Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Just bought a 96' STS with 110k miles on her! Runs great, no problems, but I'd like to know where to check the trans fluid and fill it! I've gotten the basic drain procedures down but haven't seen a dipstick anywhere but for the Engine oil!:rant2: Any help would be great :worship:

Great site, I'll be here for a while!

Tom

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Painless said:
Hello everyone, Just bought a 96' STS with 110k miles on her! Runs great, no problems, but I'd like to know where to check the trans fluid and fill it! I've gotten the basic drain procedures down but haven't seen a dipstick anywhere but for the Engine oil!:rant2: Any help would be great :worship:

Great site, I'll be here for a while!

Tom
It's kind of hiding under the air filter box. If you loosen the hose clamp around the MAF and disconnect the IAT sensor on the box, you'll be able to swivel it up and out of the way of the dipstick/fill plug.

Change the fluid before you check it. Drop the pan, be ready for a mess, backflush the screens, wipe off the gasket and gasket sealing surface, remove the "hidden" side cover drain plug, put the plug back in, put the screens back in, put the pan back on, torque bolts appropriately, fill transmission with about 6-7 qts. of Dexron-III ATF (Texaco is the factory fill), start engine, check level on cold mark with engine running. Adjust level as needed. DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANSMISSION. In case you didn't hear that, I'll say it again: DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANSMISSION. If it's full to the Hot marks while the fluid is cold, it's overfilled. Either drain it by dropping the pan a little bit or siphon it out with the engine running. To check it hot, drive it for 20 minutes or so on a warm day or 30 minutes on a cold day, park on a level surface, run the trans through all the gears momentarily (a few seconds on each setting), put it in park, and check the level with the engine running. It should be in the hash marks for the Hot range. DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANSMISSION.

If you have any questions or problems, let us know.

·
Registered
1996 STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's what I needed to know! You don't have to worry about an overfill situation.. I'm new to Caddy and the Northstar, not cars.. LOL I've built my share of autos over the last 16 years! Thanks again:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts