1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:
I had my transmission rebuilt on my 03 escalade 6.0
The original transmission just quit. Worked 100% then worked 0%.
So after its been fixed, it just doesn't seem right.

1) Very very hard downshift from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1
2) Sometimes the tranny seems to come out of gear, and then bang into gear when hitting the gas. Especially when doing like 15 mph while making a turn and then accelerating after the turn, it then bangs into gear.
3) When starting the vehicle, I have noticed on a few ocassions that the truck sort of moves when it starts.

Anyway, I took it in early this week and the owner of the shop said that the new tranny set up has like 7-9 psi and the original called for 3 psi, so thats why it shifts so hard. He said there is really nothing wrong, and it won't harm anything. Does that sound like BS to you? The tranny always shifted very quiet before.

He said he would change the valve body again with I believe one that would bring the pressure down. He did ay the higher the pressure, the longer it would last.

I did mention to him about doing an update to the computer, and he thought it was a great idea..........except his shop does not do it. He said only CADDY could do the update.

I would like to know what the real deal is with this tranny and the problems now associated with it. What am I in a position to say/suggest/require??

Thanks guys as always

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a Jasper installed in mine and have had none of the issues you speak off, sounds a little off to me, these are not 2500 series pickups that need a shift kit. Its an eskie and in my opinion should ride and drive like one, I would expect it to perform as new. Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't want all of that gear banging.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
BS, a hard shifting transmission is going to have a significantly reduced lifespan, period. This is a MAJOR problem with BMW E65 7 Series owners, ESPECIALLY the "bang" when slowing then accelerating.

It IS true that manufacturers purposely soften transmission shifting to minimize customer complaints, but it should never be THAT MUCH of a difference and in so many gears, and ESPECIALLY not on the downshift.

I don't even feel mine downshift half the time and it has 90k on my '06.

How many miles were on your truck when it failed???

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were approx 80K on that tranny when it crapped out.
I was going to bring it in on Monday of next week to get it fixed.
The sound is so loud that it really annoys me.
The shop owner also said that the front diff had some issues, which I knew, and is going to take a peak at that as well. Its all under warranty...after market....so we will see what happens.
I was just asking here because I wanted to tell the shop owner what was on my mind and sort of be able to back it up with some facts. I do not want to have the truck in the shop every month for the same issue. Just want my "quiet" shifting escalade back. Has anyone here had any success with a tranny computer update????

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
There were approx 80K on that tranny when it crapped out.
I was going to bring it in on Monday of next week to get it fixed.
The sound is so loud that it really annoys me.
The shop owner also said that the front diff had some issues, which I knew, and is going to take a peak at that as well. Its all under warranty...after market....so we will see what happens.
I was just asking here because I wanted to tell the shop owner what was on my mind and sort of be able to back it up with some facts. I do not want to have the truck in the shop every month for the same issue. Just want my "quiet" shifting escalade back. Has anyone here had any success with a tranny computer update????
Any reason why you just didn't take it to a Caddy dealer if you had the extended warranty anyway?

I've never heard of these trucks needing any computer updates for shifting. That is again... the band-aid fix BMW used to do for E65 owners, just "update the software" and for me it didn't do shit.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The warranty I have is not from caddy, but an aftermarket warranty that I purchased when I bought the vehicle from a non-caddy dealer.
Caddy wanted $4700 for a tranny rebuild. Warranty Co. would not pay that much as the going rate from professional tranny shops is $1800-$2200, less than half the price.

That being said, I wonder if anyone else here has had similar tranny issues and how they were resolved?
:hmm:

·
Registered
05 ESV
3 Posts
Bad rebuild!

I just had my replaced at the dealer. under $3000 for parts and labor. The transmission now has the GM 3 yr 100,000 warranty for their remanufactured units. It shifts like silk. 4L60Es are weak transmissions. I have had to replace one in every vehicle (tahoe suburban etc) that I have had in the 75,000 to 110,000 mile range. GM warranty is the way to go.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:stirpot:For those here that are more tranny savy, what are some issues that would cause the tranny to do the things I described???
I agree the tranny should shift like butter..........and it does not.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve at the tranny shop???

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:
Took it back to the shop Monday. They said they would change the valve body to OEM.(new one). That might make a difference. They are also going to have the computer updates done it as well. I asked them to check the whine in the front of the truck as I was really thinking it was the front Diff. They say they hear front diff noise, and they hear transfer case noise. Its all under warranty, so its all good, but will have to wait to open the claim until I get home from a July 4th mini vacation.
I remember those on here suggesting some of their noise was from the front bearings. How do you check that?? I had bearings go on some of our work vans and they were very loud, but thats when they were at their worst. Plus they are Fords.
I know the noise is there, and iy seems to be most prominet when going at least 40MPH or more with foot OFF the gas. As soon as you give it gas, it seems to get much quieter, but still there ever so slightly. Anyone else here experience the same?? What was the end fix???
THANKS

·
Registered
2006 ESCALADE EXT
40 Posts
BS, a hard shifting transmission is going to have a significantly reduced lifespan, period.
Thats NOT TRUE!! A transmission (such as OEM) that shifts soft, is because when they build them they allow a certain amount of slippage to soften the shifts. this greatly reduces your clutch material. when a vehicle has firm shifts it has less slip thus longer clutch band life. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about banginf gears hard as shit while beating the shit out of the trans. But a lil firmer shift will actually improve the tranny's life, NOT reduce it. Not to mention better gas milage with firmer shifts. Due to less slippage which = less power loss

·
Registered
2006 ESCALADE EXT
40 Posts
I've never heard of these trucks needing any computer updates for shifting. That is again... the band-aid fix BMW used to do for E65 owners, just "update the software" and for me it didn't do shit.
Actually my Father worked at Cadillac for 6 years. These trucks, along with the chevy's and GMC's had more than a few ECU reflashes due to trans problems. One was for the tranny going into a false nuetral. You probably never heard of it cause every time there is a problem people think the tranny is blown and get it rebuilt instead of getting the reflash because they don't know bout it either. Another reason is, if you bring your truck to the dealer for service they automatically do the updates without even telling you.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Educate me more on these updates if you don't mind. When I had it at the shop yesterday, they said they would take it to a non-caddy shop that has the computer software to do the updates. The way he explained it was that they have the ability to manually?? change shift points etc.

I was sort of thinking that this re-flash was a SET program as an update to this transmission. No manual manipulation would be necessary within this program. Is that correct????

I also agree about what you said about the FIRM shifting, but this is not a firm, but way too noticeable for my taste. And anyway, wouldn't the same FIRMNESS be felt on the upshifting throughout all the gears? My problem is on the downshift, very noticeable from 3 to 2 and somewhat noticeable from 2 to 1.

Thanks for the help and the explanation. :cool:

·
Registered
2006 ESCALADE EXT
40 Posts
Educate me more on these updates if you don't mind. When I had it at the shop yesterday, they said they would take it to a non-caddy shop that has the computer software to do the updates. The way he explained it was that they have the ability to manually?? change shift points etc.

I was sort of thinking that this re-flash was a SET program as an update to this transmission. No manual manipulation would be necessary within this program. Is that correct????

I also agree about what you said about the FIRM shifting, but this is not a firm, but way too noticeable for my taste. And anyway, wouldn't the same FIRMNESS be felt on the upshifting throughout all the gears? My problem is on the downshift, very noticeable from 3 to 2 and somewhat noticeable from 2 to 1.

Thanks for the help and the explanation. :cool:
The Re-Program they do at Caddy is a set program from GM, they take out the old program and replace it with an updated one.

Changing the shift points and firmness you can do by buying one of those programmers (bully-dog etc.)

Firmness should only be felt on upshifts, you should never really feel an auto tranny downshift. I have a crazy track-only shift kit in my monte and i don't feel anything on the downshifts. (I know its a diff. trans using as an example.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts