Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 cts Manual trans vin 7 with 3.6 motor . I am having trouble finding the filter for manual. Is the filter the same for manual and the automatic ? Which filter do i use ?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,678 Posts
Normally cars do not have filters on manual trans. They do use a magnetic drain plug to hold the metal pieces .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.i giess thats why i csnt find it . I got under the car and looked. Kinda feel like an idot . But i guess thats why i got yall for .thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Just be sure you use the correct "manual shift transmission oil" for that model transmission.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,469 Posts
Try Merriam Webster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funk you dont have to be a dick . I didnt fucking know so i asked . You dont know everything so fuck off .

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
we don't have too many with Manual trans. so let me help you.
The oil to use is GL-5 SAE 75-90, it holds 1.9 quarts. this is the same oil used in the rear differential.
You will need to get NEW washer or seal, to install in the drain plug and fill plug. see the attachment picture of Trans.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Clean away any dirt and debris from around the transmission fluid drain plug area.
  3. Position an appropriate container below the transmission drain plug.
  4. Remove the transmission fluid drain plug (4) and washer (3). Discard the washer. Clean off the metal on the magnet of the drain plug.
  5. Allow the transmission fluid to drain into the container.
  6. Install the transmission fluid drain plug (4) and a NEW washer (3).
    Tighten
    Tighten the drain plug to 37 N·m (27 lb ft).
Filling Procedure
    1. Clean away any dirt and debris from the transmission fluid fill plug area.
    2. Remove the transmission fluid fill plug (2) and washer (1). Discard the washer.

3. Fill the transmission to just below the bottom of the fill plug hole with the recommended fluid. Refer to Lubrication Specifications.
    1. Install the transmission fluid fill plug (2) and a NEW washer (1).
      Tighten
      Tighten the fill plug to 37 N·m (27 lb ft).
    2. Remove the container used to catch the used transmission fluid from under the vehicle.
    3. Lower the vehicle.

NOTE: best to have the car level when you fill the oil to the fill plug. If you have a library card you can go online (in most cities) to use the Chilton repair manual, that where I get my info.

Attachments

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,469 Posts
Caddy fred .... fuck you too
Just a joke, no offense intended. It appears that Flash was a lot more helpful, follow his advice instead.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,522 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,049 Posts
Most informative thread. Prolly ain't gonna last long with this crew.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
9 Posts
Hi Me-Gone,
Flash has the correct process. I've not changed fluid in a manual trans for many years and wonder; "Why are you changing the fluid?"
1. There is no reservoir, the fluid is contained within the transmission case which is probably cast aluminum alloy and contains the gear system. I Googled <Cadillac CTS Manual Transmission Image> and found a few photos. They will give you an idea of what you are going to be looking at.
2. If you are having problems with the transmission, changing the fluid will probably not fix it.
3. After you drain the fluid, don't throw it out. Put it in a plastic or aluminum pan and drag a magnet through it. If you pick up a lot of metal or large pieces, you have big time problems. See #2
4. When you add the fluid back to the tranny, you will probably need a pump to get it in. I've used a squeeze bottle that I got at a marine store, It is used to pump fluid into boat drives. As Flash mentioned, keep the car level and as you get near the end of the fluid, you should be able to insert your little finger into the fill hole and feel the level. Don't get it stuck, it hurts like hell!:rolleyes:

You can do this job, it is basic. Safety is a big deal with this because you are going to be sliding under the car. Use good jack stands and don't depend on any jack. Not being safe can make you very dead.

I'll go back to my original question. Why are you changing the fluid?
We were all idiots and some of us still are,
Paul, Ohio, USA

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'll go back to my original question. Why are you changing the fluid?

Manual transmissions have STEEL gears and bearings that wear. The oil gets contaminated by the worn metal and the environment, it has no filter to clean the oil only the magnets to hold the worn metal. The same is true of the differentials. and please change the power steering fluid too. Brake fluid is another fluid that gets contaminated it needs to be changed.
The car is 12 years old. Those are all good reasons.

I really don't think Me-Gone43 will be back after that reception that some members wrote to be humorous.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts