Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change the Trans Fluid and Filter on my '93 Deville 4.9 and would like to verify exactly how much Trans Fluid needs to be put back in the trans.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the trans fluid and filter since my last reply. As caddydaddy had stated on the capacity, I had also learned that 6 quarts was what it called for.

But mine needed 6 1/2 quarts to get it into the range. It probabaly would take about 6 3/4 quarts to get it to the Full mark.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has a trans that also needed more than what it calls for.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,725 Posts
Are you checking it hot, or cold? The fluid does expand when it's hot, and an extra 3/4 quart sounds like a bit much to add.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
caddydaddy,

The car was warm before we changed the filter and fluid and I let it run about 5 minutes after. Also shifted thru all the gears a couple of times before checking it. Took it for a 6 mile ride, checked it again and it still showed about 3/4 down, but at that point I only added 1/2 quart to be on the safe side.

We just drove the car on a 40 mile trip on a hot day to boot and before shutting it off I checked it again and it showed just under the Full mark. Therefore proving your point about checking it when it wasn't hot enough, but yet still my car takes 6 1/2 quarts to fill it.

I asked a knowlege-able friend of mine about his opinion on either going by the book or going by the dip stick and his answer was to go by the stick, which is also my opinion.

I never had to be this technical with my old Chevys, but I feel like it is necessary with what I own now.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,725 Posts
OK, sounds good. If I remember right, I also had to add a bit when I changed the trans fluid in my '93 and '94. But I don't remember adding 3/4's of a quart. I'm sure there are variances in the dipsticks as well. I wouldn't worry about it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts