Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 cts 3.6l galaxy silver with grey/black interior
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe the luck I've had. Stuck in the snow for a week and got tired of it so I got it out. Gave her hell trying. Alot of reverse to drive reverse to drive shifting but I always hit the brake and let the engine slow back down before going into drive or reverse. Thats not where the problem arose. When pulling into my spot i had to park behind someone and couldnt get the car straight without sliding into a bank or ditch so i powerbraked it and slid the ass end around maybe 4 feet. When i tapped the gas one more time it cIunked pretty hard. I tried giving it a little gas and it rolled backward. I put it into park and it sounded like when you put it into park while driving. Ya know.... clicking fast. It keeps doing that until the rpms drop very low. It only clicks in park but no other gears do anything. Tried reverse and 1st all the way up to drive. Nothing. Kind of sounds like I've bearings rolling around inside of the trans sometimes. It just happened so this is all I know so far. It's 3 am and I'm Goin to bed. I have no idea what ive done. Please i need help!!!! Its an 04 3.6 auto. Trans has about 182k on it now. I'm hoping it's not done for. Also I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any and all help/ input is greatly appreciated. Thanks all! And sorry for the book.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there anything this bang could have been? Maybe in the driveshaft? Like I said it has 182k on it. I had been driving it all day and it acted absolutely fine. No warning what so ever. I can't find anything describing what happened. I'm glad I have a little money so I can buy the trans but I don't know what it takes to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I found that I lost a small amount of trans fluid. No codes are being found with my little elm 327 obd2 reader. I'm still paying on this car and I've had absolutely nothing but problems out b of it. Seems like it's cursed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talking to myself here but I just need to know what I could check? It popped so kinda has me thinking maybe a u joint? Idk I'm lost. Need to know if I should give up in it.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
Reads to me as the flex plate and the torq converter have become disconnected.
Something like this maybe.

Cannot locate a picture.
This may be the part.
GM 12572042 | DRIVE PLATE | 2004 Cadillac CTS

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a diy fix or should I leave this to someone who knows transmissions? If it is in gear there is a grinding sound or a couple loose bolts rattling type sound. I looked under the car and found a 2 or 3 inch bolt hanging beneath where the motor and trans bolt up.. Looks like a 13 mm. I have a pic but it's to large. What do the bolts look like that pull the trans to the engine? As in how long and what size? Bout 8 inches of snow outside and a bunch of soupy slush or I'd crawl under there.

----------

Also there have been a few people saying torque converter I guess because of the clicking sound it makes when you put it back in park. Can I replace the torque converter and all be well?

·
Registered
2010 Black CTS 3.6L RWD , 2010 Silver CTS 3.6L RWD
51 Posts
Sure sounds like you need a garage and at least get under there for a good look. From whats written it looks like at least you will be pulling the tranny out. Not really a DIY job imo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I was afraid of. I'm hoping it is something simple but as everyone on this forum knows there isn't much simple about this car.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
I looked under the car and found a 2 or 3 inch bolt hanging beneath where the motor and trans bolt up.. Looks like a 13 mm. I have a pic but it's too large.
Use one of the multiple free image resizing programs you can find online.

Regardless, whatever you found isn't a good sign. And if you have to ask if replacing the torque converter or transmission is a DIY type thing, then no, it's not a DIY type thing. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've replaced a couple clutches in an old s10. I just know that nothing on this car is similar to anything I've done on any car lol also never done anything to an auto transmission either. If there are special tools or to tricks I'm not attempting this but if it's a pull and replace type deal I may try. http://i.picresize.com/ES25 this is the bolt that is hung around where the engine and trans are mated.

----------

No warranty on the work but the garage may help me if I do find this bolt goes to the transmission somewhere. I can't find a guide for replacing a torque converter or a transmission in general... any links? Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the triple post!! But is this transmission a 5l40e?

·
Registered
629 Posts
You probably won't find a procedure without all data. It's pretty straight forward, for removal; Drop the exhaust, then drain the trans fluid. Drop the driveshaft, crossmember, and starter. Then unplug the (I believe 3 electrical connections) 2 O2 sensors and the trans harness, this is of course after disconnecting the battery. Then it's just a matter of getting to the trans bolts out. All but two are pretty easy. For the very top two I connect about 4' of 3/8 drive extensions and a universal socket joint to unscrewed them from pretty much the back of the car. Also it helps a lot if you drop the crossmember before getting those bolts so the unit sags a bit but be sure to still support it w a jack. Then you inspect your flex plate for cracks and warping, replace the torque converter. When installing the new torque convert you install it in the transmission first. It has 3 levels of seating. The last is the front pump which you must seat properly or your car won't circulate fluid. So you literally won't move and you'll need to replace the pump or get another trans. Then you line your tq studs up with the flex plate and bolt them together through the starter hole. The transmission needs to come together smoothly if you have to pull the trans to the motor by tightening bolts then it's not seated properly and you need to pull it out and realign and try again. From there it's a breeze putting everything else back in as long as you have some help or really good trans jack stand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That actually sounds like a job I may be able to do myself with some help. So every one is pretty much agreeing my problem lies within the torque converter/flex plate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealership says it's the rear end... does this sound legit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By dealership I mean the small car lot I got the car from. I don't understand how these symptoms add up to a differential failure. What are the normal diff failure symptoms?

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
From post one:
"I put it into park and it sounded like when you put it into park while driving. Ya know.... clicking fast.
It keeps doing that until the rpms drop very low.
It only clicks in park but no other gears do anything."

That does not read as rear end.

You are unable to get to the bell housing inspection cover to do some investigating?
This is not looking good for your team.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just talked to the guy and he says everything inside the trans is moving as it should and that my rear end is gone. But yes... if you take it out of park and then put it back in it definitely clicks like you put it in park while driving. Idk I'm no master mechanic lol... my rear end was very noisy tho and I never had any problems at all out of the trans. And I am going to try to go by there tomorrow and hopefully show them what I'm talking about. He said it's 100 percent not the trans. Just doesn't seem like anything differential related to me. Sorry to ask again but when a rear end goes.. what are the usual after effects? Noises, will the car move, and would moving the shifter do anything?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts