has come off (the hinge, nice theft deterrent), the drivers rear will come on later this year (seen the rust on the "chrome").

1 - 15 of 15 Posts