Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a new and previously happy caddy owner. Just bought a 96 sedan deville for $5500 at the auction, and I'm driving home with this "hey I just won the Lotto" smile and the service transmission message comes on. So I figure its something simple since it seems to shift fine. I take it to be scaned, error code 717 low imput speed sensor. Next I take it to the local transmission shop to get an estimate. He tells me $30 part-$900 labor!!! :shocked2: Now I know I'll have to take this one on the chin, but can anyone tell me if this is a common thing with the 96 devilles or if there were any recalls. I have did a little research on this problem and I've found I'm not the only one that has had this. Also what kind of damage will this cause if I continue to drive with this fault? Thanks

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Hi MrHyde! Welcome aboard.. And thank you for signing up! Since I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm going to highlight this post so others will see it easier.. Someone should be here to help you shortly...

·
Registered
30 Posts
mrhyde719003 said:
Hello all, I'm a new and previously happy caddy owner. Just bought a 96 sedan deville for $5500 at the auction, and I'm driving home with this "hey I just won the Lotto" smile and the service transmission message comes on. So I figure its something simple since it seems to shift fine. I take it to be scaned, error code 717 low imput speed sensor. Next I take it to the local transmission shop to get an estimate. He tells me $30 part-$900 labor!!! :shocked2: Now I know I'll have to take this one on the chin, but can anyone tell me if this is a common thing with the 96 devilles or if there were any recalls. I have did a little research on this problem and I've found I'm not the only one that has had this. Also what kind of damage will this cause if I continue to drive with this fault? Thanks
Hello .... sounds just like me, I bought one (96 deVille) and the sensor failed but mine would not shift out of second because of the sensor (limp mode is what they call it) and its a tough one to get to, and cadillac did not put the best sensor in there .. there is a updated sensor to replace it ... I told my mechanic to rebuild my tranny while it was out and on the bench... cost me $1600 @85,000 miles... good luck

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
There are 2 speed sensors....... One on the tranny input shaft <very bad> and one near the wheel well (easy to get at).......... The sensors are known to fail...... Hopefully the one that failed is the one behind the wheel well, and not the one on the tranny shaft......... You have to drop the tranny to do the latter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
elwesso